EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, andytrains said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334084818676?hash=item4dc901c6f4:g:bOAAAOSwEylg-DG7

Described as

"EXCELLENT. This locomotive has been professionally assembled and painted. (By whom?).

Fitted with an open type motor with fine gearing. There are some light marks.

It is working, but will attention to the valve gear on the left side as on of the parts had come away, but is included.

With a little fettling you will be away".

So not working then!

and 

"OO SCALE" is not a scale. (4mm -1ft is the scale). 

How on earth is that going to be made a runner as the piston rod for the steam chest has either gone missing or come undone in someway, along with the valve chest slide bar.... weathering is not by a professional....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

Let us all applaud the quality workmanship! I particularly like how the spokes of the front leading wheel do not fit the rim. {French Chef's kiss}

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353642563224?hash=item5256bd4698:g:OFYAAOSwZIZhJlCR

Not to mention the interesting 'interference' fit of the chimney and dome, with the typical wonky off centre ....

Edited by John Besley
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/08/2021 at 10:29, Paul H Vigor said:

Yes, me too, but at least you can see how a non-railway minded person, or even a railway minded one not familiar with the tram loco genre and having never heard of Toby, might describe this in this way.  I felt a tad guilty for the way my chuckle made me feel smug and superior...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 28/08/2021 at 16:56, Hroth said:

Some people will believe anything!

Its a freelance interpretation/stab at a Y6, with a Triang motor bogie* (with knurled wheels) beneath, and given prices at the moment, the finishing price of £37 plus postage is about what gets asked for the motor bogie on its own.  The upperworks are a bit wonky, that head on shot is painful!

* Actually, more like a Dock Authority shunter chassis from the underneath view?

The Dock Authority Shunter actually used the Transcontinental (T.C.) Series EMB (Earlier pattern Motor Bogie) motor bogie as the chassis, so it is a motor bogie. 

The Tram Loco certainly has the larger wheels used on T.C EMB motor bogies.

I think that the AL1 (?) electric loco motor bogie also used the larger wheels?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

It doesn't seem that rare but IMHO is an example of 'Wrenn Madness', being a roofless plywood van body with a coal load.

Oh I don't know? A roofless iron mink, filled with coal, sounds pretty rare to me! But certainly not £99.00 rare!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Oh I don't know? A roofless iron mink, filled with coal, sounds pretty rare to me! But certainly not £99.00 rare!

I actually had one of those because at the time I was collecting Wrenn wagons and would buy every new issue from Hattons.    According to the Wrenn "bible",  From Binns Road to Basildon and Beyond by Maurice Gunter there were 129 of these wagons originally issued in grey in 1991/2.   Mine went about twenty years ago as part of a job lot of around 200 Wrenn wagons which I sold to a serious collector for 2,000 pounds.  Both of us were very pleased with the deal, 10 pounds per wagon represented a very good return on my investment and no doubt that among the many more common wagons there would have been a few rarities which were changing hands for inflated prices.    In the context of the many "Limited Editions of 100" which retailers have commissioned from Dapol in more recent times, 129 is not that rare.  I still have some Wrenn wagons, but this is not something I would pay 99.95 for. 

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

As said above, this was exactly as issued.

59707BD9-E9F7-47E7-A307-05ADFB06603F.jpeg.24b623b0383202610d3334f5e1bab062.jpeg

It is from the old Hornby Dublo SD6 Gunpowder Van tool, without the roof, and with a coal load from the Coal Wagon included. The wagon body presumably being held on by the screw into the coal load, instead of the roof.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Its a new loco that has had "added value" customisation by a retailer for sale.

To be fair, if you go to the TMC site , you'll see their charges for various "addons" like crew, custom weathering and Sound DCC.  Just for those additions to the base model they charge £391.50*. I suppose you could rack up the £25.25 difference by adding "ebay delivery" and their own presentation box.

But yes, its a bit of a stretch from the basic model price, though they'll supply one for £161.46 which is slightly better than ballpark. 

* A retailer in Sheffield (not Rails) who I have always thought of as on the expensive end of the spectrum, will offer a similar spec for only £371.00. A snip!

Edited by Hroth
extra stuff
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I would contend respectfully that 'only' and '£371' do not belong in the same sentence, Hroth, and certainly not next to each other!

To put this in perspective, a brand new 'full fat' locomotive, with DCC and sound, professionally weathered and detailed is going to be an expensive thing nowadays, with the base models around the £150 mark or more.  Whether it is proper to describe such a model as 'brand new, unused, and unopened' is moot; it must have been opened in order for the weathering and detailing to have been carried out.  TMC are old hands at the game and know what they can get for their stuff, and are not put off by the sound of the nations' jaws hitting tables...

Is the price justified?  Tbh, I don't know, not being party to how many professional man/hours are involved in weathering and detailing of this sort.  A pro can probably work a lot faster than me and produce much better results, and the photo shows that this is a very effective peice of work, with subtle oil staining around the grilles, and not a mere sprayover/wash on wipe off Job.  It is of course justified if you have over £400 burning a hole in your pocket and want a detailed, weathered, class 25 in this livery withough doing the work yourself.  I have little doubt that this item will sell, despite the price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I would contend respectfully that 'only' and '£371' do not belong in the same sentence, Hroth, and certainly not next to each other!

I'm a bit blasé on "only" and "£371", I've just signed contracts on a house move... 

As for calling it "new", its not previously left the trader in the hot sticky hands of a purchaser, and they've applied a scheme of work that they advertise as options on their website.  I'd say its fair to say that it's new.  If you want an unmodified one, they're pretty "cheap" for the base model, and they'r quite happy to see you one of those.

If one is in the market for such a model, then I would imagine that its not excessively priced.  Unlike the old bangers some of our favourite "Ebay Madness" vendors offer at similar prices!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely.  I would regard this loco as brand new, but there is often a grey area surrounding whether or not a model railway or similar item has been taken out of it’s box, which is of little concern to me so long as whoever took it out handled it properly, but might be to a collector.  That said, a collector would probably not be interested in an item like this that is not in the same condition as it left the factory in. 

But online purchasing requires a degree of trust between seller and buyer, and descriptions such as ‘unopened’ which are demonstrably not true in the strictest sense muddy the waters unnecessarily IMHO.  A unknowledgeable purchaser might think that Heljan produce locomotives in this condition, which is a little off the mark.  Whether this matters or is important may or may not be germane, but it’s probably nothing to lose sleep over!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In my book, if it has been touched or altered in any way by a third party (i.e. not the original manufacturer) then it is most definitely NOT new.  This is unused modified second hand.

Oh, and it is well over priced as well.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

I don't have a problem with their calling that new. 

They've newly made it from an unused product they got from their supplier.

I wouldn't pay the price they're asking, but that's because I think it probably looked better before they gave it their treatment.

I'm not keen on weathering locos.  Unless you weather everything else it's unconvincing, and I don't have the time or the skills for that.

Besides it's less expensive without the weathering.  And I will be most surprised if the Suttons Class 25 isn't significantly better anyway,

• Like 1