EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Well, Ladies and Germs,

I have had my eyes opened today, when I found a site that is in competition with eBay, and lordy is it Seasonal Adjustment Disorder, SAD for short. I have tried searching on some of my eBay search terms, and I've gotten next to nothing, it is mainly postcard sellers from what I have seen, but this made me chuckle...

https://www.ebid.net/uk/for-sale/sign-for-layout-x-3-190891694.htm

They're TRAIN LAYOUT BITS according to the description.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

I've just had one of the seller offers for the Pacer...£249, what a bargain!! :laugh_mini:

Where else could you get such a fine example of wonky sticker application, followed by the valiant but futile attempt to peel it off again from the corner with the final air of defeat as the wrinkled corner is pressed back down.

image.png.0a745a60e8f687374f78f9faef87751b.png

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265305960371?hash=item3dc577afb3:g:PW4AAOSwFHlhJ0yJ

"condition GOOD" Another ignorant junk dealer!

If that's good I'd hate to see bad.... Designed to withstand gentle knocks and pristine BR livery apparently. So presumably it's had non-gentle knocks to lose the chimney, part of the smokey joe name and it looks suspiciously like a wheel is getting ready to drop off. Plus it's filthy, and so on.

It's a no from me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

Where else could you get such a fine example of wonky sticker application, followed by the valiant but futile attempt to peel it off again from the corner with the final air of defeat as the wrinkled corner is pressed back down.

Perhaps this, along with the wonky number, is what makes this item unique and accounts for the price:negative:

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

If that's good I'd hate to see bad.... Designed to withstand gentle knocks and pristine BR livery apparently. So presumably it's had non-gentle knocks to lose the chimney, part of the smokey joe name and it looks suspiciously like a wheel is getting ready to drop off. Plus it's filthy, and so on.

It's a no from me.

It won’t run either, at least not until you’ve recovered the piston rods from where they’ve been jammed and put them into the holes in the backs of the cylinders.  The front left hand wheel is out of square with the axle, probably loose so it’ll go out of quarter if you look at it funny, and the rear buffers are conspicuous by their absence.  

• Like 5

Maybe this high priced pacer person is doing the whole:

price it stupidly high
give what looks like a huge discount
snapped up by a buyer
seller gets a price more towards what they wanted
buyer thinks they got a fantastic deal

If the seller prices it at what they want, they'll get offers much lower.
But then why not just price it £20 higher than what you want?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

Actually....

I've travelled on Pacers from Liverpool to Wigan and back, and it was noticable that the destination blind was often cock-eyed.  Probably from the jolting ride that the misbegotten machine was prone to.  My heart would sink whenever I saw a Pacer ready to convey me.  I would often pray that a decent DMU would be rostered.....

The mechanism of the Hornby Pacer is as dire as the real thing, so its prototypically correct!  :scared:

As for the Smokey Joe

is designed to withstand gentle knocks

the illustrated loco clearly shows that while it might stand gentle knocks, its not likely to survive the sort of treatment meted out to that poor specimen.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

The mechanism of the Hornby Pacer is as dire as the real thing, so its prototypically correct!  :scared:

Obviously not looking at the Voith gearbox and germinder final drive which are excellent and work well with the cummins 225 hp engine which is fitted to all the 14X series units except the 141’s.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Actually....

I've travelled on Pacers from Liverpool to Wigan and back, and it was noticable that the destination blind was often cock-eyed.  Probably from the jolting ride that the misbegotten machine was prone to.  My heart would sink whenever I saw a Pacer ready to convey me.  I would often pray that a decent DMU would be rostered.....

Reminds me of when I work shadowing someone at the ABB and we were heading back from a meeting at Crewe to Derby and a fairly senior Regional Railways manager was coming back with us. Standing on the platform and instead of the expected 15x one of those heaps pulled in with the regular punters letting out a collective moan. The RR guy discretely removed his tie and ID before they could organise a lynch mob.

Still the only time I ever rode on one and that was enough.

• Funny 6

Uugh, just seen an item on Tatbay headlined "Unwanted Gift".

