EBay madness

Marcyg

3 minutes ago, Esmedune said:

Another mug who refuses to look at the buy it now options has just paid £77 for a coach that is missing a coupling hook so must be 2nd hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174997810847

When they could have bought it for a lot less, brand new!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154308110806

:scratchhead:

Different running numbers and one is weathered as well.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, john new said:

Probably because this kit was designed to fit a Jouef 2-8-2 chassis.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I can see how this is a bit of a rarity, and not a bad product for it's day, but £100?  Still, it's got a good, if not original, box, which is the most important thing so far as Hats are concerned...

May I take the opportunity of suggesting that the thead be renamed as 'eBay/Hatton's Madness'?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, andytrains said:

Gosturde again.

BRANCH LINES AIRFIX KIT BUILT BR 2-6-0 STANDARD CLASS 4 CAPROTTI LOCO 76075?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363502313918?hash=item54a26d21be:g:Vf4AAOSwTAlhE5Jt

'Finescale' as well.  His Gostudinousness could probably provide enough material for his own Madness thread as well.  This is in some ways not the worst loco I've ever seen from an Airfix kit, presumably tender driven which Mr G has been careful to hide with the photographs but the wires between the loco and the tender give the game away, and with a decent level of detail below the running plate, but the asking price is way over the top when you can get brand new Bachmanns.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I have been tracking some H0n3 rolling stock for about 4-5 years from Gostitute .Still on there, no sale, lousy pictures  etc .I assume he wants to keep all this stuff but has promised his wife he will sell it .I do this with guitars .I am really annoyed if I  sell one .

Edited by friscopete
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

'Finescale' as well.  His Gostudinousness could probably provide enough material for his own Madness thread as well.  This is in some ways not the worst loco I've ever seen from an Airfix kit, presumably tender driven which Mr G has been careful to hide with the photographs but the wires between the loco and the tender give the game away, and with a decent level of detail below the running plate, but the asking price is way over the top when you can get brand new Bachmanns.

Looks to me as tender pickups wired to motor in loco. However I wholly agree with the rest of the conclusions!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Whoever built this atrocity seems to have worked forwards from the tender and, while he was just about paying attention when he started, by the time he got to the business end he was completely away with the fairies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334210593258?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3De99f853e3956453e854e44e0650d96d4%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D334210593258%26itm%3D334210593258%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Whoever built this atrocity seems to have worked forwards from the tender and, while he was just about paying attention when he started, by the time he got to the business end he was completely away with the fairies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334210593258?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3De99f853e3956453e854e44e0650d96d4%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D334210593258%26itm%3D334210593258%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Even the tender looks like its filled with builders rubble not coal and the painted black, certainly wouldn't want to be anywhere near when one of those fell off 

• Like 3

I like the way the forward inside frames are now outside and the cylinder mounts now double as the "cylinders".....to be fair, we don't know whether the modeller started with a complete kit or had to improvise with what was rattling around in a box with no instructions. :scratchhead:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

The seller is commendably honest. "I have no clue what the builder was trying to achieve when he built this." You and me both, chief.

Whatever it was, it's a pretty safe bet that he failed to achieve it, unless of course he was Salvador Dali...

If the bidding doesn't go higher than the £20, and I cannot honestly see a reason that it should. what you're getting for your money is a reasonably accurately assembled frame with 6 driving wheels of around the 26mm mark, possibly re-useable Patriot cab sides and roof, and what I think is a motorised tender.  If you are in the market for such a combination of items, it might not be extortionate. 

I am really glad it is not a Collett 31xx in this condition; that would have upset me!  Nothing against Rebuilt Patriots, but I don't need one of those for Cwmdimbath...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Minor ebay madness, I'd come across a Hattons sale order for a Hornby R3279 "County of Hants" loco for £57 from April 2020. Being curious, I checked on ebay to see how much an example would be nowadays.  I found there are no examples of complete R3279 locos being offered, though you can get a tender

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203511929293

and a body moulding

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203511929263

for £29.99 apiece, which together is a bit more than I paid for the complete loco and box, in excellent condition.  Mine can be placed on the track and runs too!  :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

This seller has a few locos, wagons, and parts priced by volume (and apparently they're all 10ml).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/scouse889/m.html?item=165157170515&epid=11039227104&hash=item2674226d53%3Ag%3AjBcAAOSwlApgqAjw&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

When you list stuff nowadays eBay keeps pestering you to fill in more item specifics, including the unit volume, if you leave any of the fields blank.  I have found the best answer is to check the box "Don't remind me about these item specifics again".

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

When you list stuff nowadays eBay keeps pestering you to fill in more item specifics, including the unit volume, if you leave any of the fields blank.  I have found the best answer is to check the box "Don't remind me about these item specifics again".

Probably why eBay only gives multiple choices for such things so that you don't get irritated and write something daft.

Rather like forms that ask for your personal information, they ask if you're male or female and then how you identify? I usually respond that I identify as a helicopter.

The ethnicity questions get "Earthling" or "Werewolf" or "Human"

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Probably why eBay only gives multiple choices for such things so that you don't get irritated and write something daft.

Rather like forms that ask for your personal information, they ask if you're male or female and then how you identify? I usually respond that I identify as a helicopter.

The ethnicity questions get "Earthling" or "Werewolf" or "Human"

Some companies seem to ask for excessive details that they don't really need. If they ask for something like my inside leg measurement I just go to another provider.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Some companies seem to ask for excessive details that they don't really need. If they ask for something like my inside leg measurement I just go to another provider.

And there are those who insist you provide them with a mobile phone number (a landline won't apparently do) when placing an order on their web site. Whoops!  There goes my custom....

Edited by Hroth
Apparently I can't spel...
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2