EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sweep said:

The contrast between this and his other items is good, most of his stuff seems to sell for 3 or 4 pounds and then the next batch of items £726K He'll be a multi millionare by weekend.

You never know your luck, it only takes one drunk/stoned multi-millionaire to "Buy it now" and he's sorted for life!

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

57 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

This may set a new eBay record, I have seen many items offered at five times their real value, but never an item at five orders of magnitude more than its real value.

Maybe one of the aforementioned "business people" will make them a slightly lower offer of £7.26, on the condition they give it as a donation to the institution they've clearly escaped from with the coloured paper and scissors.

"... sticky backed plastic. Get an adult to help you cut it. And here's one I made earlier!" :jester:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

Just for fun I got in touch with the seller. Apparently the owner (who is called Alvin) “is in latter stages of approaching some business people to take them all to achieve their maximum finnancial (sic) return.” I was also told “if you would like to make an offer he will consider it and that you must clearly demonstrate you currently have the funds.” Presumably that is to make sure I’m not just someone taking the ****, like they are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Apparently the owner (who is called Alvin) “is in latter stages of approaching some business people to take them all to achieve their maximum finnancial (sic) return.”

I'm surprised that they let you contact him in the secure unit.

CJI.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8

On 17/06/2021 at 12:19, 47137 said:

You have my full sympathy.

So far, I have had only one problem seller, the guy did something rather clever with PayPal and ended up taking my money into a substitute account, demonstrated "I hadn't paid", and never sent the goods. Ebay customer service were sympathetic but unhelpful. No real "problem buyers" except for the odd ones who give the damn thing a name or other some other anthropomorphic qualities and want to discuss it well into their period of ownership :-)

- Richard.

I'm digging up a very old post here but surely Paypal has records of every payment you make and your payment to the seller would be on there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

Just for fun I got in touch with the seller. Apparently the owner (who is called Alvin) “is in latter stages of approaching some business people to take them all to achieve their maximum finnancial (sic) return.” I was also told “if you would like to make an offer he will consider it and that you must clearly demonstrate you currently have the funds.” Presumably that is to make sure I’m not just someone taking the ****, like they are.

Reading this (and the previous strange message from "Jacqui") I'd conclude that these items (copyrights) have been offered for sale by someone either related to or aquainted with the Nigerian gentleman wishing to transfer $Ms out of his home country and just needing a willing recipient's bank details to do so ...

It stinks of "scam" rather than "deluded seller"

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

9 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

So, isn't this false selling? We all know that these are not kit built, so Gostude is clearly telling some porkies in his item description/heading.

So why don't we all report him to eBay for doing such, each and every time he does it? Surely eBay would, at some point, have to call him out on it? Shut him down? Something?

Perhaps, eventually, all his ridiculously overpriced and misdescribed items could be removed?

Mind you, this thread would be a lot quieter without Gostude to poke fun at...!

Steve S

• Agree 3

On 24/06/2021 at 20:27, John M Upton said:

You see, to me that is obsolete inaccurate rubbish and would at best value it at a tenner for parts.  I will never understand collectors.

The flip side of that is collectors will never understand us geezers who actually play with toy trains - I mean... taking them out of their boxes and everything! As for weathering them - Aaah! Spawn of Satan!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

37 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Reading this (and the previous strange message from "Jacqui") I'd conclude that these items (copyrights) have been offered for sale by someone either related to or aquainted with the Nigerian gentleman wishing to transfer $Ms out of his home country and just needing a willing recipient's bank details to do so ...

It stinks of "scam" rather than "deluded seller"

Steve S

I was once contacted, by email, by a 'Lawyer' from Lagos, informing me of the most unfortunate demise of my long-lost uncle, Banana Vigor. Said 'Lawyer' was very keen that I send him my bank details so he could transfer Uncle Banana's fortune to my account. Needless to say, I did not. And I remain as poor as a church mouse to this day! :whistle: 

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I'm digging up a very old post here but surely Paypal has records of every payment you make and your payment to the seller would be on there.

Memory is a bit vague but in essence it worked something like this:

I tried to pay for an item on eBay. (Don't remember if it was BIN or an auction).

I asked the seller how to pay because they didn't have PayPal linked to the sale.

They asked me to send the money to their wife's PayPal account, but I didn't see the scam.

The item never arrived.

I phoned eBay and explained what had happened.

Charming and understanding woman on the phone.

The seller went through a loophole in their system: he had taken money out of me, but according to their records I hadn't paid.

This was in the days when a seller could ask for payment in a variety of ways and PayPal wasn't universal as it is nowadays.

Nothing to do with them - a PayPal matter.

I did try to get in touch with PayPal. Every avenue I took with them online (they aren't a "human" company, no telephone support) sent me back to eBay - this was an eBay matter.

All they could "see" was I had paid someone with the correct name at the correct address.

I was pi**ing into the wind, I lost about £20, not the end of the World.

I never found the seller again on eBay.

He was selling well-worn pre-47 silver coinage (scruffy investment bullion if you like), not model railway things. This would date the purchase to the period before the Brexit vote - I was prepping for currency collapse ...

- Richard.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

‘If you are a modeller you will know how many hours this has taken to build from scratch’.  Well, yes, I’ve got a fair idea, and it doesn’t feature ‘hours’, as in the plural of ‘hour’, meaning a singular hour, one hour.  Or possibly less in this case. 

Seriously, two people, one putting the track down and the other opening the boxes, could easily do this in less than an hour.  It’s all RTP/RTR with no scenery, where’s the scratch?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Someone has glued the flock down in the churchyard. That takes some skill. Assuming its glued down that is and not just sprinkled loose for the camera.

I'm wondering if the Scalextric track on the floor is included. Even so, still not worth that much.

There's another layout part-built for £525 linked as a similar item on the same page. Now while that's mostly baseboards it does in fact show evidence of proper modelling with a fairly prototypical terminus station and some decently built baseboards under it.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2021 at 11:21, balders said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Bachmann-46026-branchline-31075-class-46-Locomotive-in-BR-Blue-livery-/294266620458?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I thought about sending him a message asking if he had been drinking........then I looked at the rest of the listings and realised he's clearly been drinking non-stop for months...

The seller is "whenitsgone" as in "when its gone we'll be fookin amazed*

• Like 4