EBay madness

Marcyg

59 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Someone bought it.   Best offer was accepted.  We will never know how much.

This https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284472483215?hash=item423be19d8f%3Ag%3A5ngAAOSwasRhVy3q&LH_BIN=1   looks like a bog standard Triang horse box in Wrenn packaging and over priced.

Maybe removed by eBay after reported for Gouging. I think it usually says sold when someone buys it.

Screenshot_20211017-112555_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Informative/Useful 2

There's a healthy market for unbuilt vintage model kits. Particularly if they are first editions with the earliest style of packaging. 

I picked up a kit from the late 70s early 80s on the car boot recently for £5, I could stick it on eBay for £30, or I could spend some pleasant hours building it and making a better job than the one I had when I was eleven.

Each to their own, but I have never really understood collecting things like that for what seems to be the "joy of possession", (in the case of vehicles I find it totally perplexing.) It's akin to marrying a beautiful Hollywood actress and then sleeping on the couch every night. :wacko:

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There's a healthy market for unbuilt vintage model kits. Particularly if they are first editions with the earliest style of packaging. 

I picked up a kit from the late 70s early 80s on the car boot recently for £5, I could stick it on eBay for £30, or I could spend some pleasant hours building it and making a better job than the one I had when I was eleven.

Each to their own, but I have never really understood collecting things like that for what seems to be the "joy of possession", (in the case of vehicles I find it totally perplexing.) It's akin to marrying a beautiful Hollywood actress and then sleeping on the couch every night. :wacko:

If I had my Morris Minor (actually it was an Austin) van again  I'd use at weekends...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

If I had my Morris Minor (actually it was an Austin) van again  I'd use at weekends...

We still use a Triumph Herald 1200 for shopping and getting to the station. We mostly use motorcycles (which are even older) for general travel.  It's what we like doing plus not buying and running a modern car saves a lot of cash that can be spent on other things. 

Nothing from this thread though!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

I'm going to offer a third option, learned a new word recently.

Gouging. 

Seems to be where someone tries to resell something on ebay at an excessive price.  A bit like the £39.99 Aldi Kayaks this summer I saw at between £80 and £200 on eBay and Facebook.

Defined by eBay as "Increasing the price of items to a level that is much higher than is considered fair or reasonable"

Best of all eBay has a policy on Gouging, it is not allowed and people can report it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/reporting-price-gouging-ebay?id=5105

They are taking offers, you could always have fun with that option.

Erm, if you read the policy it is aimed at exploiting markets in essential goods during Covid - you need to decode the euphemism 'taking advantage of buyers in this time of uncertainty' (= charging £10 each for disposable face masks, £50 for a litre of petrol etc). I somehow doubt anyone at ebay will give a second glance to model railways which for most folk unaccountably do not appear to be considered essential supplies. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Flashback to Spike in Notting Hill!

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Erm, if you read the policy it is aimed at exploiting markets in essential goods during Covid - you need to decode the euphemism 'taking advantage of buyers in this time of uncertainty' (= charging £10 each for disposable face masks, £50 for a litre of petrol etc). I somehow doubt anyone at ebay will give a second glance to model railways which for most folk unaccountably do not appear to be considered essential supplies. 

You may be right, there were three drop down options, the first two the only options relevant were Gouging, the third there were about 5 options, medical supplies, household a couple of others and the option I opted for "Other"  I did find the list in the last drop down odd in terms of options.  I had expected to be asked for some explanation or justification for reporting.

That said the item was removed in under an hour of me reporting it.

It may be the seller gets an automatic notification that the item has been reported.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

He's even trying to sell 2 Metcalfe kits that came free with MR magazine!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334182642265?

I bought the issue of Railway Modeller that had the waiting room kit specifically for the kit! Like all Metcalfe kits, it went together very nicely. I've not found a use for it though - it has a bit of a whiff of Great Western about it. Perhaps I should just put it on Ebay?

• Funny 2

25 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

Found this a tribute to the less than competent even the coupling rods are upside down. The chimney is the dome?

The whole thing could be used as a solder rod??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334184802461?hash=item4dcef7689d:g:4xcAAOSwcKlhbA3t

Seller says bits could be unsoldered !!!!

The seller seems to be the policeman from Allo Allo - "i have pisted this Loco as spares or repair it will be sold as seen . "

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

:lol:

53 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

"i have pisted this Loco as spares or repair"   Pissed when he listed or pissed on the item?:D

Edited by cessna152towser
Added smiley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CHAZ D said:

Found this a tribute to the less than competent even the coupling rods are upside down. The chimney is the dome?

Looks like someones attempt at steamed punk....

If you dropped everything into a pan of boiling water the whitemetal solder will give hopefully 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Besley said:

On a different note I am on the hunt for a K's 0-6-0 chassis for 7/8ths loco project got any suggestions anyone please

I think I have some screw together K's brass frames somewhere - PM me?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CHAZ D said:

I suspect Victor Frankenstein had a hand in this one! :scared:

• Agree 4