EBay madness

@SteveyDee68

Wow....another HTTYD fan...:)

I am really ‘into’ the music too. It’s stirring stuff, inspiring, and good to listen to when out on a walk.

You are not the first to get Me and Tuff confused, believe me! :D

Though not identical twins (not possible, there is a big difference between us ;) ) we are fraternal twins...and there are, it seems, some similarities...but I’ve got the brains. :D

That’s one of the problems, sharing a womb, and everything since...everything is ours...almost nothing is purely mine...

It is no wonder that we fight. 

IMG_0522.PNG.391028171ac863d7cf0fccea9f24919d.PNG

I do appreciate the options, Miss Scarlet is a good match,

B2F2F139-4E55-4329-8708-D25B2B553B96.jpeg.561db602cd62d172e4fd3bcf2cbacfd8.jpeg

as is Cordelia Grey, going by the illustration on Wikipedia...

4CB0CA78-5380-4CA0-9E91-1FDAC4933FE5.gif.83072ff3f422cd9aa127bd896841950a.gif

Thank you and Paul...all very good. :)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added images
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1
12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Wow....another HTTYD fan...:)

I am really ‘into’ the music too. It’s stirring stuff, inspiring, and good to listen to when out on a walk.

Soundtrack nominated for an Oscar, but lost out to "The Social Network" (robbed, actually, as many, many musicians would agree!)

Being a nerdy musician, I managed to get hold of the original music cues for the film off the internet (don't ask me no questions, I won't tell you no lies!) so was fascinated to discover that the original opening music was different, and that other music was subtly reorganised to fit better with the film.

Of course, the biggest surprise was that there was no music there for Forbidden Friendship - when I arranged a selection of music, I had half a dozen percussionists available so absolutely had to include that, which meant notating it all down by ear from the recording! Now, I think that qualifies me as being a super fan of the HTTYD music by John Powell!

Read a couple of the original books by Cressida Crowell too, but have to admit that I prefer the Dreamworks version of the HTTYD world!

To bring this totally off-topic thread back to something resembling RMWeb normality, Hiccup's mechanical ingenuity must surely be able to spawn a HTTYD-inspired steampunk Gn15 layout with steam trains, Vikings and dragons?

Mind you, HTTYD merchandise can go for silly prices on eBay, too!

Phew! Got my post back on topic!!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typo - one I missed on proofreading!!
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hey! Give him a break! It's a long way to Snowdonia!

Hold it right there!!!

According to the BBC, the place is going to get the Uluru treatment so it may well be that in future you would have to say

It's a long way to Eryri

and of course, you would walk up Yr Wyddfa.

I can appreciate why some people would want name changes, but part of me wants to observe that linguistic tongue-twisters* are one way to sort out the locals from visitors...

Now back to normal service....

7 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

7 hours ago, 33C said:

It's a bit too clean........:P

6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Looks a bit filthy! It needs its Aunt, with a lick-moistened hanky, to clean it up a bit!?

30 minutes ago, MartynJPearson said:

In all fairness, it probably looks good from a distance. About a mile or so.

Looks like an engine room fire to me...

2 weeks in a dettol bath should sort it out!

* Let me lodge Pontcysyllte Aqueduct here for reference...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
1 hour ago, MartynJPearson said:

In all fairness, it probably looks good from a distance. About a mile or so.

Should clean up OK or could be improved on.  There's considerably worse "Professional Weathering" being sold on eBay where the seller seems to bill their time at about £900/hr.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
8 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

I am totally failing to see the treasure worth the bid price here.:sorry_mini:

I can only see one motorised loco, and two Kitmaster/ Airfix locos....

Is the little red one clockwork or electric? The other two are obviously CoT and Std 4 Mogul plastic kits.  Hornby is pushing it as a description, so much triang track and buildings.

Perhaps they think the steel track has some sort of scrap value? :scratchhead::jester:

The vendor has some other curiosities too.  East German uniform and Wehrmacht style sentry box...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

The red loco is, in theory, electric. Provided it still has its motor...

It still has the plug in smoke box door...so that’s quite rare.

These International locos have the R. Number as the running number...and were only ever made as electric models.

There were named versions too, such as Bulldog.

Not quite so widely liveried as the 101 type...

Here is a black version...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313502767216?hash=item48fe389870:g:uogAAOSwhqxggUsI

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added link to black loco
  • Informative/Useful 3

There seem to be a lot of these dusty barn/attic finds turning up lately (reflects a large proportion of the elderly section of society having passed on sadly) which seem to vary from the badly presented overly optimistically priced pile in a box to the cheap start few treasures amongst the scrap type of sales.

I am pretty much guessing a lot of these are being snapped up by so-called dealers who will part them out again into smaller lots at vastly inflated prices.

• Agree 8
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265129545125?hash=item3dbaf3cda5:g:PSYAAOSw-oZgZwF

I am totally failing to see the treasure worth the bid price here.:sorry_mini:

That's a [email protected] plain brown banana box on the right, only made for a short period of time when the factory ran out of green paint, so worth the bid on it's own.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

There seem to be a lot of these dusty barn/attic finds turning up lately (reflects a large proportion of the elderly section of society having passed on sadly) which seem to vary from the badly presented overly optimistically priced pile in a box to the cheap start few treasures amongst the scrap type of sales.

I am pretty much guessing a lot of these are being snapped up by so-called dealers who will part them out again into smaller lots at vastly inflated prices.

'Twas ever thus. 

When I used to buy big job lots to break up/sort out and sell on (and keep at least 25% for my own collection), there were always people who despite the listing clearly being an auction only, would ask "Do you have a Buy it Now price in mind?".  One guy had asked the same question on all my listings one week and appeared to have asked multiple other sellers the same question. 

I did wonder what part of "No, this is an auction, do you see the Buy-it-Now box?" he was struggling to understand.  He clearly just wanted to make people offers of £40 for lots worth £200 and hope people were rushed into selling.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3
2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353469335971?hash=item524c6a09a3:g:XcQAAOSwiWhgg-oV

This lot is better, though the presentation could be better...

A good start price too.  

So, not really madness here, unless the bids go crazy....;)

Trouble is, I'm still seeing items that I would expect to wade through in a '50p' box under a trader's table at a show?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its useful to know that it'll run slowly, and not take off like a scalded cat as the rest of its ilk are prone to do!

Curiously it seems that the seller is Nick Faldo, the golfer??

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's a [email protected] plain brown banana box on the right, only made for a short period of time when the factory ran out of green paint, so worth the bid on it's own.

Mike.

And don't forget: there are people who collect 'rare' boxes! :dancing:

• Agree 4
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

'Twas ever thus. 

When I used to buy big job lots to break up/sort out and sell on (and keep at least 25% for my own collection), there were always people who despite the listing clearly being an auction only, would ask "Do you have a Buy it Now price in mind?".  One guy had asked the same question on all my listings one week and appeared to have asked multiple other sellers the same question. 

I did wonder what part of "No, this is an auction, do you see the Buy-it-Now box?" he was struggling to understand.  He clearly just wanted to make people offers of £40 for lots worth £200 and hope people were rushed into selling.

I used to have the same problems with classic car parts. Always turned out to be dealers offering about a quarter of what the item eventually made.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

I used to have the same problems with classic car parts. Always turned out to be dealers offering about a quarter of what the item eventually made.

It's like a modern version of the Brighton Knockers?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its useful to know that it'll run slowly, and not take off like a scalded cat as the rest of its ilk are prone to do!

"PLEASE NOTE MISSING BOILER COVER", ah ha!