EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2021 at 19:05, The Johnster said:

After the previous abomination, that looks almost reasonable!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corgi-Comics-Noddys-Car-801-With-Noddy-And-Big-Ears-For-Restoration-/154656228448?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Just to be different just wondering how do you restore Noddy and Big Ears... transplants?

Edited by John Besley
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Noddy's car is missing one of his mates.

Later models had Teddy in the rumble seat.

s-l300(2).jpg.be986e7febaea119d2f0910bca8bbfda.jpg

This is the original one, poor old Gilbert has to get the bus now.

C801R1111.jpg.0e61e8750551821369a6f9162e34ee43.jpg

I would think that one is quite rare now. I had one in the early 70s when I was 2 or 3.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, tubs01 said:

If only I still had mine from when I was 7! Not sure why half the Thomas stuff goes for so much when it was mass produced for so many years

Only Thomas and Percy and things like Annie and Clarabel were mass produced. Some were produced in reasonable numbers such as James etc but the likes of diesel 261 and bear and others were only sold in limited numbers hence their ridiculous prices nowadays. 

• Informative/Useful 3

57 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Only Thomas and Percy and things like Annie and Clarabel were mass produced. Some were produced in reasonable numbers such as James etc but the likes of diesel 261 and bear and others were only sold in limited numbers hence their ridiculous prices nowadays. 

Anything other than Thomas and Percy seem to go for silly prices at present.  I could do with a "James" but I balk at whats being asked.  I might get a Triang 3F tender loco, a 9F pony truck and do a bit of stretching and a repaint.  With a suitable "face" to replace the smokebox door, it should be passable. Or at least better than those poor 0-4-0s above...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rab said:

Listed by another 'new' Rails staff member???

They’ve been doing that sort of thing for far too long now for it to be accidental.

I don’t know who is in charge down there but they can’t have much of a conscience.  Personally I’d be embarrassed if I were responsible for some of their listings.

• Agree 6

5 hours ago, rab said:

I would say that the loco is a Graham Farish Tank Loco.

They made an unpowered loco and some coaches for a Shredded Wheat marketing promotion, in 1989.

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1985-89/N_Gauge_Steam_Engine_-_Carriag/n_gauge_steam_engine_-_carriages.html

The loco is similar to those Issued in LMS, LNER, and SR liveries, hence General Purpose.

Like this one from the same seller…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224663065880?

The GWR had a Pannier Tank loco…

The “Tender Drive”, however, is actually a Sentinel Steam Locomotive on its own account.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Revised origin of loco….added links
  • Informative/Useful 4

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Noddy's car is missing one of his mates.

Later models had Teddy in the rumble seat.

s-l300(2).jpg.be986e7febaea119d2f0910bca8bbfda.jpg

This is the original one, poor old Gilbert has to get the bus now.

C801R1111.jpg.0e61e8750551821369a6f9162e34ee43.jpg

I would think that one is quite rare now. I had one in the early 70s when I was 2 or 3.

There are a number of variations, the original chap's face was lighter on later versions before being replaced by Teddy. Even 50 years ago Miss Blyton's use of that particular character was already getting beyond the bounds of acceptability, which ironically has created rare and collectable variants. depending on both the figure and how dark it is. The lower image is the very first version.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, tubs01 said:

Obviously gone for the aesthetic with this lot.....all soft focus.

Another selection from the same seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224657844851?hash=item344ea6aa73:g:jCEAAOSwqi1hcvzF

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All the scale/gauge subcategories and many of the subcategories of those all been scrapped and everything lumped into one big pot.  Only if sellers have bothered to wade through the ridiculous and often irrelevant listing specifics (most don't bother and the rest seem to have given up doing it due to the tediousness) do you have even a slim chance of narrowing your search down to a specific scale and even then only if the seller has entered the right one (again often wrong).

Result - Listings have plummeted in the last couple of weeks and sales have also plunged as people can't find anything in amongst the tens of thousands of irrelevant listings that now come up in each search.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Question: Has something changed re ebay 00 kit built model railway searching? What appeared to be one ebay location seems to have fragmented into several?

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

They have apparently done away with the scale differentiation, but still pester sellers to add more specifics to their listings.

As far as I can work out, they have also tried to standardise categories across different countries. So there are now fewer broader categories (including 'model railroads'...) and the 'item specifics' are used to select things like scale. Which is fine except when sellers put the wrong scale in, which happens more often than you might think.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm getting fed up with having to refine the item location to UK only every time I search and still getting a list of "items from international sellers" tagged on the end. I'm not going to pay £12 for a used motorcycle timing gear, then have to  shell out £28 on postage, plus the risk of paying as much again in import tax and VAT on something that was made in Birmingham and is clearly secondhand goods! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

TTTE seem to command higher prices simply because they are TTTE.  I suspect that some of this is driven by the children reading the books; 'but, daddy, I want Oliver, I must have Oliver, don't want Dart or James'.  Parents subjected to this sort of consistent demanding from kids are very vulnerable, and liable to make promises that then turn out to be a lot more expensive than they'd thought, and only available secondhand, thus driving the price up further as the iron law of the market when demand exceeds supply will inevitably mean.

Bagnalls without TTTE faces and in other liveries are available brand new for £35, and less on 2h stalls.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, John M Upton said:

All the scale/gauge subcategories and many of the subcategories of those all been scrapped and everything lumped into one big pot.  Only if sellers have bothered to wade through the ridiculous and often irrelevant listing specifics (most don't bother and the rest seem to have given up doing it due to the tediousness) do you have even a slim chance of narrowing your search down to a specific scale and even then only if the seller has entered the right one (again often wrong).

Result - Listings have plummeted in the last couple of weeks and sales have also plunged as people can't find anything in amongst the tens of thousands of irrelevant listings that now come up in each search.

If it wasn't broke, why try and 'fix' it? Someone's bright idea??

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

If it wasn't broke, why try and 'fix' it? Someone's bright idea??

It's the sort of stupid change that ebay keeping making all the time.

I'm also seeing railway books and magazine listings needing to be changed at present.  Lots of "soon required" classifications - there has to be something in the box, even if the question isn't relevant. In some cases, ebay will helpfully generate something to put in some fields leaving you to change it if their guess is wrong.  Sellers don't bother, because there's no point in getting the right data in the categories of potential buyers aren't going to search on those fields.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

TTTE seem to command higher prices simply because they are TTTE.  I suspect that some of this is driven by the children reading the books; 'but, daddy, I want Oliver, I must have Oliver, don't want Dart or James'.  Parents subjected to this sort of consistent demanding from kids are very vulnerable, and liable to make promises that then turn out to be a lot more expensive than they'd thought, and only available secondhand, thus driving the price up further as the iron law of the market when demand exceeds supply will inevitably mean.

Bagnalls without TTTE faces and in other liveries are available brand new for £35, and less on 2h stalls.

Possibly, but I don't think Murdochs at £1000 are being bought for kids!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1