EBay madness

Marcyg

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Strange that when South Africa treated its people like cattle the world boycotted all its products.

Still, there wasn't so many in the rest of the world with fingers in South African pies.

Call me cynical if you will.

Also, I thought that Australia was a part of the commonwealth, or doesn't that count anymore?

You can't boycott a country that produces the vast majority of the stuff you need to sustain your current quality of life.

CJI.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

You can't boycott a country that produces the vast majority of the stuff you need to sustain your current quality of life.

CJI.

I'm well aware of that, hence the comment about us having too many fingers in too many pies there.

It's been carefully engineered over the last few decades, it maximises profits for a few and keeps wages down in what remnants of a manufacturing industry we have left.

• Agree 3

Just now, MrWolf said:

I'm well aware of that, hence the comment about us having too many fingers in too many pies there.

It's been carefully engineered over the last few decades, it maximises profits for a few and keeps wages down in what remnants of a manufacturing industry we have left.

That may well be the case - I couldn't possibly comment further; (other than to observe that the horse that escaped via the stable door is going like a rocket and is already way over the horizon)!!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The final photo seems to depict a different loco - one with extra side vents?

10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

There are two sides to every loco! ;) :D

Ever wondered at a Nissan Cube?

314980215_nissancube.jpg.e417eb976a7083b53198b5a519cdd004.jpg

Lord knows what the designers were on that day!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

14 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Then perhaps you need to think about the quality of your life and what it depends on.

It isn't easy to avoid buying products from countries such as China, but you don't need to buy a new mobile phone every year, throw out clothes when they don't match the latest fashion trend. buy the latest RTR model just because it looks nice, etc.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Ever wondered at a Nissan Cube?

314980215_nissancube.jpg.e417eb976a7083b53198b5a519cdd004.jpg

The Japanese car industry has been good at doing weird for some time.  After realising that their early design decisions pushed the boundaries of blandness, they went too far the other way. Even their  current "regular" models look as though the design was given to the apprentice to liven up a bit, with OTT light clusters and other detailing.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Then perhaps you need to think about the quality of your life and what it depends on.

It isn't easy to avoid buying products from countries such as China, but you don't need to buy a new mobile phone every year, throw out clothes when they don't match the latest fashion trend. buy the latest RTR model just because it looks nice, etc.

I do not do any of the things that you mention, but I'm afraid that there is little chance of persuading those that do to radically change their lifestyle, in order to put try to pressure on a regime that is not influenced by external pressure.

CJI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It has to be said that a rather large amount of jobs in your town depend on imports from China...:angel:

(mine included!)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, admiles said:

It has to be said that a rather large amount of jobs in your town depend on imports from China...:angel:

(mine included!)

But how many would be employed in industry manufacturing what we import? James Hamilton Patterson's book, "What we have lost, the dismantling of Great Britain" makes interesting reading on the decline of industry in this country.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

But how many would be employed in industry manufacturing what we import? James Hamilton Patterson's book, "What we have lost, the dismantling of Great Britain" makes interesting reading on the decline of industry in this country.

Yes manufacturing industry in this country has declined hugely as it has in almost all "western" countries. Certainly for the short to medium term it isn't coming back as the economics simply don't stack up. Most people wouldn't be able to afford a lot of products if they were produced in this country rather than in the Far East. Nor, I suspect would a great many "Brits" want to work in mundane manufacturing jobs. We're already seeing labour shortages in many sectors. To fill those jobs you'd be having to allow more economic immigration...which is a whole other somewhat contentious discussion! 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, to coin a phrase: "S*** went sideways in a big hurry"

Speaking of that matter which went sideways, he'll be lucky to get half that sum, judging from the piles of similar coaches I see at toy and train fairs.

The tramcar body is unusual though.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Ian, to coin a phrase: "S*** went sideways in a big hurry"

Speaking of that matter which went sideways, he'll be lucky to get half that sum, judging from the piles of similar coaches I see at toy and train fairs.

The tramcar body is unusual though.

Yes I went back for a second nosey after posting. The blue Pullman triang centre car fetches about £30 so carries almost a third of the start price alone. Other stuff is mainly battered run of the mill triang etc. if it was all separated out I reckon with the crazy prices realised sometimes you could actually achieve the ton but it’d be many hours of faff. The mistake people make with these random lots is valuing each piece fully when the items aren’t cohesive and thus no single buyer could want everything for their layout.  That just leaves the job lot buyers to move items they don’t want on and they want their cut so won’t give the price. Because of the centre car I’d run to 50 if I was a dealer. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Interesting discussion and there’s a separate section of the forum for such discussions.

Back on track

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-Trains-Job-Lot-/154791742749?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

A hundred quid for this! 

Is that a swastika on the side of one of the freight cars?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

this looks Interesting on eBay, broad gauge kit built loco I think, badly listed so could be a bargain, or could not but not something you see every day 

IKB models by the look of it 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Metal-Locomotive-Model-Train-Hornby-/275107755835?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

From what I'm led to believe, it may or may not be a certain fungus, which may or may not resemble a certain breakfast side order, which goes nice with bacon, with, hallucinogenic properties. I must stress I have never been to Japan, so can't confirm it. ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Is that a swastika on the side of one of the freight cars?

I know! I saw it too. It’s the TR (triang railways) box car. I have one somewhere in that livery. (Grey not swastika!), I will assume it’s from.a childhood military origin for use with their plastic soldiers! 

• Like 3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enornmous-lot-of-Hornby-TRIANG-OO-GAUGE-TRACK-few-hundred-pieces-/194730838274?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Don’t throw away that old triang super 4 track that’s been in the garage rusting away since system 6 came out. Bung it dirt and all on eBay and ask well over a hundred pounds for it! 

• Funny 6

23 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enornmous-lot-of-Hornby-TRIANG-OO-GAUGE-TRACK-few-hundred-pieces-/194730838274?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Don’t throw away that old triang super 4 track that’s been in the garage rusting away since system 6 came out. Bung it dirt and all on eBay and ask well over a hundred pounds for it! 

Now I feel better about some of the junk I've sold over the years. At least I had the decency to start at 99 pence!

• Like 3