EBay madness

Marcyg

This is my first post on here (posted a bit on the old forum), but I need to get something off my chest. Are people on eBay copmpletly mad!!!??? A set of Hornby tankers (the old railroad version), 9 of which were for sale. I put them on my watch list as buying bulk has it's advantages! I compared how much 9 brand new ones from one of the big box shifters would be, which came to ??24, a not unfair amount. ??42 the tankers went for on eBay! Do people not think to check first!? I know there are some things on eBay that command a high price, I paid a few 'premium prices' in the past, but these are ropey old Hornby tankers. OK, sorry about that, just had to vent it:D

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

Mad if you're buying, but great if selling.... It never ceases to amaze me, people just don't bother to find out how much stuff actually costs new, & fall over themselves to pay over the odds... Yep, everyone's mad except me & thee....laugh.gif

Fools and money ring true again......

• Like 7

Well it was the girlfriends birthday last month and i was looking at vouchers for her. Looked on Ebay and every single voucher had bids. The problem was that i wanted a ??50 voucher. The one i wanted had been bid upto ??63:icon_frustrated:!!! Do people on Ebay not think or are they just plain thick??:icon_what:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

It is very easy to get swept along with the auction and over-bid.

To avoid that I never bid after a drink! and only bid towards the end, knowing what my upper limit is.

I guess that is why I buy so little from Ebay!

• Like 3

Looking thro', last night, someone (a dealer) had a Wrenn Standard 2-6-4T for sale at ??490, but there were no bids on it - wonder why ?? Just think of the number of Bachy ones for that price - and run a decent Shoeburyness servicebiggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

I've often wondered who the people are bidding silly money, often on items that could be bought far cheaper online from the likes of Hattons or Rails. Still, I sold a load of Bachmann wagons, and was amazed what they went for (EWS isn't a livery that interest me, so I offloaded). Some went for more than twice what they would cost to buy from any model shop. Still, their loss is my gain.

EDIT: Oooops! A bit of thread necromancy here...

• RMweb Premium

It isn't just model railways that go for silly prices. With my other hat on I have been trying for some time now to acquire some extra Lego road baseboards, specifically the proper light grey ones from the 1980's. EVERY SINGLE lot that has been listed on Ebay in the last few months has been snapped up by the same bidder (you can tell by the feedback number, same every time) using a snipe program in the last five seconds, he must have hundreds of them now.

Now tonight this guy's ruse is revealed as a seller is now offering quantities of them Buy It Now at vastly inflated prices and it is the same chap as the feedback number is identical. Clever stuff, buy every last one you can lay your hands on (thereby artifically inflating the market price for them) and then sell them again netting a mint in profit!!

(You may tell I am a tad miffed at this guy, unfortunately because I need a couple I have had to give in and buy three from him!!)

• Friendly/supportive 2

Not all greedy so and so's win. I recently noticed a Farish 31 'Sister Dora' advertised with a starting price of 65 GDP. It didnt sell. Not surprising when it is advertised new by a Model shop for 35 GDP in recent model railway magazines

It isn't just model railways that go for silly prices. With my other hat on I have been trying for some time now to acquire some extra Lego road baseboards, specifically the proper light grey ones from the 1980's. EVERY SINGLE lot that has been listed on Ebay in the last few months has been snapped up by the same bidder (you can tell by the feedback number, same every time) using a snipe program in the last five seconds, he must have hundreds of them now.

Now tonight this guy's ruse is revealed as a seller is now offering quantities of them Buy It Now at vastly inflated prices and it is the same chap as the feedback number is identical. Clever stuff, buy every last one you can lay your hands on (thereby artifically inflating the market price for them) and then sell them again netting a mint in profit!!

(You may tell I am a tad miffed at this guy, unfortunately because I need a couple I have had to give in and buy three from him!!)

:icon_wow::icon_e_surprised: I have about 15 of those Lego boards still from my younger days. Might have to Ebay them i think.........

• RMweb Premium

Not model railway but came across this by accident, available from Lego.com for about £18, Tesco's had a stack of them last week at about £15 so why did two jokers battle each other resulting in one just having to fork out £62 for it?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120532243730&autorefresh=true

I wish there was a facility on Ebay to add comments about a lot, somebody need to be told here that they are a total and utter mug.

• Like 1

But on the other hand.......still some great bargains to be had, so much so that ebay is my first port of call when looking to buy. 'Course, I've got a brain too.

