EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Well, I was going to get this haystackmodel, but as its not P4 I'm not interested...

image.png.54d8666c6e20ba8f3f2c768aea544b9c.png

At first glance I though that was a muffin with a large dollop of icing.

Cheers

Darius 

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, DLT said:

"Weathered" naturally by leaving in a damp shed?  Realistic rusting on the connecting rods...

I wonder who would want a pair of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284292131876

They were uncomfortable enough in situ!

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

As a relief from eBay nonsense, tonight I went to my local swapmeet for the first time in two years.  All those with tables (none of which appeared to be serious "traders"), were charging sensible, even bargain prices for nearly new as well as the really old stuff, collectible or otherwise.  To be honest the majority of the stock on the tables were collectible vehicles not model railways, but I managed to get a boxed Liliput Plasser Tamper, for £10.  OK so it's HO, not OO, but these were changing hands on eBay for many times that not long ago and I'm not selling it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DLT said:

The loco seems to have Romford style driving wheels, in an old Tri-ang Railways pre 1961 “plate frame” chassis, with no motor.

The tender drive looks to be Airfix or possibly Lima. All wheels have traction tyres, and are likely plastic, so pick ups must be from the loco…but no wires are fitted according to Rails experts…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The loco seems to have Romford style driving wheels, in an old Tri-ang Railways pre 1961 “plate frame” chassis, with no motor.

The tender drive looks to be Airfix or possibly Lima. All wheels have traction tyres, and are likely plastic, so pick ups must be from the loco…but no wires are fitted according to Rails experts…

I wondered if they meant £9.50???

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, John Besley said:

Just wondering what a weatherd bottom was...

A 'weatherd bottom' is when someone - other than yourself - applies earthy powders to your bot bot, and then 'fixes' it with a light spray of something suitable! If they get caught in the act, they'll get sent down for ten years! :keeporder:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

A 'weatherd bottom' is when someone - other than yourself - applies earthy powders to your bot bot, and then 'fixes' it with a light spray of something suitable! If they get caught in the act, they'll get sent down for ten years! :keeporder:

Thanks for the info.... my local model shop is now run by some very nice ladies.... how do I go about asking for these items now, do you think they'd demonstrate these ? :blush:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know whether to be slightly miffed or not. Just been contacted by a would be buyer. He’s upset because he didn’t win. Ie not meeting a reserve price. Ok maybe I’ve set the price a little high not sure. Kit built Garrett with comet chassis and wheels ok needs motors. Is it worth £100, no model shops near me so tend to base price on what’s on line on go lower. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

As far as the bidder is concerned, if he didn't meet the reserve that's the end of it. However, I don't see the point in using reserves on ebay - either I'll auction something with a low start and let it find it's level, or if I don't want it to go for less than £x I'll simply list it as a buy-it-now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, there are both buyers and sellers who think that the world owes them a living, and that the purpose of eBay is to provide bargains to buy or top dollar plus when you sell.  If the Garratt didn't make reserve, and the prospective buyer knew what the reserve was set at, I can't see what his grumble is; he was looking for a bargain, and is miffed because he didn't get one, but he is not entitled to one...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, farren said:

I don’t know whether to be slightly miffed or not. Just been contacted by a would be buyer. He’s upset because he didn’t win. Ie not meeting a reserve price. Ok maybe I’ve set the price a little high not sure. Kit built Garrett with comet chassis and wheels ok needs motors. Is it worth £100, no model shops near me so tend to base price on what’s on line on go lower. 

I would say GBP100 would be a bargain, tbh - and that would be buyer is, frankly, out of order.  As The Johnster says, he's NOT <entitled> to get a bargain.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, farren said:

Good point maybe I should do that from now on. It’s more the getting intotch 

If he was rude then fair enough, but if I was winning bidder on an item but it didn’t meet a reserve then assuming I was prepared to pay more than my winning bid I would contact the seller to see if any consensus could be reached  

• Like 1