EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I think this comes somewhere between "optimistic" and "delusional"?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234163442976

Same with the chair screw they are selling.

I see they are also selling a moulded coal miner made out of coal, presumably he is made from the missing bits from the prairie tank seen earlier by another vendor

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I think this comes somewhere between "wildly optimistic" and "delusional"?

Clearly a graduate from the "Old = Rare = Collectable = Valuable" school of amateur (and invariably unsuccessful) antique sellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Based on the above I have around £1000 sat in my gardens as boot scrapers 

I had a North British track chair dated 1906, which I salvaged from the course of a long closed hospital siding.   I reckoned it was of little value and so I left it behind when I moved house in 1989.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I went through his list, there's a few old bottles that caught my eye. The back garden of my house when I lived in Romford had been the site of a Victorian rubbish pit and I often dug up bottles similar to the ones he is selling. One particular bottle stood out on his list though, an Art Deco perfume bottle that he obviously has no idea what it is. At £9.99 I might just be tempted.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384371034270?hash=item597e4c889e:g:ZHkAAOSwn-VhArU9

Why is it that kit built K's GWR autocoaches, offered on ebay, always seem to be missing one buffer?

For the record, does anyone still supply autocoach buffers as spare parts?

I'd be interested in sourcing such buffers, complete with the housings, if anyone does, Paul.  I have a couple of eBay Airfix trailers bought as buffer donors, and of course it would be good to be able to bring them into service as spares, perhaps as a rebuild to A27 project.  Whitemetal buffer castings are a bit fragile, but looking at eBay Airfix A30s shows that RTR ones can be as well!

Maybe a job for 3D printing? 

I have 2 of these K's A31s, one from an exhibition stall and t'other from the 'Bay, both missing buffers.  Currently one is missing the two brake end buffers, and I am looking for cheap 'Bay A30s.  They are not bad models worked up with interiors and floors, and I have plated the toplights on one of mine (W 207 W), but of course they are a bit crude compared to current standards. 

The 'American' bogies supplied with the kit are incorrect for the body castings; A31s were rebuilds of steam railmotors which were built in two lots, one by Swindon with the normal single passenger vestibule door, and one by Gloucester RCW with double doors, this latter being the type modelled by Ks.  3 types of bogies found their way under the rebuilds, the Americans as Ks supply with the kit, the Churchward era 'fishbelly' 8'6", and the Collett 7'.  Quoting from Lewis:-

202 - Fishbelly, double doors

203 - 7' Collett, double doors

204 - American, single door

205 - 7' Collett, single door

207 - Fishbelly, double doors, plated toplights after painting in BR crimson livery

208 - 7' Collett, double doors

209 - 7' Collett, double doors

211- 7' Collett, single door

219 - Fishbelly, double doors.

My other one is W 209, in early 1948 chocolate & cream.  A feature of these trailers, which may be shared with other SRM rebuilds, is that the brake end bogie pivot, which replaced the SRM enging unit, is set further in from the end of the trailer than the bogie at the driving cab end, which is a bit odd, and particularly noticeable with the 7' bogies on W 209.

To summarise, only 204 had American bogies, and as this was a rebuild from a  Swindon built SRM, it should have a single passenger vestibule door with a single window.  All 3 types of bogie are available as 3D prints from Stafford Road Works via Shapeways, and NEM pockets are printed in.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Yeah, that's pretty delusional.  On the other hand... there was a myth when I was on the railway in the 70s that, in celebration of their world record ordinary share dividend (1909?), which I believe still holds, the Taff Vale Railway had a gold plated rail chair cast, and installed hidden somewhere on their network.  Rubbish of course, but you never know...

• Like 3

On 28/08/2021 at 16:56, Hroth said:

Some people will believe anything!

Its a freelance interpretation/stab at a Y6, with a Triang motor bogie* (with knurled wheels) beneath, and given prices at the moment, the finishing price of £37 plus postage is about what gets asked for the motor bogie on its own.  The upperworks are a bit wonky, that head on shot is painful!

* Actually, more like a Dock Authority shunter chassis from the underneath view?

Triang Transcontinental motor bogie,  also used for the Dock authority shunter and TC switcher

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Considering you can pick up such things at preserved railway secondhand stalls for less than £2, that is probably the greatest potential profit margin I've ever seen on anything on eBay.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

'CCW MTK Kit Built 00 Gauge BR Maroon Suburban B coach Lawrence Goddard', condition new, oo, this looks good...

Turns out it's a pair of aluminium shells and matching whitemetal end pieces for LMS non-gangwayed brake thirds, painted and lined with what look like HMRS transfers.  No other detail, no underframe, glazing, bogies ventilators, handrails, door handles, interiors. numbers or even paint on the insides; the whitemetal ends are not painted at all.  It's that nice Mr Gostude again, folks!  Later description includes such gems as 'professionally painted' (fair play the finish isn't bad) and 'it's right up there with Larry Goddard and Derek Lawrence'; that might be Gostude's opinion, I couldn't possibly comment.  'With a few light marks', 'an ideal rake to finish', and. of course, it almost goes with out saying 'a great item for your collection'.

And how much does Mr Gostude want as a great item for his money collection?  A snip at £89.50!!!  Dream on, brother, I picked up a pair of these unpainted a while back as part of a job lot containing 2 GW C63 shells I wanted for a fiver. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I had a North British track chair dated 1906, which I salvaged from the course of a long closed hospital siding.   I reckoned it was of little value and so I left it behind when I moved house in 1989.

One of mine is an LSWR rail chair from 1901

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

........CCW MTK Kit Built

They're neither of these, they're Westdale aluminium wrappers. A reasonably good paint job but no holes pre-drilled for door furniture which when done could damage the paintwork. As for 'Larry Goddard....mmm!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Considering you can pick up such things at preserved railway secondhand stalls for less than £2, that is probably the greatest potential profit margin I've ever seen on anything on eBay.

Well the price is eyewatering but it is in the USA and I doubt you find many on stalls for £2 (or $3) there... 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

They're neither of these, they're Westdale aluminium wrappers. A reasonably good paint job but no holes pre-drilled for door furniture which when done could damage the paintwork. As for 'Larry Goddard....mmm!

He's clever enough to mention 'Lawrence Goddard' in the strapline, but when it comes to the details, it's 'up there with'  Scribing the sides to represent the doors is also going to wreak havoc with the paintwork and the lining xfers. 

He's nothing if not entertaining!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Neil said:

Thirty four pounds fifty for an empty box?

Good news if you miss this bargain he does have another for sale. Careful, don't get trampled in the rush.

There's a box with contents going for around the same price, though as is so common on ebay (its the madness, you know), there are lots of Hornby Austerities/J94s at vastly overinflated prices...

Hope springs eternal in a vendors breast, eh?  :rofl:

Edited by Hroth
accuracy...
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I heard it at Radyr, so I wonder if Mike Stationmaster was familiar with it.  Queen Alexandra Dock, 'the Queen's' as it was known in our house, was opened in 1907.

To be fair, I think Mike Stationmaster came along a bit after the opening of Alexandra Dock. Come to think of it, so did you & I....  Mind you, it'll be funny. 

" In news today, Police were called  to  apprehended 2 individuals,  attempting to dig up the roundabout at Gabalfa Interchange.  Although the suspects escaped, they left vital evidence, which consisted of a shovel, metal detector, and a soggy copy of the South Wales Echo..."

• Funny 4