EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

If he had sad ill give you a tenner extra  I’d would have probably said go on then but a straight moan, it’s not my fault it’s down there in black and white there’s a reserve. Maybe I just overpriced it, 

here’s a image so you can judge for yourself. 

it’s been withdrawn and I’ll finish it of in LMS at some point. 

73538A2F-FC75-4E1F-8E1F-231412A628E3.jpeg

• Like 4

The best method of listing on eBay, in my opinion, is to use the auction mode, but start the item at the lowest price you would be prepared to sell for…in effect, a reserve, but not a secret one (eBay reserves have to be at least £50.00 I believe, so there is a clue!).

Then everybody knows the lowest acceptable price, rather than putting in blind bids.

There is then nothing stopping the price going higher…but it can’t go lower. 

Better than setting a Buy It Now price, which could be lower than that realised if two or more people bid on the item….

You can also use offers with auctions, if you really want to cover all bases.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

Not a bargain to be had?

How about this one from the same seller?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284454371590?hash=item423acd4106:g:M-4AAOSwdwBhQ18o

We paid around £30.00 for a new Railroad version of this loco….;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The best method of listing on eBay, in my opinion, is to use the auction mode, but start the item at the lowest price you would be prepared to sell for…in effect, a reserve, but not a secret one (eBay reserves have to be at least £50.00 I believe, so there is a clue!).

Then everybody knows the lowest acceptable price, rather than putting in blind bids.

There is then nothing stopping the price going higher…but it can’t go lower. 

Better than setting a Buy It Now price, which could be lower than that realised if two or more people bid on the item….

You can also use offers with auctions, if you really want to cover all bases.

I totally agree with everything you've written but it still doesn't stop some people.  I have sold (cheap) cars on eBay with a starting price of say, £695* and been messaged by people asking, "Will you accept £250?".  Yes, I thought, that's why I started the auction at nearly three times that amount, ya numpty.........

*I sold a previous car for £395, the winning bidder was from Perth, over 400 miles away.  I never did hear from them.  Moron.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I totally agree with everything you've written but it still doesn't stop some people.  I have sold (cheap) cars on eBay with a starting price of say, £695* and been messaged by people asking, "Will you accept £250?".  Yes, I thought, that's why I started the auction at nearly three times that amount, ya numpty.........

*I sold a previous car for £395, the winning bidder was from Perth, over 400 miles away.  I never did hear from them.  Moron.

On the other hand I sold a rebuilt Wilesco Traction Engine for £350.00  which just about covered the build cost, the buyer was so pleased he sent me another £150.00 

The engine is on our web site Uskin Models...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Sadly, there are both buyers and sellers who think that the world owes them a living, and that the purpose of eBay is to provide bargains to buy or top dollar plus when you sell.  If the Garratt didn't make reserve, and the prospective buyer knew what the reserve was set at, I can't see what his grumble is; he was looking for a bargain, and is miffed because he didn't get one, but he is not entitled to one...

Generally speaking prospective buyers don't know the reserve, although they can ask.  However they DO know that they haven't bid high enough as low bidders are told "Reserve not met".  If they really want item they should bid again up to a maximum of what they think its worth. 

I generally list at the lowest price I'm prepared to to accept for an item and hope for more.  That does assume I have some idea of what is currently a fair price for something, which can be a problem.  When it's unsold, the seller has the option of trying again at the same price, or if he suspects he maybe over-egged it he can reduce when he relists.  Sometimes I relist as post free but add the postage charge to the start price and that can work.  But in the past I  have even successfully relisted with just a higher starting price!

I can afford to wait if nobody is interested, so I mostly just keep on relisting on the same terms till it does attract a buyer, but what happens next depends on the seller's position.  If he is desperate to get rid of it because he needs the space or is just desperate for cash he is likely to reduce his price - so for a potential buyer it is worth the price of an email to try it on and ask.  Don't take offence - just take a decision on any offer the potential may make, and stick to your guns if the offer is too low.

21 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I sold a car on Ebay, winning bidder was 150 miles away, but no problem.

• Like 3

Has anyone else had problems with 'ghost bidders' on ebay? They seem to drive the price of an item up, then disappear without paying. If you happen to be the next highest bidder you can be put in a tricky position if you actually really wanted the item. Left wondering if the 'ghost bidder' and the seller were a double act? All the 'ghost bidder's' fake bids should be nullified?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Has anyone else had problems with 'ghost bidders' on ebay? They seem to drive the price of an item up, then disappear without paying. If you happen to be the next highest bidder you can be put in a tricky position if you actually really wanted the item. Left wondering if the 'ghost bidder' and the seller were a double act? All the 'ghost bidder's' fake bids should be nullified?

I had that but I didn't go higher than what the item was worth and there was several bids above me. About a week later I was offered the item at my highest bid but by then I had found the same item and got it for a lower price than my bid.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294400794010?hash=item448ba79d9a:g:2oMAAOSwrsBgzm7-

An oddity??

