EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Would it be overly pedantic to point out that neither of those aircraft break down that way for transportation?

Well, they have already used a shrink ray on the Lancaster to make it fit on the bolster - either that or the Tempest is really really big.

Being so yellow, all it’s missing are the Network Rail stickers.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Would it be overly pedantic to point out that neither of those aircraft break down that way for transportation?

Probably, yes. I do feel that's a small matter when the loco tender is missing and there's a bright yellow oil tank wagon there instead. At this point the disassembly of WWI aeroplanes of different scales for the purposes of transportation being incorrect I feel is a minor issue. Oh and holding them down with Humber staff car sized blobs of white-tac is a thing we ought to consider in the list of WTFs here.

Airframe disassembly accuracy is a caveat to Rule 1 pushed far, far down the list of other Rule 1 invocations here I feel.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John Besley said:

I think the persons here present would agree with me that that is an amazing price.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Probably, yes. I do feel that's a small matter when the loco tender is missing and there's a bright yellow oil tank wagon there instead. At this point the disassembly of WWI aeroplanes for the purposes of transportation being incorrect I feel is a minor issue. Its a caveat to Rule 1 pushed down the list of other Rule 1 invocations here I feel.

The locomotive “tender” is in fact a Tri-ang Bulk Cement Tanker. These were grey originally, but yellow ones were made later. :) ;)

The Dublo bolster wagons have had a variety of different bogies fitted, possibly to change from 3-rail to 2-rail compatible wheels.

The Lancaster body is on what looks like a USA type flat wagon, with the remains of the hand brake wheel axle at the nearest end.

Probably not Tri-ang, and definitely not Dublo, some other maker there…

There is no brake van either!:o

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Probably, yes. I do feel that's a small matter when the loco tender is missing and there's a bright yellow oil tank wagon there instead. At this point the disassembly of WWI aeroplanes of different scales for the purposes of transportation being incorrect I feel is a minor issue. Oh and holding them down with Humber staff car sized blobs of white-tac is a thing we ought to consider in the list of WTFs here.

Airframe disassembly accuracy is a caveat to Rule 1 pushed far, far down the list of other Rule 1 invocations here I feel.

I was taking the ####.

Which is why I asked if my question was overly pedantic.:D

It was the tip of the lack of authenticity iceberg.....

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was taking the ####.

Which is why I asked if my question was overly pedantic.:D

It was the tip of the lack of authenticity iceberg.....

Absolutely. I knew you were p**s taking. I had hoped my long-winded response was seen in the same vein of sarcasm.

It is indeed a long yellow train of compete cr*p and why anyone would think another person would want to pay money for it is beyond me.

Perhaps that is the joke? The seller knows it's a crock and is just seeing if any mug will actually buy it. Perhaps some of what we see as "eBay madness" is all just some twisted social experiment by Oxbridge Dons?

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1

I did find it amusing.

I'm only surprised that the builder of this monstrosity didn't manage to squeeze in a few bits of Lego to tick all of the boxes.

Perhaps it IS an experiment to see what cr#p people will actually pay money for, or perhaps from a psychological viewpoint, get into a bidding war for out of all proportion to the object's perceived value?

It's a tricky one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I did find it amusing.

I'm only surprised that the builder of this monstrosity didn't manage to squeeze in a few bits of Lego to tick all of the boxes.

Perhaps it IS an experiment to see what cr#p people will actually pay money for, or perhaps from a psychological viewpoint, get into a bidding war for out of all proportion to the object's perceived value?

It's a tricky one!

Now then, I said it was weird but not that it was worthless.  Consider carefully what's in this lot:

• A DJH WD 2-8-0 loco minus tender.  A session with the paintstripper and then some hand-painting, plus seek out a motor/gearbox and a Bachmann tender on eBay or swapmeets;
  • Possibly a Hornby LNER A3/A4 tender, I think, which could be sold on easily;
  • Three HO bogie bolsters that could also be handy for painting practice and to add to the German freight train rake;
  • The rest, add it to my next eBay job lot of odds-and-ends.

I'm not going to bid - got far too much in the Round Tuit pile already - but for anyone prepared to put a few hours in, there's a potential bargain loco here.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Now then, I said it was weird but not that it was worthless.  Consider carefully what's in this lot:

• A DJH WD 2-8-0 loco minus tender.  A session with the paintstripper and then some hand-painting, plus seek out a motor/gearbox and a Bachmann tender on eBay or swapmeets;
  • Possibly a Hornby LNER A3/A4 tender, I think, which could be sold on easily;
  • Three HO bogie bolsters that could also be handy for painting practice and to add to the German freight train rake;
  • The rest, add it to my next eBay job lot of odds-and-ends.

I'm not going to bid - got far too much in the Round Tuit pile already - but for anyone prepared to put a few hours in, there's a potential bargain loco here.

