EBay madness

Marcyg

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It might have worked if they had got the filler out and matched the roof profile.

And possibly a motor coach....? Must.....not.......bid......must........resist.....

• Friendly/supportive 4

15 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Thomas the Fairlie Engine

Cheers

Darius

Not really eBay madness as the workmanship is decent enough and the price a little high but not excessive. Nellieboshes thread? 

Not nit picking it’s just that I’ve raised before when people have used this thread to criticise items that are poor workmanship when they may have been done by a newbie or someone with learning difficulties etc and we as a a community are better than that. Unless the price is a p-take then it’s not eBay madness for me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Not really eBay madness as the workmanship is decent enough and the price a little high but not excessive. Nellieboshes thread? 

It's on an Underground Ernie tube train chassis so there is definitely less value in it. But at least the builder took the demonic eyes out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2022 at 20:38, john new said:

The latest oddity for me but might not quite qualify as madness. I bought two items from the 2nd hand section of a well known model railway retailer, both obviously in stock, both bought from one selection/payment basket and therefore both paid for together. Mailed separately, one arrived today, the other is due Monday. Both small enough to go in the box that arrived today so what…..? I’m guessing different store rooms, but it is only a guess.

And to complete the oddness the second item has arrived today by Royal Mail at my home (the billing address) not the local collection point I had set for delivery of both the items. Satisfactory outcome but all a bit odd.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Not nit picking it’s just that I’ve raised before when people have used this thread to criticise items that are poor workmanship when they may have been done by a newbie or someone with learning difficulties etc and we as a a community are better than that. Unless the price is a p-take then it’s not eBay madness for me. 

Good point, Ian.  This may not be to everyone's taste and the price is a little steep but not eye-wateringly so, and the builder has thought a little about the job, including coal bunkers and so on.  it's an oddity, sho' nuff, but not madness.  You want madness, search for '00 TTTE Murdoch'!

• Agree 4

This one ticks a few boxes 

Bachmann Oliver & Toad     "DELUXE BNIP RARE ELECTRIC TRAINS"

The two items can be found for at least £80 less  on a UK website.

Emily and coaches (not "RARE") over 3 times the price on the same UK website.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Add missed text
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Esmedune said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330816767317

WHY?

It is not as if you can't get top quality Black 5 RTR. Yes it is well built, but still, it is not worth megabucks, just because someone toiled over it and made a good job of it.

Ah, but, we're in the world of Gostude, a planet in a parallel universe to ours where anything is possible and angels fear to tread.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ah, but, we're in the world of Gostude, a planet in a parallel universe to ours where anything is possible and angels fear to tread.

Mike.

If I remember the song line correctly, Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread...

And pay over the odds for model railway items?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Well, yes and no.

Firstly, that is not a 'ebay madness' price in the usual sense. By that I mean the basic models are well over $1000.00. All Eisenbahn Canada prices are very expensive because they are all handbuilt to a very high standard and command very high prices.

I really have no idea how well they sell, but I understand that they are very nice models. Why they have released this 'special' version I have no idea. It's possible that the basic model hasn't sold well and so they have thought up this gimmick - I just don't know.

But here is their website ..............

http://eisenbahncanada.com/?model-taxonomies=chinese-prototypes

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Brand new museum condition from Eisenbahn Canada =  US$1650, that's over £1200. (plus VAT/handling charge on arrival in UK!)

http://eisenbahncanada.com/?models=usatc-s100-0-6-0t-steam-locomotive-ho-0043

For people with deep (very deep:good:) pockets.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Esmedune said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330816767317

WHY?

It is not as if you can't get top quality Black 5 RTR. Yes it is well built, but still, it is not worth megabucks, just because someone toiled over it and made a good job of it.

Well, this is the Gostudeverse and the normal rules of time, space, and the market are suspended.  Anything can happen in the next half hour. 

It is 'better' than a top quality RTR Black 5, even than the upcoming Hornby retool will be.  This is because it is well built from a very high quality kit, and has a Portescap motor with a built in gearbox that will give superior performance to any RTR mechanism.  It will be  superior to the Hornby in the finer details and in the coupling area between the loco and the tender which are scale rather than an RTR coupling method.  It has been very well painted and finished to museum display standard.

Now the bad news; orrible Olly has, as is his wont, bigged it up somewhat.  I am suspicious of the set of the valve gear lh side, happy to be corrected but looks odd to me, and at this price level I'd want properly fitted cab side and front windows, glass ones.  He goes a bit vague and difficult to pin down on the loco's provenance, claiming (possibly truthfully) not to know the kit manufacturer, but is more than happy to give the impression that it is a Brassmasters, covering himself by writing this as Brass Masters.  He's similarly created an impression that Larry Goddard built it, then describes it as 'made and painted by the masters in the business of Larry Goddard and Junction in 1985', which doesn't actually mean anything except for the date.  What does 'in the business of' actually mean, and what does 'the masters' actually mean. if, say, you were obliged to explain these terms in a court of law or on a legal depostion?  It's the sort of thing one might assume one knows the meaning of, but when it is examined closely matters becaome a bit wobbly, and wobbly is exactly the area in which mendacious chisellers such as this operate, and how they fund their classic sports car collections.  It's not illegal; Caveat Emptor.  This is normal on Planet Gostude, but nowhere else (Rocket Railways are a close second, though).

FWIW, literally, I'd say it might reasonably fetch about £400 or more, but just south of £600 is way over the top.  Of course, it's worth what somebody pays for it and there's one born every minute.  I might give it another hundred if it has full compensation, maybe more for detail between the frames., but this is not claimed and I therefore assume it to be rigid chassis. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Well, yes and no.

Firstly, that is not a 'ebay madness' price in the usual sense. By that I mean the basic models are well over $1000.00. All Eisenbahn Canada prices are very expensive because they are all handbuilt to a very high standard and command very high prices.

I really have no idea how well they sell, but I understand that they are very nice models. Why they have released this 'special' version I have no idea. It's possible that the basic model hasn't sold well and so they have thought up this gimmick - I just don't know.

But here is their website ..............

http://eisenbahncanada.com/?model-taxonomies=chinese-prototypes

Wow.  I can only hope they never make a GW 2721 half-cab pannier; it would destroy my life because I couldn't have one.

• Friendly/supportive 4

Although it doesn't have a DCC decoder, this sounds a bit more sensible at a starting price of £89.00+£5 delivery. Adding  a Lais DCC decoder should set you back another £14 or so... I don't think it'd it'd get anywhere near £159.50+£8 delivery in total, Doddy or not....

• Like 1