Most items seem to be fetching good prices, great if you a seller but as phil says there are still some gems to be found if you look hard and long enough.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180464226037&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Turned out to be 2 x Bristol models Jubilee bodies and a Hawksworth GWR tender which will replace one of my Wills Castle tenders (which in turn will go behind a a Wills 22xx as I have a picture of one of these locos with this type of tender. So I will have 2 Kings and 2 Colletts with different tenders and I still have 2 Jubilee bodies to play around with, but I guess one will be sold as I have a K's and Eames Jubilees already.

Please keep moaning about Ebay prices and put a few more people off, more for the likes of Phil and myself.

• Like 1

icon_wow.gificon_e_surprised.gif I have about 15 of those Lego boards still from my younger days. Might have to Ebay them i think.........

I suspect I might have a similar number about somewhere. Must have a rummage around. They are the ones with the green lines along the roadways.....

I do wonder whether half the reason for crazy bidding is because there's some shill bidding going on.....

A Masterclass Models CCT etch went for £42 recently; the manufacturer is I think about to make another batch at £36.

Spare Bachmann Class 40 body values also seem to be going through the roof of late.

And as for D&S kits....oh my God that's millionaire territory now!

Dave Bradwell Hopper etch rrp £7.50 one on ebay currently @ £14.50 !! bizarre

Y e e e s s s..... I've just bought five of the same etches off eBay for £16, against Dave Bradwell's own price of £33 for five. I'm not complaining. Also got the Dapol hopper bodies from the same source for another £14. *smug smile*

• Like 1

Y e e e s s s..... I've just bought five of the same etches off eBay for £16, against Dave Bradwell's own price of £33 for five. I'm not complaining. Also got the Dapol hopper bodies from the same source for another £14. *smug smile*

gRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :P

• Funny 1

Like people have said already ebay can produce good results every now and again. I've now decided that rather than wait until the last minute to make sure I get something I now put in my maximum price with about 3 days to go and if it goes for more than that I can wait for the next one (of course this only works if you 1)know what the item is worth to you and 2)the item is reasonably common.

Anything rare, like a Scottish Working Timetable, I just bid a stupid price for to make sure I get it but then again not many other people are that bothered in buying one.

Last week I bid 60 quid for a Heljan 47591 in large logo and got it for 56.09, I thought that was a pretty good result and the model when it arrived was totally untouched.

• Like 1

.....Last week I bid 60 quid for a Heljan 47591 in large logo and got it for 56.09, I thought that was a pretty good result and the model when it arrived was totally untouched.

Fair result.

After several tries, I finally got a Heljan Hymek for under £40 a year or so ago. That was untouched in the original box also, and the sticker price on that was £60 blink.gif - must be a form of depreciation.

• Like 1

gRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :P

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

As far as buying model railway stuff on Ebay, I've not had that much luck. I've bought a few Bachmann wagons on buy it now at a fair price from a shop in North Wales, but other than that I have succeeded in winning a grand total of one wagon on conventional bidding (a pristine boxed Bachmann blue riband five planker in 'George Lovegrove' red livery) which I only won because I decided at 99p it deserved a bid, and no-one bid against me for some reason still unknown. That was around four years ago though.

Everything else I've bid on went for silly money - WHO is paying £10 or more for run of the mill Bachmann wagons that are still available from Hattons new at £6 or £7? Even more unusual stuff I bid on goes for stupid prices to the point where I'm almost tempted to strip out all the old Hornby-Dublo D1, D2 and G3 switches that control the electrics on my layout and sell them on Ebay, because every switch I've bid on has ended up going for £10 or more.

Many other things are going for silly money too. I've been searching for Bosun dinghy hulls, to replace a scrapped hull that now is filled with plants and soil as a fancy gate guardian. I'm almost tempted to dig the thing out, as scrap hulls on Ebay were fetching several hundred pounds. I used to buy a lot of clothes and records too, but these areas seem to have also been invaded by the red mist merchants.

The only bargains still to be had on Ebay are not in model railways. For weird little computer parts (like IDE compact flash adapters, and PCI to PCMCIA cards) Ebay has more choice than the High street at a fraction of the price. How long before the red mist merchants kill this supply too?

I've sold a lot on Ebay, but whilst Bachmann I sold went for silly prices, latterly some of the Hornby Dublo and Hornby Acho wagons and locos I was selling were failing to attract even a single bid, so I stopped bothering with them. I tried selling my Father's old stash of Flying Reviews and Commercial motors too which he didn't want, and only ONE issue from 1964 actually sold. Even at 1p, no-one wanted them, and there were complete sets through to 1989 of Commercial motor and Flying review for 1960s/70s IIRC.

• Friendly/supportive 1