EBay madness

Marcyg

I always think that if you want something have multiple browser windows open to compare what is on offer.  But then there are many folks who are blinkered into thinking that "I won it", no you are the punter who paid the most!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Personally, I look at every type of listing.

I search for what I’m looking for, and usually set up the results in increasing price as I scroll down.

That's my modus operandi ... tagging several BIN sales as a kind of "benchmark" price to beat (so to speak - like when the SatNav says ETA is in 2 hours and I take that as the time to beat! :laugh_mini:) and then putting bids in accordingly before ignoring the auction... if I get 'sniped' then so be it.

I've lost a few auctions like that, sometimes by 50p and sometimes by a few pounds. If I don't succeed, I then check to see if the finishing price ended up above the BIN prices I am watching (invariably it does!) before seeing if any have the option of 'Best Offer'. I've been cheeky and put in £30 less before now (it worked, once!) but usually offer double the cost of the postage off. Many times that has been accepted, and I am happy with that (so, too, is the seller, presumably). Double smugness points when that comes in less than my original "reasonable bid" on an auction!

I never bid more than a BIN price for the same item from another seller - why would you? That, to my mind, is also 'eBay Madness'!

I did get myself 1-co-co-1 Bulleid 10201 very recently for less than asked for, but that joy at finally getting one of those models was slightly muted by 10203 selling just a few days later for £20 less than I paid (as that was the loco I really wanted but had given up hope of locating at a sensible price.)

As @Ruffnut Thorston also quite rightly said, "c'est la vie"

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Obviously though, the re-selling takes time and I do find selling more of a PITA than it used to be.

What he said, in spades, for me, and I've never sold anything on the Bay so I don't know how much of a PITA it used to be, only that it is more of one now!  I cannot imagine a situation in which I would want to waste any of my life, effort, skill, ingenuity, time (especially time) trying to get the best possible price for something on this or any other such site.  Come to that I cannot imagine a situation I would be bothered to do it at any level, never mind that of trying to get the best possible price.  All that packing and postage, presentation and photos, no way: forget it!

My attitude is perhaps not the normal percieved wisdom in this matter, and I can understand why some folks will be perturbed by my inability to finance my hobby in this way, but I buy model railway items because I 'need' (in the first world sense) them for my layout, and have no intention of ever reselling them.  Sometimes existing items are replaced by upgraded modern ones; for example, my ancient Airfix large prairie died on me and was replaced with a more recent Hornby one from eBay, which has now in turn been replaced with the current Hornby model.  The eBay Hornby is still in service as a spare and gets an occasional run, while the original loco, which I suppose I could have got enough as spares/repair on to buy a new wagon, has been kept in my 'things that might come in handy one day' drawer.  This has proved worth the effort, as it has now become the basis of a bodge to produce a reasonable facsimile of a Collett 1938 31xx.

Not much gets thrown away at Cwmdimbath, unless it is demonstrably useless in which case it gets the opportunity of an exciting new career in landfill.  I occasionally give things away to good homes (and have recieved other things as gifts as well, but not as exchanges).  I know that one man's rubbish might be another's treasure trove, but tbh I just can't be *rsed...

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I agree entirely.  I liken the situation to a carousel: What goes around, comes around. I've been after  an Aberdare 26xx for ages. I got one about 5 months ago, and although it needs working up, it's actually not too bad at all.  Add to that the scratch-built version lurking in the shadows. 

Being outbid is an ar$e, but take comfort in the fact that you've still got the money, and you might have more money in the kitty next time about.  From a loco centric point of view, there is only so many RTR models left for you. Perhaps, just perhaps, the next model release might be yours.....

• Like 4

I currently have 53 searches on the go and I have seen things I want sail past, but that is life. I watch and I get a indication on what people are paying for stuff.  I do watch all items, and I get lots of Buy it now's but no-one ever seems to buy it now. Sometimes, if you watch something, the seller will offer you a discount, and it may or may not be worth it. but when you watch the auctions and see that none of them ever get as high as any of the buy it now prices, you do start to figure out the going rate and then you just jump on-board and swim with the crowd until it becomes your turn to win at a price you are comfortable with. Yes it can be drawn out, but it's not as if I have deadlines to buy stuff. :pardon:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I tend to search through for stuff I want regularly but recently found a very wierd thing.

Was looking at various kits a few more old Airfix added a few WM locos checked for a particular class.

Sponsored links

Signed photos of Theresa May but it was not her, some little picture of NOT Mrs May.

NOTE: I have NEVER never tried to buy a politician on Ebay!

Just been back on sponsored is now more generic model railway junk

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MJI said:

I tend to search through for stuff I want regularly but recently found a very wierd thing.

