EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

We luvs the 'diff, we duz.  No, at least not that I'm aware of, it's a Johnsterism.

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

t’s like she looks up a Smokey Joe, averages out prices between the low starting bids of £5 and the crazy dropshipping prices of £80+ and then slaps £38 on a loco despite its missing a chimney and other obvious damage.

Quite possibly.  The effectiveness of this as a pricing policy would be borne out or otherwise by someone buying the things, and as there's one born every minute, its proabably fairly effective.  The question is whether or not taking advantage of those born every minute is ripping them off or justifiably milking a cash cowShe's doing nothing illegal, which is not to say that I approve of it, and she's not alone.  Caveat Emptor.

Dropshopping is something else, and is probably misrepresentation if the vendor claims to have an item in stock or to hand (but difficult to prove that they do not).  It is at best mendacious, but less so if the vendor states that they are not in posession of the item and are acting as a procurement agent on behalf of the prospective vendee, and the pricing reflects a fee for this 'service', but of course nobody with half an ounce of sense would buy anying advertised in this way!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We luvs the 'diff, we duz.  No, at least not that I'm aware of, it's a Johnsterism.

Quite possibly.  The effectiveness of this as a pricing policy would be borne out or otherwise by someone buying the things, and as there's one born every minute, its proabably fairly effective.  The question is whether or not taking advantage of those born every minute is ripping them off or justifiably milking a cash cowShe's doing nothing illegal, which is not to say that I approve of it, and she's not alone.  Caveat Emptor.

Dropshopping is something else, and is probably misrepresentation if the vendor claims to have an item in stock or to hand (but difficult to prove that they do not).  It is at best mendacious, but less so if the vendor states that they are not in posession of the item and are acting as a procurement agent on behalf of the prospective vendee, and the pricing reflects a fee for this 'service', but of course nobody with half an ounce of sense would buy anying advertised in this way!

Three cheers for the 'diff'! :D

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Dropshopping is something else, and is probably misrepresentation if the vendor claims to have an item in stock or to hand (but difficult to prove that they do not).  It is at best mendacious

Came across one of these recently - three “Smokey Joe” locos available at a bargain price of something like £75 each …

I contacted the seller, said I was interested in all three (and could they give me a discount for bulk purchase?) but then asked for a photo of all three together, seeing as their listing used a standard stock photo.

No response as yet…

“Mendacious” - definitely the polite way of saying it!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, ianmacc said:

£57.99 misentered I reckon! 

There's 3 R3001 examples active at present, one is bid to £300 with just over 2 hours to go. There is another for £550, and then our friend above. It seems that expectations for this particular model are becoming heated already!

Forgot to mention, the (still £300) one is RARE too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284611791621?hash=item42442f4b05:g:-PUAAOSwoQ9h5F-Y

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, darrel said:

"A very special item"...

I think that anyone who shelled out £145  for it would be a bit special too....

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

20 hours ago, Hroth said:

There's 3 R3001 examples active at present, one is bid to £300 with just over 2 hours to go. There is another for £550, and then our friend above. It seems that expectations for this particular model are becoming heated already!

Forgot to mention, the (still £300) one is RARE too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284611791621?hash=item42442f4b05:g:-PUAAOSwoQ9h5F-Y

Clicked the link but took me here instead!

RAILS!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/25051301067?iid=284611791621

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/01/2022 at 16:37, Michael Hodgson said:

It's classified as a public timetable.

Probably based on the fact that a return journey

would get you there and back again!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

'Box its ears and send it home!' :locomotive::jester:

• Funny 5

11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’ve seen them sell for that too! 

if my little one ever gets into proper electric Thomas I’ll be converting the standard issues into Bear, D261 etc instead.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 24/01/2022 at 12:14, Bill Radford said:

Clicked the link but took me here instead!

RAILS!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/25051301067?iid=284611791621

That's because it sold for £300(+delivery). If you're using a phone or tablet, eBay won't show the item but direct you to something similar, unless you tell the browser to show the desktop page.

15 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Or you can have James, for a smidge under £250!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353857045975

(boxed but not "RARE"!!!)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

I just thought....

For what these jokers want for simplistic Thomas items, you could pre-order Hornby's new top of the range Black Five, with smoke and sound. And if you pre-order two (one to keep and one to sell), choose your eBay moment and you'll probably recoup your entire expenditure!

Trying not to be cynical... :whistle:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I just thought....

For what these jokers want for simplistic Thomas items, you could pre-order Hornby's new top of the range Black Five, with smoke and sound. And if you pre-order two (one to keep and one to sell), choose your eBay moment and you'll probably recoup your entire expenditure!

Trying not to be cynical... :whistle:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's one thing to pillory people for asking daft prices when a simple search shows that a particular item sells for much less. But the last one of these sold on ebay as an auction item was bid up to £72 and a pair went for £130 so these are clearly going for daft money. So if you had one to sell, would you be happy to accept a lower amount? It's not food or medicine after all!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Why?

Looks like some sort of snorkel fitted to the cab.

Cheers

Darius

Seems to have been retrofitted with a pair of ladders off a TTA tank wagon, the boiler handrails off an Airfix 14xx tank loco and the deflector part from an Eddie Stobart liveried Class 66 plus a bit of cut off semaphore signal arm stuck on one end.  As to what the bucket bit on one end is for, I have no idea!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1