EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, 5944 said:

You're missing a loco from the sound of it...

• Funny 4

It does appear that some folk have more money than sense,a Ron Dodd magnetiser currently at £205 + p & P with 4 days to go.You can buy them direct off Ron for around £125 thereabouts.Item.no 224577368174.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, 5944 said:

Having looked through this seller's other listings, he sells DVDs, books, toy cars and memorabilia. At the moment he lists only four model railway items - I did wonder if I might find the loco itself listed separately! Given how many "signed" and 'rare' items he lists, I assume that he saw the "limited edition" certificate and thought "££" and that the box and instructions alone must be "collectable"...

I mean, I understand folk collecting models etc, but I have never heard of anyone who collects instructions or empty boxes without the contents of said boxes?! 

Steve S

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Aha…now I see it. Nigel Farage! Once of UKIP….:D

It was obvious to me, but probably a bit too vague for others.

Must be the way my warped mind works. :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit sad but many years ago a dealer offered to buy the boxes for my Dinky lorries, leaving  me to keep the models. This was at a swapmeet in Bridgenorth, I suppose in the 1990s. I kept my boxes.

- Richard.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 47137 said:

It was a bit sad but many years ago a dealer offered to buy the boxes for my Dinky lorries, leaving  me to keep the models. This was at a swapmeet in Bridgenorth, I suppose in the 1990s. I kept my boxes.

- Richard.

It was common practice in the diecast collecting world to put played with models into boxes and pass them off as mint boxed. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It was common practice in the diecast collecting world to put played with models into boxes and pass them off as mint boxed. 

I've even seen reproduction boxes for sale.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, rab said:

There's always one. :)

I thought it was quite subtle...

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Took me four re-reads before the penny dropped! :swoon:

Naughty! :nono:

Steve S

All I can say is, don't binge-watch David Attenborough!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 16:43, SteveyDee68 said:

I mean, I understand folk collecting models etc, but I have never heard of anyone who collects instructions or empty boxes without the contents of said boxes?! 

With the exception of the Museum of Packaging or whatever it's called, you are unlikely to come across such people because they're rarely allowed outside their institution's fence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

With the exception of the Museum of Packaging or whatever it's called, you are unlikely to come across such people because they're rarely allowed outside their institution's fence.

Aren't we all on the inside, one way or another? Or is the world of football and fast cars a construct of the Matrix?

• Funny 5

6 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Let me see, do I bid on an auction for a second hand one, or buy it now for a new one...Hmmmm..  I bet when the auction closes, they will be paying more the 2nd hand one...
Capture.JPG.4de68c5ed9a42b3d14a77e5eae8677f2.JPG

At those prices, if I were looking for a post-TOPS Blue Class 45, I'd go for the new one.

As it is, the silly bidders are stuck on £120 with just over an hour to go. Even if the bid stays as it is, the best thing is that there are 5 of the brand new ones still available for only £6.30 more!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

Gah! I missed it. I doubt there would have been anyone sniping at 5 seconds to go, but I would to have known what it went for. I should have made a note of the item number :-(

Here you go  Sold Bachmann 32-685SD .  It went for £130 (including delivery), 50p cheaper than the new one, of which there are still 5 left!

I found it by searching for Bachmann 32-685SD and clicking on the sold items box in the ebay column on the left

Edited by Hroth
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

On 24/08/2021 at 13:05, Hroth said:

Here you go  Sold Bachmann 32-685SD .  It went for £130 (including delivery), 50p cheaper than the new one, of which there are still 5 left!

I found it by searching for Bachmann 32-685SD and clicking on the sold items box in the ebay column on the left

Its because people simply dont look at buy it now anymore. I had two lima 47s on ebay at £42.50 each. After a week or so i put them on auction at £0.99 each starting. They sold for £62 and £54 respectively and the buyer of the cheaper one was disappointed he missed out on the more expensive one. I did say it had been up before the auction on buy it now, the response "oh i don't check buy it nows!" Now while I'm inclined to agree the buy it now listings are awash with overpriced stuff occasionally you can find some good stuff but its also the weird and wonderful logic of eBay and its users!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I usually restrict searches to ‘buy it now’, as I find auctions time consuming and often unproductive if I discipline myself to a top bid level, and of course any other approach is the path to disaster.  An auction (or a real auction with an auctioneer and a gavel for that matter) site is always going to be to a degree predicated on two conflicting and rather wobbly concepts both of which tap in to the further concept that ‘hope lies eternal in the human breast’. 

Conflicting wobbly concept one, the buyer; ‘I hope that the seller needs the money urgently/doesn’t fully understand his item’s true value/nobody else wants it etc and I will walk away with a bargain’.

Conflicting wobbly concept two, the seller; ‘I’ve heard that model trains fetch really good prices at auctions; these hobbyist types get caught up in the excitement and bidding frenzies mean I pocket way more than the item is worth, so long, suckers’. 

Both of these scenarios occasionally play out in reality, but the general result of selling and buying at auction most of the time is mild disappointment and resignation (not dissimilar to buy it now in many ways), and it is sometimes deep frustration and anger if you are an outbid buyer, or your item doesn’t make reserve if you are a seller who misjudged demand.  eBay countdown feeding frenzies requiring nanosecond precision to ensure that your bid is the final one before time is up makes ‘winning’ (you don’t win, that’s just marketing hype, but sometimes you don’t lose as much as you might have) a bit of a lottery; it is possible to out in a higher bid than the item sells at and still lose the bidding war. 

I now only bother with auctions for very left field stuff that only comes up occasionally, otherwise I would rather save myself the time, effort, and general disappointment.  Buy it now for me, mostly…

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Personally, I look at every type of listing.

I search for what I’m looking for, and usually set up the results in increasing price as I scroll down.

There have been things I wanted that I have repeatedly been outbid, c’est la vie. 

One item came up, with something else, on a BIN, with offers. 

I risked an offer, which was accepted. 
That’s another item for the collection ticked off! 

The other part of the listing will find its way back on eBay at some point…

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've bought many things on eBay that I DID want by buying job lots of stuff I DIDN'T want, that happened to include them.  Mix-n-match the leftovers, usually with a much better drafted listing than the original (it still amazes me how little effort some sellers expect to put in to maximise their return) and what I wanted to retain usually ends up cheap.  Obviously though, the re-selling takes time and I do find selling more of a PITA than it used to be.  It's not just the messages from try-it-on merchants, it is actually the post and packing that can take plenty of time and even then I have sometimes underestimated just how much violence Royal Mail (other parcel mis-handling services are available) apparently use to move your parcel from A to B. 

Years ago I worked with people who were testing a ceramic item intended for a warship; to be approved it needed to survive shock testing, which it did.  It was dispatched back to us by Parcel Force; it arrived broken, which implied the shock and vibration in Parcel Force lorries (and the manhandling on/off) was greater than being torpedoed.

• Like 5
  • Funny 4