EBay madness

Marcyg

The first two finishing prices do state 'reserve not met'. Therefore I think he has set the reserve very high and realises there is so little interest that he may as well start the new auction at the reserve price (or very close to it). 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, petethemole said:

If you look at the rest of this sellers items there are a lot of listing where the “Spill Chucker”:sarcastichand: has taken over. Including a Hornby B12 chassis for the little known outside cylinders modification.

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, petethemole said:

He/She is probably lisdexic. Even so He/She is selling a ;load of dismantled Crap, rubbish, unless you want what's you are after.

My family are dyslexic so we do take the p!ss out of each other!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ramrig said:

If you look at the rest of this sellers items there are a lot of listing where the “Spill Chucker”:sarcastichand: has taken over. Including a Hornby B12 chassis for the little known outside cylinders modification.

Or this B12 chassis perhaps?  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Won-t-be-00-class-B12-locomotive-Chassia-Spear-China/224180172563?hash=item34322df713:g:DKoAAOSw04dfeP-z

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks quite curly? Any thoughts re breed??

To be honest, my first impression was something of the human variety, medium brown curly variety, Homeo Erectus!  As for dog curly breed identity, I haven't the first idea.  

Julian

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, andytrains said:

He/She is probably lisdexic. Even so He/She is selling a ;load of dismantled Crap, rubbish, unless you want what's you are after.

My family are dyslexic so we do take the p!ss out of each other!

Is that better than taking the pass out of each other?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

When it was dicovered that people have a clinical difficulty with reading and writing, which sadistic b@st@rd decided to call it "dyslexia"? That's just taking the p!ss!!

As somebody who has supported adults with dyslexia, that question comes up more often than you would think!

Steve S

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

When it was dicovered that people have a clinical difficulty with reading and writing, which sadistic b@st@rd decided to call it "dyslexia"? That's just taking the p!ss!!

As somebody who has supported adults with dyslexia, that question comes up more often than you would think!

Steve S

A valid point.   After I had posted the link last night to one of several "won't be 00...." eBay listings and I'd gone to bed, the thought occurred to me that the seller may have difficulty in reading or writing English and may have been using voice recognition software which is not yet quite up to speed on recognising his/her voice.     Perhaps "Won't Be" should read "Hornby".

• RMweb Premium
On 09/10/2020 at 20:55, petethemole said:

I'm no expert on the S.R., but surely if it's 'Blackmoor Vale', it's a West Country? Which seems to confirmed by the end label on the box.

So the seller has no need to attempt to spell Battle of Britain.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I'm no expert on the S.R., but surely if it's 'Blackmoor Vale', it's a West Country? Which seems to confirmed by the end label on the box.

It's to get them plenty of free advertising though, so they ain't that daft!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The Hornby data sheet that comes with the loco has the title “Battle of Britain/West Country” so perhaps this confused the seller, who may be unaware of such distinctions.

Darius

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

On 08/10/2020 at 23:17, newbryford said:

Couldn't let page 1000 go by without a 

"paint it yellow and put Network Rail stickers on"............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00X5-Network-Rail-Small-Coaches-Repainted/224154607513?hash=item3430a7df99:g:I1gAAOSwJ2lfXOnh

And today, after a very large rum and coke, I sent him a message asking him if he was mad?!

He responded, "Y?"

Maybe he is a non-English speaker, because I realised he might have thought I meant "mad" as in "angry" rather than "mad" as in "off your rocker"

(I know - not very PC - especially on World Mental Health Day/Week/History Month or whatever it is right now)

Having said that, his profile says he lives in Stockport...

Bearing in mind, this joker also has a Triang dock shunter body shell painted up as a Network Rail shunter for crazy money .... but if you scroll down through his items, the chassis is available on its own as a "spare" for more than you normally pick up a complete, running version of the loco.

I tried to be nice. Really, I did...

But I admit to telling him that perhaps he should sell the chassis and body shell together!

Just a chancer grabbing up secondhand stuff, taking it to pieces and trying to flog off the parts at extortionate prices. It's folk like that who are pushing the second hand prices upwards .... somebody decides to sell a Triang Dock Shunter, checks eBay and discovers someone is selling just the body for £50 and thinks, "My engine has got wheels as well, so surely it must be worth more than that?!" And then stumbles across a Gostude listing for the same item, damaged but with a crappy plastic snowplough on the front advertised for £120+ and thinks, "Well, and that one is damaged, but has got a plough which mine hasn't got, so mine must be worth about (guessing) £90 - I'll start it at £70 then" ... and suddenly everything goes up in price.

Sorry, grumbling.

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Couldn't agree more. It's the same with everything, it's apparently worth more dead than alive. It's particularly prevalent with my other obsession, vintage motorcycles.

There's some joker currently trying to sell a more or less complete engine that would fit one of my bikes, for £700. Yes, there are some valuable bits on it, but I would value it at £400-450. Especially when you see that the oil pump is missing. Did someone rob it out to keep another bike going or was there an oil pressure related catastrophe? It's a bit of a gamble. The next day another engine appears, looking like it just came out of a hedge. Both crankcase halves smashed, cylinder barrel and cylinder head fins broken off, gearbox case smashed. 

So it's "only" £500. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Couldn't agree more. It's the same with everything, it's apparently worth more dead than alive. It's particularly prevalent with my other obsession, vintage motorcycles.

There's some joker currently trying to sell a more or less complete engine that would fit one of my bikes, for £700. Yes, there are some valuable bits on it, but I would value it at £400-450. Especially when you see that the oil pump is missing. Did someone rob it out to keep another bike going or was there an oil pressure related catastrophe? It's a bit of a gamble. The next day another engine appears, looking like it just came out of a hedge. Both crankcase halves smashed, cylinder barrel and cylinder head fins broken off, gearbox case smashed. 

So it's "only" £500. 

In time, 3D metal printing will put these jokers out of business.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just a chancer grabbing up secondhand stuff, taking it to pieces and trying to flog off the parts at extortionate prices. It's folk like that who are pushing the second hand prices upwards .... somebody decides to sell a Triang Dock Shunter, checks eBay and discovers someone is selling just the body for £50 and thinks, "My engine has got wheels as well, so surely it must be worth more than that?!" And then stumbles across a Gostude listing for the same item, damaged but with a crappy plastic snowplough on the front advertised for £120+ and thinks, "Well, and that one is damaged, but has got a plough which mine hasn't got, so mine must be worth about (guessing) £90 - I'll start it at £70 then" ... and suddenly everything goes up in price.

Sorry, grumbling.

Stblockquo

It only pushes the prices up if people are daft enough to buy.

• Agree 3