Smokebox appears to extend too far forward, and its got a funny chimney?

It's not been neatly made, and I wouldn't mind betting it's Araldited together.  But it may not be the worst ever in terms of vfm if the bidding stays low.  It's a 'near' runner from the description, and if the kit can be taken apart, the parts straightened and fettled for a better fit, and reassembled and repainted properly you might have a tidy little loco for your beer vouchers.  The K's motor is famously feeble, but if the loco's work is trundling around a flat layout with a single plastic  auto trailer, this might not be a deal breaker.  Seller states that the loco needs stripping down to isolate and correct the short anyway.

Incidentlally, 14xx had cast iron chimney caps, not copper.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Ebay claim to be able to spot shill bidding but I have my doubts.

They take a higher fee if you get it at your last bid than they do if you get it at the last bid before the fake ones, so they have little incentive to ensure that auction are straight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Something odd going on here, a Bachmann Class 08 with a starting bid of £200 sounds very optimistic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174941727541?hash=item28bb56eb35:g:CmsAAOSwIG9hP35K&autorefresh=true

And then a little further down, the same loco (or at least one with identically broken steps at the front) from the same seller for £170

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174937955935?hash=item28bb1d5e5f:g:CmsAAOSwIG9hP35K

When I saw the first listing (the one for £170) I did wonder if this was someone who put a ridiculously high price on not knowing the worth, hoping to establish the value through the "Make an Offer" feature. That said, it's far easier to just look at sold listings to find the range that they go for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

Something odd going on here, a Bachmann Class 08 with a starting bid of £200 sounds very optimistic

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174941727541?hash=item28bb56eb35:g:CmsAAOSwIG9hP35K&autorefresh=true

And then a little further down, the same loco (or at least one with identically broken steps at the front) from the same seller for £170

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174937955935?hash=item28bb1d5e5f:g:CmsAAOSwIG9hP35K

When I saw the first listing (the one for £170) I did wonder if this was someone who put a ridiculously high price on not knowing the worth, hoping to establish the value through the "Make an Offer" feature. That said, it's far easier to just look at sold listings to find the range that they go for.

One is an auction the other buy-it now.  I strongly suspect it's the same loco and if one sells at that price he'll cancel the other listing.  Or perhaps he's honestly forgotten he's already listed it, if he really is just selling his uncle's toy train.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Guest Jack Benson

Just baffled, a Jackson Evans GWR 39xx sold for £225…much to the disgust of my chum whose limit was £200. Until last week, I had no clue that Jackson Evans ever made loco kits let alone anything about the 39xx.

Now, I know next to nothing about the GWR but I do know that rarer models can go bonkers if more than one bidder is determined to own something ‘unusual’. It made my eyes water.

StaySafe

Btw this is NOT the actual model

0B82091C-D795-44AE-8A3D-84B891620E4D.jpeg.cfc2b11fd223dc4e1d7a91a99dab3e79.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2021 at 18:09, andyman7 said:

As far as the bidder is concerned, if he didn't meet the reserve that's the end of it. However, I don't see the point in using reserves on ebay - either I'll auction something with a low start and let it find it's level, or if I don't want it to go for less than £x I'll simply list it as a buy-it-now.

Agreed.   I once bid 77 pounds on a rare Lima 37 but did not win it because of "reserve not met".    The seller immediately relisted and the runner up renewed his 75 pounds bid (back in the day when eBay allowed you to identify bidders).  I did not bid but watched the item.    The runner up went on to win the item for less.  Obviously the seller had now removed or lowered his secret reserve.   Karma to the seller for playing silly games with his "hidden reserve" first time round, he sold in the end for less than I was initially prepared to pay.  That's the give and take of eBay and I wasn't going to write to him complaining that I had lost out.   Instead I later bought the same item elsewhere for 40 pounds.

Buy-it-Now versus Auction is always, in my opinion, a gamble.  I recently restarted selling on eBay and listed a trio of common Hornby 1970's/80s era wagons on auction at 0.99 plus 3.20 postage.  Within minutes I was offered 7 pounds plus the postage if I would change to buy-it-now.  I checked the offerer's own eBay profile and saw that he had hundreds of model railway items listed for sale, so was almost definitely a dealer.  If he wanted to pay 7 for quick sale the items were probably worth a bit more to him for resale so I politely declned his offer.   The wagons sold on auction ten days later for just 3.49.    You win a few, you lose a few.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

EXCELLENT, BOXED CONDITION

TEST RUN

RENUMBERED/RELIVERIED/HEAVILY WEATHERED

**PLEASE STUDY PHOTOS WELL**

Boxed: YES

The poor thing. Looks like a Barry inmate! ;)

Please study photos well? Yes a good idea that.:D

Excellent Box Condition? :D

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added…
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1