EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 5944 said:

Item specifics show the item as manufactured in United Kingdom and material as Brass.

It looks suspiciously like a Bachmann suburban which was made in China.

Possibly qualifies as "kit built" and "made in UK" if it was assembled locally from bits taken from more than one Bachmann coach.

Not sure about the brass though.  Further down it is described as a rare plastic kit built model.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403394983910?hash=item5dec36f7e6:g:txYAAOSwT~NeQUvm

For a price, another one missing a cab footstep.

I think that you can still get the kit, for a lot less and maybe fit the boiler casting level?

He's had several unsuccessful attempts at flogging that old banger for £225

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Item specifics show the item as manufactured in United Kingdom and material as Brass.

It looks suspiciously like a Bachmann suburban which was made in China.

Possibly qualifies as "kit built" and "made in UK" if it was assembled locally from bits taken from more than one Bachmann coach.

Not sure about the brass though.  Further down it is described as a rare plastic kilt built model.

"Kilt built" - meaning it hails from north of the border?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, 5944 said:

It's clearly a Dapol/Bachmann RTR from the detail moulded in to the tooling, and he's listed it twice, with the more expensive listing suggesting, but stopping short of actually claiming, it to be an Exley. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It's clearly a Dapol/Bachmann RTR from the detail moulded in to the tooling, and he's listed it twice, with the more expensive listing suggesting, but stopping short of actually claiming, it to be an Exley. 

Typical antique dealer spiel, "Exley ?".

Possibly / attributed to / in the style of. List all possibilities to draw in potential buyers but make them suitably vague so that you have wriggle room / plausible deniability if / when the rare item turns out to be a piece of junk made in the far east twenty years ago.

Which it is.

I also noticed that it apparently has Peco couplings... What I saw was something that looks like Airfix with the hook missing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

And lo it came to pass that two examples of the following have been listed on eBay -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/689-Bachmann-32-150Z-Class-N-2-6-0-31874-Brian-Fisk-Mint-In-wooden-box-/353458544884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Is this a multiple listing of the same item?

I guess that this is a special edition, looking at the wooden case, but what caught my eye was the serial number - 32-150Z …

You see, 32-150 is one of those notorious Zinc Pest (Mazak Rot) affected models. So, if this model

is one of that batch, £230+ seems an awful lot of money for what is effectively a “dead duck”, even if it is a “collector’s item” for some reason!

Incidentally, I’ve received “offers” on all the overpriced items I’ve been watching, including the Mazak Rot affected N class, where £5 was knocked off the asking price (making it £70 for a definitely dud model, as opposed to £60 starting price for other, non-affected models listed elsewhere!)

Steve S

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403394983910?hash=item5dec36f7e6:g:txYAAOSwT~NeQUvm

For a price, another one missing a cab footstep.

The seller “micmcn” appears to be after Gostude’s crown - if you find something for sale at the most expensive price from Gostude, the likelihood is that micmcn will be selling the same thing for just slightly less.

Almost (almost) makes me wonder if they are one and the same! 

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115175976448?hash=item1ad105ee00:g:2MsAAOSwzDxh2KWE

There's nothing quite like a good selection of photos to help one decide what to bid on, and what to leave well alone! :dancer:

I see he has several items with exactly the same photo!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Appears to be the Dump it in a heap and ask four times what it's worth school of selling.

I also noticed that all of the buildings have their windows missing.

It's rather like a tsunami in the bottom of the one pound box .

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Appears to be the Dump it in a heap and ask four times what it's worth school of selling.

I also noticed that all of the buildings have their windows missing.

It's rather like a tsunami in the bottom of the one pound box .

He must have a big liquidiser!

Mike.

• Funny 4

On 06/01/2022 at 22:07, MrWolf said:

I think that you can still get the kit, for a lot less and maybe fit the boiler casting level?

He's had several unsuccessful attempts at flogging that old banger for £225

I rather think that GEM kits are no longer available. An internet search for GEM and Lytchett Manor Models, the recent manufacturer doesn't turn up anything other than "N" etched nameplates.

So that model may have increasing rarity value. However, why any honest person would describe it as MIB, is beyond belief. But that's eBay traders for you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

I rather think that GEM kits are no longer available. An internet search for GEM and Lytchett Manor Models, the recent manufacturer doesn't turn up anything other than "N" etched nameplates.

So that model may have increasing rarity value. However, why any honest person would describe it as MIB, is beyond belief. But that's eBay traders for you.

Cue unmade kits being moved around like stocks and shares.

Add another one to the list!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Cue unmade kits being moved around like stocks and shares.

Add another one to the list!

Indeed, but I don't think that they'll quite achieve the level of stupid prices of such kits as D&S. They regularly sell for more than those which are still available from other producers who have taken over some of Danny's range or those which are still occasionally are available from the man himself.

• Like 3

They certainly do. I was incredibly lucky and picked up a D&S GWR outside framed Toad brake van from the boxes under a modern image layout at an exhibition for £10. This was a couple of years ago and at the time they were going for between £65-85 on eBay.

I often wonder if any of those will get built or simply put into a drawer until the next price hike.

That definitely happens with vintage motorcycle parts, all of a sudden you get dealers trawling the stalls at autojumbles looking for the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1