EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Triang used to sell locos and tenders as separate items with their own R numbers, so there is a precedent of sorts.  And If the loco was used with a tender that was not as supplied when originally sold, then I can see why they may be treated as separate lots.

What annoys me are the sellers who break down a desirable loco into as many parts as they think they can get away with and list them in consecutive lots!  The total of the starting prices is like building a car from manufacturers spares...

The other issue for me would be paint shades. Any suitable tender you might find would need to be painted to match the loco. One might struggle to identify the matching paint?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The other issue for me would be paint shades. Any suitable tender you might find would need to be painted to match the loco. One might struggle to identify the matching paint?

The "Painted Caledonian Sleeper" chap could paint them both for you, any colour you like.  Even with a paint brush (perhaps)?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Makes one wonder, at that price, who WILL be having one? One of the benefits of being an actual modeller is not having to pay stupid money for something we can build/convert/restore for ourselves. 

Not everybody can do that kind of work. I can not, at least anymore. If you figure in your time (at your rate of pay from work, or what it was before you retired) and materials, the listed Hornby just might be cheaper. Plus time spent on building kits, modifying cars/locos, etc is not time spent running trains. And running trains is the whole point of our obsession hobby. Just my NSHO.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I took a punt on a "Spares or repair" Rivarossi BR39 2-8-2 for 35 Euro from a private seller described as "doesn't run, don't know what's wrong with it".

Took it out of the box this afternoon, turned it over and at first thought it was fitted with traction tyres as each wheel had a thick black oily gunky band on the tread. Application of the edge of a small flat-bladed screwdriver and a rub-down with cotton buds soaked in meths, plus a little bit of oil on the bearings and the first couple of circuits on the layout were a bit jerky, but now runs smooth and sweet as a nut. Took about 20 mins total including the time spent rummaging in the missus' drawers looking for cotton buds.  Result! :^)

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

I took a punt on a "Spares or repair" Rivarossi BR39 2-8-2 for 35 Euro from a private seller described as "doesn't run, don't know what's wrong with it".

Took it out of the box this afternoon, turned it over and at first thought it was fitted with traction tyres as each wheel had a thick black oily gunky band on the tread. Application of the edge of a small flat-bladed screwdriver and a rub-down with cotton buds soaked in meths, plus a little bit of oil on the bearings and the first couple of circuits on the layout were a bit jerky, but now runs smooth and sweet as a nut. Took about 20 mins total including the time spent rummaging in the missus' drawers looking for cotton buds.  Result! :^)

You don't surprise me. I reckon that about half of the "non-runners" that I used to get in the shop were due to dirty wheels.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

"... time spent rummaging in the missus' drawers ..." Thought I'd found my way to the 'Dark Net'! :O

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"... time spent rummaging in the missus' drawers ..." Thought I'd found my way to the 'Dark Net'! :O

Many many years ago I worked in a team with the lovely Stephanie. She left us to go off and get married and a couple of weeks after she left we had a meeting where the location of a particular file was under debate. Our boss said "I think Steph had it last, can someone go and have a rummage in her drawers?" There were a few moments contemplative silence whilst 5 blokes around the table had a momentary personal reflection with dreamy looks in their eyes, before the sniggering started. :^)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Many many years ago I worked in a team with the lovely Stephanie. She left us to go off and get married and a couple of weeks after she left we had a meeting where the location of a particular file was under debate. Our boss said "I think Steph had it last, can someone go and have a rummage in her drawers?" There were a few moments contemplative silence whilst 5 blokes around the table had a momentary personal reflection with dreamy looks in their eyes, before the sniggering started. :^)

Sounds like a screen play from a Carry On film! One of Sid James' finest moments!? ;) 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Whole rash of ABS 7mm GWR kits up now at just £99 each. They've been unavailable for a long time and were only going for 35-40 ish recently.

Or theres a quite nicely made up one at £50 and I'd though that was a bit steep!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Sounds like a screen play from a Carry On film! One of Sid James' finest moments!? ;) 

With Sid it would be one of his raucous dirty laughs rather than a mere snigger!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2