EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Some key parts definitely missing, others might be missing, half a set of wheels, needs gears, motors and who knows what else, chucked in a heap on the ground, bags filled with parts that can't be seen (and subsequently checked off.) Part built, how well I wonder?

£440? 

Looks like £4 worth of scrap brass to me. 

You might take a risk at £50 in the hope that you could find, substitute or make the missing parts.

If he really wants to sell it for what it's worth, try putting it in auction.

This thread certainly has gotten me thinking

I too have a few boxes of useless crape I could sell on eBay at extortionate prices :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

16 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I did like this part of his description ... " I cannot guarantee other parts are missing".

So some of them might be there.  How many more bits did he lose when he tried picking it up from the garden?

Possibly you might gain an extra handful of stones, nails and bits of glass?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

This thread certainly has gotten me thinking

I too have a few boxes of useless crape I could sell on eBay at extortionate prices :lol:

Me too, I'm going to have a sweep under the workshop bench in the morning. 

Bag of dust, gravel and rust - may contain some rare springs nuts and washers from vintage motorcycles...

BIN £200.00

• Funny 9

From the same seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diecast-Red-0-6-0-JINTY-CLASS-3F-00-OO-Gauge-Scale-For-Hornby-Train-Set-Railway-/115057538159?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

For Hornby train set? 

For testing the house fuses more likely.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Mind you if he uses round wire nails as fence posts there's no knowing what other 'interesting horrors' are available 

That Jinty reminds me of visits to my Grandparents in the 60's 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nails as fence posts aside, there is a pretty half decent looking layout in the background of those photos which combined with the low prices suggests this seller has bought a big job lot somewhere for something specific and is now disposing of the remnants.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Nails as fence posts aside, there is a pretty half decent looking layout in the background of those photos which combined with the low prices suggests this seller has bought a big job lot somewhere for something specific and is now disposing of the remnants.

True...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

And just to prove that not everything on Ebay is tat...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-Adams-B4-Industrial-Sussex-Detailed-Weathered-DC-Only-OO-Gauge-/224634411396?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by John Besley
Very nice looking layout in the background
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy WD said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115059117349?hash=item1aca0ecd25:g:qokAAOSwlophVba8

A use for your old Triang and leftover Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol parts...... :D

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

I was going to post that as well. Looking at some of his none railway items you'd think he would have washed and ironed these before putting them up for sale. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115061451828?hash=item1aca326c34:g:qVQAAOSwWw1hdSKd

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Me too, I'm going to have a sweep under the workshop bench in the morning. 

Bag of dust, gravel and rust - may contain some rare springs nuts and washers from vintage motorcycles...

BIN £200.00

I might do that too, if I can get enough sawdust together I could put it on eBay as

‘chippendale chair requires some assembly’  

• Funny 12

Dear all

I wasn’t going to resort to defending myself but in answer to recent posts.

Thank you. The layout is my own work. It was a lockdown project that doubles as therapy for a traumatic personal event. NW England c1990 as I remember from my childhood if anyone is interested, including the road vehicles and shops etc  Named after my daughter. 

Money is tight. I buy job lots to either cherry pick the bits I want or to fund the layout directly as it’s the only available means that I can do so. As a result all sorts of odd bits surface in my listings. 

I am not a chancer. All my start prices are very low indeed as I’d rather that bogie sold for a couple of pounds and made someone happy than went to landfill. 

I could have ironed those shirts but hey Ho. 

Thank you for the free publicity. I have sold a few BINs off the strength of this thread literally now. 

PS see my newest listing to show I’m not devoid of gentle self deprecation.

stay safe 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

22 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Dear all

I wasn’t going to resort to defending myself but in answer to recent posts.

Thank you. The layout is my own work.

Hence my jester emoji, I suspected you and the ebay seller were one and the same person having seen your layout elsewhere on RMweb.

Well done!

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Certainly got a long chimney and out of gauge tender

Yes, but look at the boiler mounting positions, the cab faceplate and low running plate. Could have used the same mould as the Rivarossi Bourbonais 0.6.0. A bit of chopping and filing, stick it on a cheap Bachmann Thomas chassis with a bashed Triang  B12 tender.................:locomotive:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hence my jester emoji, I suspected you and the ebay seller were one and the same person having seen your layout elsewhere on RMweb.

Well done!

Here’s the actual layout. Close ups of any interesting bits just request.

Also a taster of the gems in the listing queue for you to pontificate over in due course lol. Just be sure to link them. Maybe this was all a ploy to find the oddest things I can and make this thread!!

Stay safe guys 

C2367246-12AD-452D-B7C3-CA2A32B129E7.jpeg

8B998EA1-EAEB-4B92-AF18-FA7FDC17CBC3.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 33C said:

Yes, but look at the boiler mounting positions, the cab faceplate and low running plate. Could have used the same mould as the Rivarossi Bourbonais 0.6.0. A bit of chopping and filing, stick it on a cheap Bachmann Thomas chassis with a bashed Triang  B12 tender.................:locomotive:

I’ve got all those bits lol. If it doesn’t sell  that could be a cheap and fun winter project 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It had to happen didn't it? We ragged an eBay listing put up by a fellow RMWeb member.

The odd thing that I have found over years of doing autojumbles is that the stuff you are tempted to throw away nearly always sells. I have literally retrieved things from my scrap pile to fill up space on the stall and it always seems to sell first.

The same rule applies to having a box marked "everything in here - £1.

As I don't have money falling out of my a## either, I don't throw much out, I put it on eBay and see what it makes. 

Which is often a big surprise. I put a pile of Tri-ang plastic coach bogies on eBay, another lot of assorted 70s wagon chassis and a bag of 6 broken, incomplete coach bodies from the same era.

I also tried to sell some "good" stuff.

I was expecting to star on here in the "Why hasn't he binned this c2ap?" contest. (And perversely, secretly hoped to, just for the resulting laugh.) The surprise was that the rubbish made enough money to buy a Bachmann pannier minus its outer box and the stuff I expected to go went around three times before selling.

By the way @ianmacc you seem to be in the minority here, you appear to have a layout that is complete, up and running. As others have pointed out, nicely done too.

,  @ian

• Like 2
  • Agree 4