Was looking at various kits a few more old Airfix added a few WM locos checked for a particular class.

Sponsored links

Signed photos of Theresa May but it was not her, some little picture of NOT Mrs May.

NOTE: I have NEVER never tried to buy a politician on Ebay!

The letter h in Theresa is important, especially I suspect to our ex-PM. If you miss it out you find her namesake; also in the public domain but a different business.

- Richard.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 47137 said:

The letter h in Theresa is important, especially I suspect to our ex-PM. If you miss it out you find her namesake; also in the public domain but a different business.

- Richard.

Apparently, the other Mrs May enjoys a large majority: So I'm told, I wouldn't now....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 47137 said:

- Richard.

9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Apparently, the other Mrs May enjoys a large majority: So I'm told, I wouldn't now....

I see what you mean....

I also see the White House once got the two confused.  I'd have investigated the internet browsing history of the staffer who made the mistake!

Edited by Hroth
erring on the side of caution...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

I’ve been bidding on rare kits which have gone to dizzy levels, thinking thank goodness I pulled out!! Then being patient I’ve managed to get the same kit usually for far less. An M&L Great Bear made over 350, wow, I was well out of the bidding on that one, however a few weeks later two more were listed, one started at a bargain basement figure and one at a sensible start figure.. I put a maiden bid in on the sensibly priced one, waited the week and was the buyer!! Concurrently the bargain basement one was attracting lots of interest and went well past my winning bid!!!! Good job my one finished before the second one!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

I have a search page (s) on here. Not just model railways, but anything of interest. As the auction times down, I'll re-review the pages... "Do I really need this?" Most of the time, I'll let the item go. After all, the carousel effect still holds true. If it's what I 'need', then fine, otherwise I'm not too worried about losing a bid. Like others, someone is liable to outbid me, so the basic premise is that I didn't try hard enough to bid for the item. Either that, or he bidding is beyond realistic levels. 

I always get amused by the tags 'RARE' or 'LOOK'. By & large, it can't be many rare items that warrant a production run of 1,000 or more... 

• Agree 4

BELEIVE A KIT BUILT MOTORIZED BRAKE/ENGINEERS VAN B.R.

Some people will believe anything!

Its a freelance interpretation/stab at a Y6, with a Triang motor bogie* (with knurled wheels) beneath, and given prices at the moment, the finishing price of £37 plus postage is about what gets asked for the motor bogie on its own.  The upperworks are a bit wonky, that head on shot is painful!

* Actually, more like a Dock Authority shunter chassis from the underneath view?

Edited by Hroth
I can't even spell "Triang" now....
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was looking for a book yesterday, quite an old one now and after browsing Ebay and finding numerous copies, all second hand, most using a stock photo 'not of actual item for sale, may differ from one illustrated, etc' and all twenty to twenty five quid upwards plus postage, I thought I would give the original publishers a whirl.

One brand new copy now on its way to me for £18.99 delivered.

eBay is getting more and more like a rip off by the day.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I feel slightly unclean and traitorous now. I have bought something from Gostude. I assume I now need to whip myself with birch branches?

There was an element of the usual with it (although amazingly as it was some wheels I'm surprised it didn't have "kit built" in the title) as it still had the original John Dutfield price label on it which was about half his asking price (although still about £10 less than if I bought direct from the manufacturer). At least take the label off before listing it!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Amazing. You can buy a brand new 00 gauge locomotive from a retailer for a lot less than that. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting the description is 'used' seeing as it is apparently made from welsh coal does this mean it's been steamed? 

The other one that has appeared here is still for sale at £32.00 minus its chimney and buffers, that one is definitely used!

With coal becoming scarce should these be now collected and tipped into a firebox?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/prairie-tank-on-stand-Locomotive-Black-/144045415615?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I feel slightly unclean and traitorous now. I have bought something from Gostude. I assume I now need to whip myself with birch branches?

There was an element of the usual with it (although amazingly as it was some wheels I'm surprised it didn't have "kit built" in the title) as it still had the original John Dutfield price label on it which was about half his asking price (although still about £10 less than if I bought direct from the manufacturer). At least take the label off before listing it!

You missed the 'r' from between the U and the D.

• Funny 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334084818676?hash=item4dc901c6f4:g:bOAAAOSwEylg-DG7

Described as

"EXCELLENT. This locomotive has been professionally assembled and painted. (By whom?).

Fitted with an open type motor with fine gearing. There are some light marks.

It is working, but will attention to the valve gear on the left side as on of the parts had come away, but is included.

With a little fettling you will be away".

So not working then!

and 

"OO SCALE" is not a scale. (4mm -1ft is the scale). 

• Like 3