EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Insanity in my opinion, one level above madness!!

I bet whoever bought the craftsman business and done nothing with it, must be kicking himself with the prices paid for the old kits. 

Edited by rka
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rka said:

I bet whoever bought the craftsman business and done nothing with it, must be kicking himself with the prices paid for the old kits. 

But only because of that very fact, if they were still in production they wouldn't be achieving ebay prices.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I thought that was Simon Kohler...... :)

You'd have had to have watched (at least some of) the recent 'Hornby a Model World' programmes 

How tickled he was to be on the telly.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

Perhaps not “madness” but another of those listings that I feel is “economical with the truth” …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-Dapol-OO-Gauge-Mk2-Coaches-/144372152139?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

“Coaches are in excellent condition and run perfectly” [my emphasis added]

Now, is it just me, or does anybody else think the two rear coaches don’t have buffer beams/buffers?

I’m not suggesting that the photos have been taken in such a way as to hide that fact … oh, s*d it, all right, I am!!

I’ve sent a message asking specifically about the buffers - I’ll have an answer about the trustworthiness of this sale whether they respond or not…

Steve S

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Dapol (originally Airfix) Mk2D coach buffer beams and buffers were quite well recessed, i.e. didn’t noticeably stick out.

Looking at the photos I think they are there - they just get lost in the shadows.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The Dapol (originally Airfix) Mk2D coach buffer beams and buffers were quite well recessed, i.e. didn’t noticeably stick out.

Looking at the photos I think they are there - they just get lost in the shadows.

Cheers

Darius

They are also on the chassis moulding, so there is no point in removing the buffers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We forget that the following of the 50s reached fever pitch in the 80s and 90s as they were retired. As someone that holidayed frequently in Devon at that time it was very evident with the enthusiasts at Dawlish etc. something like that would have sold brilliantly at the time. As a teenager I’d have appreciated it. However I suspect that was cast after the fever had subsided and demand is less nowadays. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I always find this kind of thing a little uncomfortable. But then I also would never want to own a "flame cut"  chunk of something that would just permanently remind me it didn't exist any more.

Mind you, at least the ones done for the Warships had a bit of effort put into them.

• Like 1

If someone saw that on a sideboard say, and then asked what it was, you would explain and share your knowledge. That person may take an interest, Google a picture, think " wow, that's nice/horrible", and maybe the germ of an idea may sprout, next thing, their family realises they have become one of us.......one of us.......one of us.......:locomotive:

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Reminds me of Clogau jewellery, fairly ordinary gold stuff, with a hint of gold mined in Wales, sold at a premium price.

Its called "buying into the romance"...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Reminds me of Clogau jewellery, fairly ordinary gold stuff, with a hint of gold mined in Wales, sold at a premium price.

Its called "buying into the romance"...

I thought that was the traditional craft of Selling junk to tourists?

That said, a friend of mine does rather well selling special little hazel  sticks to people at festivals...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Not only does Rocket Railways own Ebay lister person know naff all about railways, they don't know a lot about buses either it seems...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115074648576?hash=item1acafbca00:g:5UUAAOSwCXVhgAPx

All missing a deck for a starter!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, rka said:

Just seen that a craftsman class 119 kit has sold for £98, not sure if that's madness or not? 

Sounds nuts, but if you really wanted a 119 (which almost by definition means you'd really want a 120 as well), this might be the only method other than an attempt at scratching.  With the 120, you could go down the route of using Rue d'Etropal's (Simon Dawson of this parish) 3D bodyshells, which cover all variants of the class (buffet car trailers, 1961 batch with headcode panels) and underframes from the Bachmann 117, but it's an expensive game!  Simon does not (at least as yet) 'do' a 119, so this as I say could be the only way to acquire one.  £98 for 3 cars, cheaper than Simon's 120.

120s feature prominently in wishlists and polls, so it is unlikey that the manufacturers are unaware of the demand for them, and if you wanted one, you might be inclined to hold off in the hope that one of them will bite sooner or later, but the 119, while similar in many was to the 120, was different enough to require different tooling because the window and bodyside profiles were different as well as the cabs, and did not have the longevity of the 120s or their eventual geographical spread, so there is much less chance of a manufacturer investing in it than the 120, so one can see why someone fussy about his dmus would be willing to pay this admittedly inflated price.

• Agree 1