Yes, the loco itself is described as a kit. Possibly the best part of this lot…

I have looked again, and that Tri-ang cement tanker body does indeed seem to be fitted on to an LNER 8-wheel tender drive chassis…

The three bogie bolster wagons are the Diecast Hornby Dublo BR OO gauge models. They have been fitted with different bogies, and some of the bogies at least have the “Continental “ type loop coupling. Probably fitted to replace the original 3-rail metal wheeled bogies…

The American style flat car has been fitted with Tri-ang or Hornby BR coach bogies, complete with Mk3 tension lock couplings.

:)

Ohh, and the aircraft are WW2, or WWII, not WW1 or WWI…

I suspect an undetected typo! ;) :D

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo notification…
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/10/2021 at 21:30, Crantock said:

Isn't that from that Mars layout from the model railway challenge TV show thing? Forgot what it was called. Pretty sure I saw it on that layout when I went to rocket railway's 'exhibition' I went to the shop and picked up two old Hornby wagons and the cashier looked up the wagons on eBay and chose a random price... 23 quid for a TTA and old mineral wagon.. only bought them because I was too embarrassed to put them back after having to refuse a limby 73 and various other items. It was only when we were about to leave that we were told that there was an upstairs, and there was a second hand stand with wagons a fiver each! Kicked myself in the foot and promptly cleared out the wagon selection

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Demios and Phobos, Terror and Fear, are the companions of Mars, the Roman god of war, and the moons of Mars the planet are named after them, so as names of locos for a Mars layout they are completely appropriate.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Ohh, and the aircraft are WW2, or WWII, not WW1 or WWI…

I think you mean Second World War; WW2 is an Americanism, and in my house you don't get to name a war unless you've turned up on time for it, not 3 years late as the Americans did for this particular war.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Demios and Phobos, Terror and Fear, are the companions of Mars, the Roman god of war, and the moons of Mars the planet are named after them, so as names of locos for a Mars layout they are completely appropriate.

Other companions of Mars: Milky Way, Bounty, Twix and Kit Kat! :dirol_mini:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Other companions of Mars: Milky Way, Bounty, Twix and Kit Kat! :dirol_mini:

To retain the space theme it should be Milky Way, Galaxy and those funky sherbet filled flying saucers. Oh, and Space Dust. Weird stuff. Never liked it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Isn't that from that Mars layout from the model railway challenge TV show thing? Forgot what it was called. Pretty sure I saw it on that layout when I went to rocket railway's 'exhibition' I went to the shop and picked up two old Hornby wagons and the cashier looked up the wagons on eBay and chose a random price... 23 quid for a TTA and old mineral wagon.. only bought them because I was too embarrassed to put them back after having to refuse a limby 73 and various other items. It was only when we were about to leave that we were told that there was an upstairs, and there was a second hand stand with wagons a fiver each! Kicked myself in the foot and promptly cleared out the wagon selection

Also see here? And the next couple of posts….;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Heljan inspired?

Of course, all modern diesel models have daylight where there should be a cab floor.

"Relined by expert hands" 

Cabside numbers created on Raymond Chandler's old typewriter...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Of course, all modern diesel models have daylight where there should be a cab floor.

"Relined by expert hands" 

Cabside numbers created on Raymond Chandler's old typewriter...

Diesel model? am i missing something lol?

NL

• Like 2

Lets dissect this description:

"A excellent Heljan inspired [a]Hornby triang class 86/0 bR blue pantograph locomotive numbered e3146 relined by expert hands [b ]and in excellent condition with retractable pantograph[c] comes complete with correct r753 interior casing [d] with only a tiny crack blemish [e] these are hugely collectable items that only go up in value [f]a great Investment or layout addition [g]"

[a] How can it be "inspired if it pre-dates Heljan by probably about 3 decades (correct me if im wrong)?! 

[b ]Only lines I see are the brush strokes that were used by the pound shop paint brush used, and I see no Evidence of this "lining" he / she is on about ?

[c] Ill be surprised if it works

[d] Well at least he knows what the R number for the interiror is, although isnt that the model number????

[e] "by "blemish" I mean where I knocked it the other day after watching Gogglebox, sipping several pints of Whisky" 

[f] Youve seriously delaued it now with that bodge job!!!

[g] :laugh:

NL

Edited by NickL2008
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

36 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

Diesel model? am i missing something lol?

NL

Admittedly I wasn't paying attention, it's a square blue thing, plus I was too busy laughing at the description.

I have the same problem with cars made after 1980.

Is it a Hyundai or a Peugeot? 

I'd have to be sufficiently interested to bother reading the badge.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

From the same seller, apparently some aftermarket cellophane wrapping the box bungs up the price of this bog standard a fiver anywhere else Hornby Mk2 brake coach:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284484943477?hash=item423c9fbe75:g:vHEAAOSwnbxhZFuh

And what the hell is a cab finial?  He has them on several loco listings:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284483256921?hash=item423c860259:g:YUoAAOSw2HBhYqys

Nice bog brush gloss work on the roof by the way!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3