EBay madness

Marcyg

I don’t know if it’s already been mentioned but every noon for a week now there’s a 37-371 Bachmann Presflo for sale…. Except it’s not, it’s an Airfix body on a Triang chassis.

I’ve told the vendor but he’s still listing it…

Edited by Chuffed 1
  • Funny 6

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I bought the issue of Railway Modeller that had the waiting room kit specifically for the kit! Like all Metcalfe kits, it went together very nicely. I've not found a use for it though - it has a bit of a whiff of Great Western about it. Perhaps I should just put it on Ebay?

The Waiting Room is based on one at Arley on the Severn Valley Railway, if it’s the kit I’m thinking off…

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Found in a search for MTK.

It’s a fair bodge of a 4-BIG using Dublo shortie coaches.  A bit wonky in places and some bits have dropped off in the cab areas.

Started at 99p but is now over £180!!!

Fair dos to the seller but the bidders are mad IMHO.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One of the mags gave away the Ratio goods yard office kit, I've seen that and the grounded van kits, still in their giveaway packaging up for sale on eBay.

I was astounded nay flabbergasted to see a set of Blue Pullman drawings on sale recently for a mere £9.99 - 2mm, 4mm, 7mm scales. Thing is, they were free in a magazine special about the Blue Pullmans! Cheek!!!

Steve S

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, RFS said:

Bachmann N Class - "The MODEL is in GOOD condition - appears slightly bent. "

Certainly does - looks like a terminal case of Mazak rot.

Or this, an early Railroad 9f.

Someone is having a laugh !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/667-Hornby-R2248-Class-9F-2-10-0-92239-BR-black-Weathered-Mint-Unopened-/353458542661?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Interesting reading the description, there seems to be some confusion, has the box really never been opened?  There are some contradictions there.  However, despite the interesting back story, the listing and all the others from the same seller smell of a dealer to me rather than a seller proper per se.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Interesting reading the description, there seems to be some confusion, has the box really never been opened?  There are some contradictions there.  However, despite the interesting back story, the listing and all the others from the same seller smell of a dealer to me rather than a seller proper per se.

You only have to look at the pricing of some of his other items to see this is the case.

For instance, an LMS Railroad Compound for £187 odd !

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224652506171?hash=item344e55343b%3Ag%3ATD0AAOSwvCNhbch0&LH_BIN=1

Lot No1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224652482218?hash=item344e54d6aa%3Ag%3A2u4AAOSwUKJhbcUW&LH_BIN=1

Lot No.2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224652466774?hash=item344e549a56%3Ag%3AHhAAAOSw9E9hbcPf&LH_BIN=1

Lot No.3

Am  I missing something about these three lots?

Regards, Rich

PS yes I  did spot the special  Banana wagon conversion in lot 2

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RFS said:

Bachmann N Class - "The MODEL is in GOOD condition - appears slightly bent. "

Certainly does - looks like a terminal case of Mazak rot.

Well someone must have told them since the description now reads thus and the price has been slightly reduced!

"The MODEL is in SPARES & REPAIR condition - Appears slightly bent. Suffering from extreme mazak rot in the chassis."

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

And I am willing to bet that the 'dealer' paid the deceased's estate nothing even remotely close to what he is now charging!

"John’s family felt it would be fitting that his entire life’s collection should be auctioned and open to other enthusiasts and collectors",

which is a polite way of saying,

"John's family couldn't wait to flog his collection and are planning a Caribbean cruise with the proceeds".

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

28 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

"John’s family felt it would be fitting that his entire life’s collection should be auctioned and open to other enthusiasts and collectors",

which is a polite way of saying,

"John's family couldn't wait to flog his collection and are planning a Caribbean cruise with the proceeds".

"John's family couldn't wait to flog his collection and are planning a Caribbean cruise trip to the Isle of Wight with the proceeds".

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Quite.

But to be a dealer while deliberately creating an impression that you were some sort of close mate of John's because you are repeating what the family told you of his life stroy, and are now grief-stricken at his loss and respecting his family's wishes as an act of kindness and respect in order to dispose of his 'collection', while not actually stating this of course, and to then suggest that the model is in an unopened box and has never been used, and to then use a stock photo as an illustration, none of which is illegal but is deliberately and intentionally misleading, is at least mendacious, and would put me off buying anything from this guy, notwithstanding his 100% feedback rating.  He's 'at it', isn't he.  He's paid whatever he's paid, and applied a set markup, resulting in secondhand Hornby 0-4-0s for £10 more than H are knocking them out brand new, under warranty, and with free postage.

Caveat Emptor.

• Agree 9