EBay madness

Marcyg

It looks like a power supply unit of the type once used in schools and laboratories to demonstrate / prove low voltage electrical / electronic circuits.

It looks like it's seen the hands of monkeys more than once.

Build your own enigma machine! :D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It looks like a power supply unit of the type once used in schools and laboratories to demonstrate / prove low voltage electrical / electronic circuits.

So, plug this into your model railway and watch you prized locos go up in smoke!? :scared:

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The dial comprises extinct radio stations??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm watching this as there is a museum in Chelmsford with a lot of Marconi exhibits.

There is indeed and I wonder what happened to the mid 50s ex Marconi  Commer Superpoise van that was parked up in Chelmsford about twenty years ago. It was supposedly saved for restoration. My grandfather worked for both Marconi and BTH on military projects in the thirties and forties, so I suspect that's where I got my interest in vintage radios etc from.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The dial comprises extinct radio stations??

You're right. Sorry about that, I borrowed the memdahibs phone so that I could enlarge the images and actually read the dial.

It's a suitcase radio from the early fifties. 

Again the type of thing used in schools to demonstrate the principles of radio. I did at one point have a radio in an ugly plywood box made I think by HMV that was sold under the name "Schools model" The case was about 5/8" thick.

A tough life anticipated!

It would definitely melt your trains! :D

Edit: Actually, it was a Clarke and Smith, not HMV.

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Round of applause 1

Looking at the condition of the external wiring and plug on the Marconiphone receiver, I would suggest that it was "foolhardy" to plug the thing into the mains! The socket above the tuning dial is probably for an external aerial, but the radio would be non-functional because the tuning condenser appears to be missing...

I had an early 60s transistor radio with a similar finish ( when those sorts of things turned up in jumble sales). Plywood case, a 6" Elac speaker, OC series transistors (45,71,81), big square EverReady 9v battery and a ferrite rod aerial. It died when it fell off a shelf, fracturing the ferrite rod.

Edited by Hroth
Stream of consciousness post (early AM) edited for coherence...
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, rab said:

Any wagon collectors around with £1700 to spare:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-N-gauge-HAA-HEA-CEA-wagons-boxed-/125102992110?

At 16.49 each it’s hardly a bulk saving. That said the postage savings versus a piecemeal accrual would be immense!

At least it’s a coherent collection that someone with grand plans could use…

2 hours ago, ianmacc said:

At 16.49 each it’s hardly a bulk saving. That said the postage savings versus a piecemeal accrual would be immense!

At least it’s a coherent collection that someone with grand plans could use…

He/she has got "make offer", so give 'em a bid. Start low and test the water from the counter-offer. :good:

19 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Thomas the Fairlie Engine

Cheers

Darius

As the body is clearly two "Nellies" it should properly be described as Triang-Bachmann. And as there's no motion work, it must be a Bo-Bo of some sort, rather than an 0-4-0+0-4-0. But it is cute, and if it runs well...  I wonder what the mechanism is from?

@Michael Hodgson So long as it's not a Wet Nellie...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Not sure what to say about this one…

The only relation to Phoenix I can think of is that it should be returned to the flames from which it rose.

Cheers

Darius

Someone wanted a DMU and grafted the ends of a Dapol (or Airfix) railbus kit onto a B Set and popped a spares-box motor bogie into it?

They'd have done better to motorise a pair of Autocoaches!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Someone wanted a DMU and grafted the ends of a Dapol (or Airfix) railbus kit onto a B Set and popped a spares-box motor bogie into it?

They'd have done better to motorise a pair of Autocoaches!

I like it! Got the look of a class 310!

• Like 1