Quite apart from the fact these type of ads usually start appearing by 0700 on 25th December every year, so this one is well off piste, I really, really don't see what extra sales value advertising that you are an ungrateful clod of Earth adds to the advert.  Call me a "snowflake" if you fancy sampling hospital food through a straw, but if I was bought something as a gift, but had no use for it, I'd either donate it to a charity shop (after all I didn't pay for it and as it was a gift, I'd be forwarding on the generosity to help others) or if I was a tight fisted miser (which I'm not) and wanted filthy geld for my gift, I'd list it without the attention grabbing neon lit advert that you are an ingrate.  Especially as the world and his wife regularly pops into Tatbay and may stumble across the fact that gift they thought you would like was received with all the gratitude of a gift of raw sewage.

Labelling sales on eBay with "unwanted gift" really gets on my wick and just sums up what a nasty, crappy country we've become.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Uugh, just seen an item on Tatbay headlined "Unwanted Gift".

Quite apart from the fact these type of ads usually start appearing by 0700 on 25th December every year, so this one is well off piste, I really, really don't see what extra sales value advertising that you are an ungrateful clod of Earth adds to the advert.  Call me a "snowflake" if you fancy sampling hospital food through a straw, but if I was bought something as a gift, but had no use for it, I'd either donate it to a charity shop (after all I didn't pay for it and as it was a gift, I'd be forwarding on the generosity to help others) or if I was a tight fisted miser (which I'm not) and wanted filthy geld for my gift, I'd list it without the attention grabbing neon lit advert that you are an ingrate.  Especially as the world and his wife regularly pops into Tatbay and may stumble across the fact that gift they thought you would like was received with all the gratitude of a gift of raw sewage.

Labelling sales on eBay with "unwanted gift" really gets on my wick and just sums up what a nasty, crappy country we've become.

Much as I agree with your general sentiment, I resent that description of this country.  Surely the last 18 months has shown this country to be anything other than nasty, with the amount of time and donations given to charities and good causes by so many (in the first furlough period, all the charity shops around here were turning down volunteers).  Yes there are exceptions which make the headlines (like the people who bulk-bought hand sanitiser last March and immediately sold it on eBay at an inflated price) but they do so because they're unusual.

As for drawing attention to selling an unwanted gift, I have done this a lot "in a way".  A common Christmas gift from people is toiletries (often "gift sets") which charity shops do not want, if they cannot guarantee they have not been part-used or are incomplete.  We've often had a set of 3-4 items of which only 1-2 gets used, the rest are unopened.  Every year I do a car boot sale and include a small tray of such items at 50p each; they nearly always sell quickly.  So yes I make a few quid (literally) out of gifts, but since one of my weaknesses is 2nd-hand books from charity shops, they still benefit.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265305960371?hash=item3dc577afb3:g:PW4AAOSwFHlhJ0yJ

"condition GOOD" Another ignorant junk dealer!

Hmmm…the “Features” seem to be a “let’s click on every item” listing! :D

Painted, DCC ready, DCC fitted, Mixed Lot, Limited Edition, Advertising Specimen, Finescale

Not one of the indicated features applies! :nono: 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I think the battle getting people to realise that 00, EM etc are gauges and not scales is just about lost. I was looking a a major model railway website over the weekend, but forget which one, and their 4mm stuff was headed 00 Scale.

Found it.image.png.8e63ac41d58de6149b3e78bacf0a0eba.pngBranchline models are designed to be a consistent size that is known as OO scale. Our models are large enough to incorporate a high level of detail as well as many additional features such as directional lighting, sound effects and digital control. OO scale models run on a track with a gap of 16.5mm between the running rails and this track gauge is the most popular in the world.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

OO scale models run on a track with a gap of 16.5mm between the running rails and this track gauge is the most popular in the world.

I would defend their choice of words. OO scale describes neither the scale, 4 mm/ft, nor the gauge, 16.5 mm, but both together. There are numerous other gauges one can use when modelling at 4 mm/ft and, equally, numerous other scales one can use, when modelling with a track gauge of 16.5 mm. It's also true, as far as I'm aware, that 16.5 mm gauge is the most popular in the world, though I suppose the majority of modelling is to HO scale.

So when a manufacturer describes, say, an RTP building as "OO scale", they mean, "suitable for use by people modelling at 4 mm/ft on 16.5 mm gauge but the EM and P4 people will probably turn their noses up at it." On the other hand, if they describe an item as "OO/HO scale", they are themselves confused and spreading confusion.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2021 at 16:49, Paul H Vigor said:

"... designed to withstand gentle knocks." Amusing!

But how about hefty great knocks that destroy the chimney, which negates all of the chosen description - pristine..... etc. Or is the pristine referring to a clean break on the chimney - we need to know...

• Agree 3