EBay madness

Marcyg

14 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

That's pristine compared with the wheezers that used to trundle through Mickleover in the 60s!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The 158 Man said:

Look like it's been weathered by someone who studied a S111 Landrover after a heavy day off roading 

And what's up with the Chimney.... looks odd to me

Edited by John Besley
Schpelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

One of 3 Bachmann Ken Dodds for sale on Tatbay at the moment.  

DCC Doddy

Disappointed there's no sound option.

The vendor is pretty specific about how quickly he will send your purchase

Will be despatched using Royal Mail Special Delivery, as soon as possible after your payment has arrived in my bank account. I will tell you when it has been posted. Do not pay attention to eBay delivery dates and don't be surprised if Royal Mail does not deliver it next day under the present circumstances.

I don't care what eBay may try to tell you, but I will not sell outside of the UK!

And where he will send it it...

I notice that Doddy is apparently a "Jubilee", despite what the headline claims!

• Like 1

Gost-you-know-who never fails to entertain …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2151B-EMPTY-BOX-for-LMR-0-6-0-CLASS-J94-TANK-LOCOMOTIVE-McMURDO-nz-/363410699245?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Empty box for sale at a higher cost than other sellers are offering a similar box complete with a free gratis working model loco inside …

:rolleyes:

• Funny 4

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Gost-you-know-who never fails to entertain …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2151B-EMPTY-BOX-for-LMR-0-6-0-CLASS-J94-TANK-LOCOMOTIVE-McMURDO-nz-/363410699245?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Empty box for sale at a higher cost than other sellers are offering a similar box complete with a free gratis working model loco inside …

:rolleyes:

But he is going to put this empty box into a proper box for free!

Don't knock it, there's money to be made in these.  If you search for empty box in models trains, completed items, UK only, it comes up with nearly 100 that people have paid over £25 for.

This particular one is for 2-rail operation.  Did Hornby also do an empty box for 3-rail operation?

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

This particular one is for 2-rail operation.  Did Hornby also do an empty box for 3-rail operation?

You would often get a locomotive in a Hornby Dublo loco box, but they DID have three-rail (Blue) and two-rail (Red) boxes!

47 minutes ago, The 158 Man said:

By Jove!

How tickled I am!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IIRC Hornby Dublo 3 rail stuff came in red boxes with white stripes, and 2 rail in blue boxes with white stripes, or was it the other way around, a very simple and effective method of distinguishing them.  I think all rolling stock had plastic wheels and could therefore be used on 2 or 3 rail layouts after the 2 rail introduction (1958?), but of course it would have taken some time for the 3 rail stock 'in the system' at warehouse and in shops to be sold through.

The 2h box trade is not to my taste, as it is redolent of sellers maximising the sale price for models which they did not acquire in the box they sell it in.  Nothing illegal in this of course, but it is mendacious to my mind, as the impression created is that the model has been so well looked after that it is still in a box which is in good condition.  I believe newly printed boxes can be obtained.

Slightly OT, but I am often mildly amused by pre-owned Hatton's listings, which seem to focus on their obsession with the condition of the box as a selling point, something which I find about as relevant to the model as championship level tiddlywinks.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

IIRC Hornby Dublo 3 rail stuff came in red boxes with white stripes, and 2 rail in blue boxes with white stripes, or was it the other way around

Blue with white stripes was 3-rail, I missed off the stripes as the decoration was common to both!

Flogging empty boxes is for those who want to be able to say "In original box", thus hiding the fact that they're selling you a marriage of dodgy parts. Repro Hornby Dublo boxes can be used in the same way, though if you have a cherished loco without a box, they're nice to keep them in.

25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I am often mildly amused by pre-owned Hatton's listings, which seem to focus on their obsession with the condition of the box as a selling point

As you noted, they use it to imply that the model has been looked after and I get the impression that they charge a bit more for models with good boxes...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Blue with white stripes was 3-rail, I missed off the stripes as the decoration was common to both!

Flogging empty boxes is for those who want to be able to say "In original box", thus hiding the fact that they're selling you a marriage of dodgy parts. Repro Hornby Dublo boxes can be used in the same way, though if you have a cherished loco without a box, they're nice to keep them in.

As you noted, they use it to imply that the model has been looked after and I get the impression that they charge a bit more for models with good boxes...

"The box is in excellent condition, as the locomotive wasn't in it when dropped out of a fourth floor building".

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I've seen them charge more for a non-runner with a missing buffer in a good box than a working complete same model with 'poor box'.  I'm not in the trade, and they are, so I guess they know what stuff will sell for, and are at least honest with their descriptions, but it all seems a bit daft to me...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Slightly OT, but I am often mildly amused by pre-owned Hatton's listings, which seem to focus on their obsession with the condition of the box as a selling point, something which I find about as relevant to the model as championship level tiddlywinks.

:offtopic:

I believe there was a proposal recently to have tiddlywinks included in the Olympics.  Maybe next time?

Of course there's always the World Gurning Championship which but for Covid would have been held this weekend https://egremontcrabfair.com/

• Funny 3

22 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

One of 3 Bachmann Ken Dodds for sale on Tatbay at the moment.  

DCC Doddy

Disappointed there's no sound option.

Claims he's: "In very good/excellent, boxed condition"!

"Honolulu, it's got everything. Sand for the children, sun for the wife, sharks for the wife's mother." Ken Dodd.

• Funny 5

On 19/09/2021 at 23:50, Paul H Vigor said:

Claims he's: "In very good/excellent, boxed condition"!

"Honolulu, it's got everything. Sand for the children, sun for the wife, sharks for the wife's mother." Ken Dodd.

Of course, saying that Doddy is in "very good/excellent boxed condition" is a tad on the tasteless side...

• Funny 10

On 19/09/2021 at 15:52, Hroth said:

Late 3-rail tin and Diecast wagons fitted with plastic wheels came in the standard blue and white boxes, but with a small red label, with white lettering to say Suitable for 3 or 2 rail running.

The first issues of the SD6 plastic bodied wagons, all were released with plastic wheels, came in blue and white striped boxes. There is a large panel on one side that explains about the plastic wheels.

The red and white striped boxes came in with the official release of 2 Rail.

After this, the SD6 wagons were released in red and white striped boxes.

Later, all coaches and wagons fitted with plastic wheels came in red and white striped boxes.

In the end, it was really only the track, locomotives, and the tpo set that were either 2 or 3 rail, not both.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Wasn't he cremated?

Not according to Wikipedia

After the service, Dodd was laid to rest, alongside his mother and father, in a private burial service at Allerton Cemetery in Liverpool.

After three years, I would think the condition of the box would be less than "very good"....

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1