EBay madness

Marcyg

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313417319190

How is a rehash of an obsolete model with a face stuck on it worth £500? 

Some people clearly have far too much money it seems.

Because ebay?  Its the "one born every minute" shop.

also

• Limited Production of 1000.
  • Very rare & highly collectible.

or, as the more excitable vendors would say "L@@K RARE!!!"

By his standards, "Dart" is a bargain!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Because ebay?  Its the "one born every minute" shop.

also

• Limited Production of 1000.
  • Very rare & highly collectible.

or, as the more excitable vendors would say "L@@K RARE!!!"

By his standards, "Dart" is a bargain!

And don't forget: "FAST & FREE"!:dancer:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I wonder what - if anything - informs their pricing?

Look on eBay for similar item. Sort by "Highest price first".

Ignoring the fact that the most expensive has DCC, sound, lights, camera, action, open bar and full waitress service...

Or whatever the full list of toys is.

Then add a few quid.:D

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I wonder what - if anything - informs their pricing?

EBay pricing of railway models by dealers seems to resemble a game of 'Musical Chairs'? The 'mark up' price goes ever higher until 'the loser' is left with a model that is too expensive to sell to anyone? This final dealer is the mug who takes the loss?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

EBay pricing of railway models by dealers seems to resemble a game of 'Musical Chairs'? The 'mark up' price goes ever higher until 'the loser' is left with a model that is too expensive to sell to anyone? This final dealer is the mug who takes the loss?

That is bang on. You can substitute the word "Railway models" for absolutely anything else that people collect as an "investment".

I find that you can get around 25% above the going rate from investors. It pays to get in at the middle of the buying frenzy and not be too greedy.;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

I contacted this chancer a while back - strangely enough, this auction has been around for a while...

I politely pointed out that this wasn't a new model, in fact was quite an old one, certainly not DCC ready, and asking why he was charging more than for an actual brand new loco, DCC ready, with manufacturer's warranty?

Stangely enough, he didn't reply...

He also didn't reply when I sent him a second message late at night quite a while later, saying I saw that he still hadn't sold his loco, and then listed the sale prices of a half dozen identical items (all a minimum of £90 cheaper!) and suggesting that perhaps he should revise his price to a more sensible amount.

Maybe it was because I then asked him whether he was sticking to his price hoping to get some gullible buyer to pay two maybe three times its actual worth because he was an unscrupulous chancer?

My defence, m'lud, was that I was drunk in charge of an iPhone and his item was at the top of my watched list - again! :lol:

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

In my experience ( being "in the trade" sort of m'lud ) a lot of these tat sellers will just sit on items at silly prices on the off chance, because they don't actually need the money. The "antique" business is often a loss leader for tax purposes, or they are frightened of missing a quid. I know several who are multiple property owners, making a very good living from rentals, but they still have an antique and collectibles stall on the market, car boot and eBay.

You may be wasting your time, but it's still funny....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In my experience ( being "in the trade" sort of m'lud ) a lot of these tat sellers will just sit on items at silly prices on the off chance, because they don't actually need the money. The "antique" business is often a loss leader for tax purposes, or they are frightened of missing a quid. I know several who are multiple property owners, making a very good living from rentals, but they still have an antique and collectibles stall on the market, car boot and eBay.

You may be wasting your time, but it's still funny....

I once knew a builder who opened a carpet shop as a loss leader, 6 months later the carpet shop was going from strength to strength so he had to close it down!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Two Lima wagons

Only £2,799 plus postage the pair.

Misplaced decimal point perchance?

Cheers

Darius

Have you checked out sellers name and address....

U-NICK?...is that typo for R-NICKED?..if he sells good on him....poor fool who flicks on ebay and catches buy it now with little finger! oops

• Funny 3

That's possibly a case of someone listing a book who hasn't found out the going rate for it yet, so will amend it later. It seems to happen a lot at the moment.

That said, used copies of Iain Rice's books do seem to be fetching quite high sums lately.

• Like 4