EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RFS said:

Well someone must have told them since the description now reads thus and the price has been slightly reduced!

"The MODEL is in SPARES & REPAIR condition - Appears slightly bent. Suffering from extreme mazak rot in the chassis."

Just out of interest what is the reason for the rot and are there replacement chassis available 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The Waiting Room is based on one at Arley on the Severn Valley Railway, if it’s the kit I’m thinking off…

Having Googled, so it is - not far off. I hadn't been aware of that though it confirms my GWR hunch.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

4-TC if the number is to be believed.

You’re right, which makes the fact it’s unpowered plausible. Perhaps that’s why it went for stupid money because it was absolutely perfect for the needs of two people’s layouts with an idle class 33!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Just out of interest what is the reason for the rot and are there replacement chassis available 

I think the issue here is that the loco body is metal and has been affected by the Mazak rot, hence why it's so bent. Chassis might not be affected. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One of the mags gave away the Ratio goods yard office kit, I've seen that and the grounded van kits, still in their giveaway packaging up for sale on eBay. My kit got seriously hacked about instead.

Some very good hacking about there! :) I like that.

It was Railway Modeller, not surprisingly seeing that both Ratio and RM are parts of the PECO group. ;)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Lot 1 does contain a Tri-ang Hornby labelled  “white emergency box” issued during the period when Lines Bros were in trouble…

And a blue painted Tri-ang Railways Restaurant Car…:mellow:

Lot 2 has a Bogie Bolster that looks like it’s been trodden on. And a Hornby Dublo metal version, that would certainly hurt if trodden on! :o

The restaurant car has been renumbered.

The Blue Circle cement wagon is the earlier grey version…

Lot 3 has a repainted BR (SR) L1 4-4-0, pretending to be a  LMS 2P. (Hornby Railways retooled the cab when they made their 2P conversion…)

A matching blue painted coach.:mellow:

The drop side wagon is a less common version, but is ruined for collectors by being fitted with non original couplings! ;) And is in an early pre 1954 printed  “Richmond” box for the R.11 Goods Van…

The Murgatroyd’s Chlorine tanker is nice…

But nothing earth shattering in those lots…except the pricing! :scratchhead:

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, RFS said:

Well someone must have told them since the description now reads thus and the price has been slightly reduced!

"The MODEL is in SPARES & REPAIR condition - Appears slightly bent. Suffering from extreme mazak rot in the chassis."

"Suffering from extreme mazak rot in the chassis" - and yet is believed to be a good runner??

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, RFS said:

Russell Martin's business is registered in Waterlooville in Hampshire - so why is most of the site written in French?

IMG_2177.JPG.2e9a79e6f3ae0ad6de48ba90fe5e85fd.JPG

"I tell you, this is all kushty, avec monte blanc!

Only a few left in this condition - remember, he who dares wins!"

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Russell Martin's business is registered in Waterlooville in Hampshire - so why is most of the site written in French?

IMG_2177.JPG.2e9a79e6f3ae0ad6de48ba90fe5e85fd.JPG

"I tell you, this is all kushty, avec monte blanc!

Only a few left in this condition - remember, he who dares wins!"

Bonnet de douche, Rodney. Bonnet de douche.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 7

With that level of fire damage I doubt that anything will be salvageable, the nature of the steel will have been changed by the extreme heat and components will be distorted and severely weakened. I've seen leaf springs bent the opposite way and chassis structures twisted in fires. Any non ferrous parts of the engine and transmission will have melted and everything else seized. 

It's basically £25 worth of scrap (if you haul it to the yard yourself) and a log book that's handy to dodge duties on a rust free import or more likely, create a ringer.

The VIN tags will have melted, but it's a Mini, NOS and repro tags are available, you can even get them pre stamped - if you have a log book.;)

• Like 2