EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Insane.  I don't think this is even out of print, so can be purchased at 'any good bookseller'.  One would be interested to hear from anyone who bought this 'bargain' at this 'great price' as to what their reason for buying it was.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Actually the original format Railway Stories books have gone out of print and have become hard to find but that in no way justifies the price being asked for there.  A cursory look across Ebay reveals plenty of second hand examples of various stories in varying conditions with various prices ranging from reasonable to having a laugh.

It seems to be the later Christopher Awdry penned ones that seem to be the scarcest though.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Insane.  I don't think this is even out of print, so can be purchased at 'any good bookseller'.  One would be interested to hear from anyone who bought this 'bargain' at this 'great price' as to what their reason for buying it was.

The Monty Python sketch springs to mind. "Ethel the Aardvark goes quantity surveying". 

• Agree 2

17 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

Have some fun, make them an offer as unrealistically low as their asking price is unrealistically high.  I'd say £12.54 for starters.

• Funny 4

9 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I just noticed that "Pro Serviced" 142 has another problem, the drivers both ends are sitting in the middle, it ain't going anywhere until they budge over to their left to reach the controls....

Just because I'm inquisitive,  you understand,  I've asked the seller what 'pro-serviced' actually means.......

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

It means what it says, no more and no less.  To gain an understandion of what the seller means as opposed to what he probably thinks you think it might mean, one needs to define 'pro', and my dictionary app suggests that it is an adverb indicating favour of a propostion or opinion.  In this case I would suggest it is the sellers' opinion that you, as the putative buyer, should buy the item at the price asked because it is also his opinion that you will believe that it has been serviced by a professional of some description; there is no indication that it has been serviced by a professional in the field of model railway servicing, and might well have been serviced by a professional soldier under fire in a dugout for all you know...

Caveat Emptor!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

37 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It means what it says, no more and no less.  To gain an understandion of what the seller means as opposed to what he probably thinks you think it might mean, one needs to define 'pro', and my dictionary app suggests that it is an adverb indicating favour of a propostion or opinion.  In this case I would suggest it is the sellers' opinion that you, as the putative buyer, should buy the item at the price asked because it is also his opinion that you will believe that it has been serviced by a professional of some description; there is no indication that it has been serviced by a professional in the field of model railway servicing, and might well have been serviced by a professional soldier under fire in a dugout for all you know...

Caveat Emptor!

OK, so I paraphrased my initial post on the subject. 

Here's the actual text of the message:

"Hi, can you please expand on what you mean by 'pro-serviced' please?

Thanks in advance."

What's your semantical analysis now?

ps I've no intention whatsoever of entering into an agreement to purchase :nono:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

You come across as a rational and reasonable person, Andy, and I would have been gobsmacked if you'd said that you had any other intention than the one you have stated!  My guess is that you will not get a response to your request for the seller to expand on what he means by 'pro-serviced', but if you do, it would be really interesting to know what it was!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Caveat Emptor!

Wot 'e said.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I've asked where they plucked that price from...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

You come across as a rational and reasonable person, Andy, and I would have been gobsmacked if you'd said that you had any other intention than the one you have stated!  My guess is that you will not get a response to your request for the seller to expand on what he means by 'pro-serviced', but if you do, it would be really interesting to know what it was!

Screenshot_20210909-204430_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Clever.  He makes it look as if the model has been serviced 'by' an authorised Hornby repair centre, but has cunningly actually stated that it has been serviced 'b', which is meaninless and unprovable.  Looks to me like a bit of a chancer as well as having unrealistic expectations of the value of what he is selling.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Is there even such a thing any more as an authorised Hornby service centre? I tried to find a list and failed. Found a few threads that the main subject was a lack of them.

And these days you'd probably need some kind of degree in Hornby model engineering to set yourself up as an 'authorised Hornby service centre'? 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Though I haven’t read any of Christopher’s stories, I think that “Wilbert” is an Austerity Saddle Tank Loco on the Dean Forest Railway, that is named after his father, Rev. Wilbert Awdry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Though I haven’t read any of Christopher’s stories, I think that “Wilbert” is an Austerity Saddle Tank Loco on the Dean Forest Railway, that is named after his father, Rev. Wilbert Awdry.

Indeed it is, I just dug out my copy and read it!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John M Upton said:

He's America, home of the "think of a number and put a one in front of it."

• Funny 2

Well, Ladies and Germs,

I have had my eyes opened today, when I found a site that is in competition with eBay, and lordy is it Seasonal Adjustment Disorder, SAD for short. I have tried searching on some of my eBay search terms, and I've gotten next to nothing, it is mainly postcard sellers from what I have seen, but this made me chuckle...

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/sign-for-layout-x-3-190891694.htm

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, Esmedune said:

Well, Ladies and Germs,

I have had my eyes opened today, when I found a site that is in competition with eBay, and lordy is it Seasonal Adjustment Disorder, SAD for short. I have tried searching on some of my eBay search terms, and I've gotten next to nothing, it is mainly postcard sellers from what I have seen, but this made me chuckle...

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/sign-for-layout-x-3-190891694.htm

I believe this is "PRO-WEATHERED"

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/00-gauge-british-2-6-2-prairie-steam-engine-locomotive-for-spares-repair-195168802.htm

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2021 at 21:28, Hroth said:

The madness probably began when the vendor published their starting price.

Bids are indications of lunacy.

If you want an OO9 rail crane, the freelance 3D printed one is a tad cheaper...

QED:

Backwoods Miniatures - Darjeeling & Himalayan Class B 0-4-0ST + WT for 009

https://ebay.us/e3510h

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Our friend with the extortionate "Pro Serviced" Class 142 just made me an offer as I have it on my watch list thanks to this thread.

A whole hundred sheets off, only just shy of 250 notes now...

There is another identical model, no box but better overall nick than this one for sub forty on Ebay at the moment. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

There is another identical model, no box but better overall nick than this one for sub forty on Ebay at the moment. 

Don't tell him - he'll snap it up to put back on at an equally outrageous price!

I was planning on sending him a polite message suggesting he may have put his decimal point in the wrong place (knowing full well he hasn't) but it turns out that the "correct" price of £34.95 I was going to suggest as a joke turns out to be more realistic than I thought!

His message offering to knock £100 off the price absolutely confirms his original overpricing!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spellunk miztayks
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4