EBay madness

Marcyg

9 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's like a 'Lucky Dip'! Or an 'Unlucky Dip' if you pay over the odds?

I reckon that if you got it free and only paid for the postage it might still be over the odds and a potential disappointment...

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This from the same seller is even better. I reckon that even @Ruffnut Thorston   would struggle to identify this random c2ap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313436398726

Looks like the old Airfix Lowmac and JCB if so it's much cheaper than the current Dapol price for the same items. Also with the age of the moulds affecting Dapol's quality it might be an easier build. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its the Peco Roadrailer kit, it says so in the description. A bit of a bargain at £7:50 IF all the parts are there. 

That's been updated then.  Collectors won't want it, unless they have the original packaging. It's a bit of an obscure (failed) prototype for most modellers too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

All I want to know is, how the heck did that helicopter land on that roof?

8 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

The actual boxed trainsets and wagons are probably worth about £200 all in, sold separately the GBL static copies about £400 in total, and another £50 for the rest of the stuff.

£1900 is pushing it a bit!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

All I want to know is, how the heck did that helicopter land on that roof?

The actual boxed trainsets and wagons are probably worth about £200 all in, sold separately the GBL static copies about £400 in total, and another £50 for the rest of the stuff.

£1900 is pushing it a bit!

Each to their own I suppose, but I have never seen the point in all those static locos, they're just dust magnets and virtually worthless. I wouldn't even include them in the equation.

When we can go outside again, the car boot sales will be overrun with them and all the other instant collectables as usual.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This from the same seller is even better. I reckon that even @Ruffnut Thorston   would struggle to identify this random c2ap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313436398726

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its the Peco Roadrailer kit, it says so in the description. A bit of a bargain at £7:50 IF all the parts are there. 

Well, I did spot the AEC Mandator Cab, so deduced the Road Railer connexion...before I noticed Phil’s post....

The bit of Road Railer description is in the item specifics...I don’t  know why the seller didn’t cut and paste that bit or re type it, into the actual description...But not all plastic kits are actually Airfix...:no:

Brand: Airfix

Replica of: Roadrailer

I can also see the side frames for the adaptor bogie, so it is possible that this is the kit that only contains the AEC tractor unit and the railway adaptor bogie. No box van.

There were a series of kits made, marketed through PECO...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Well, I did spot the AEC Mandator Cab, so deduced the Road Railer connexion...before I noticed Phil’s post....

The bit of Road Railer description is in the item specifics...I don’t  know why the seller didn’t cut and paste that bit or re type it, into the actual description...But not all plastic kits are actually Airfix...:no:

I can also see the side frames for the adaptor bogie, so it is possible that this is the kit that only contains the AEC tractor unit and the railway adaptor bogie. No box van.

I find it very strange that only a week ago he sold a properly described and illustrated similar item starting at the same price. See item number 313436399122 at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scalecraft-OO-scale-Roadrailer-AEC-Mandator-Bogie-kit-Unbuilt-/313436399122?nma=true&si=lkmjjuLxq1pZddUplZVtn90LvZg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I imagine that there will be more tractor units about than the actual trailer/van vehicles, several of which would be required to form a half convincing train.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Riddles said:

I find it very strange that only a week ago he sold a properly described and illustrated similar item starting at the same price. See item number 313436399122 at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scalecraft-OO-scale-Roadrailer-AEC-Mandator-Bogie-kit-Unbuilt-/313436399122?nma=true&si=lkmjjuLxq1pZddUplZVtn90LvZg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I imagine that there will be more tractor units about than the actual trailer/van vehicles, several of which would be required to form a half convincing train.

The trailers were available separately, IIRC there were two in a pack.

I remember an article in one of the comics years ago where the writer has found a couple of kits for the vans and upgraded them. He also rescued a couple of badly built and painted ones that were stripped and rebuilt. He said at the time it seemed an odd choice for a mass production kit, but wasn't having a lot of luck finding more to depict one of the experimental trains.

That must have been about thirty years ago and I don't think I have heard anything of these kits since.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There was also a proposed open trailer and tank trailer but they never left the drawing board. There is a few seconds of film of a roadrailer train travelling through Barking. Hauled by a class 24 or 25 the train consisted of an ex-LMS GUV and a pair of roadrailer vans no doubt under test.

• Like 1

I've got a RoadRailer adaptor bogie and a van with the road/rail wheels, I've no recollection of the Matador tractor unit.  I must admit I built the unit I have a good few years ago!

• Like 2

There was also a boxed kit, consisting of the AEC tractor unit, adaptor bogie, and one box van trailer.

Peco Catalogue 1968...

FF526CC4-6982-40D9-99C6-C72D9E6A35EB.jpeg.71ca46e9615088fd77c9414ef639e5cc.jpeg

Also, see this thread...

8 hours ago, Riddles said:

Even more strange...the photo on the current listing is included in the previous listing, but it has been turned upside down ! :scratchhead:

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

I wonder if this loco comes with directional lighting...

Looks like globules of water oozing out of the front. Reminds me of that episode of Top Gear where a trio of BL cars were filled with water, and had to be driven the furthest around the track before the water level fell below the bottom of the steering wheel...

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

There was also a boxed kit, consisting of the AEC tractor unit, adaptor bogie, and one box van trailer.

Peco Catalogue 1968...

FF526CC4-6982-40D9-99C6-C72D9E6A35EB.jpeg.71ca46e9615088fd77c9414ef639e5cc.jpeg

Also, see this thread...

Even more strange...the photo on the current listing is included in the previous listing, but it has been turned upside down ! :scratchhead:

He's aiming at the Australian market?

• Funny 2