EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I looked up a book for another thread and the first one to show had an asking price of £129:50. There was also a paperback version at £2:99.

Just now, jonny777 said:

Goodness me. I might have to look at my bookshelves in a different light. 

Actually I have the book in question on my bookshelf. The highest price was for a first edition in mint condition. Mine is an early edition but the dust cover is tattered and torn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petethemole said:

There are currently only two copies that I can find online.  One is that one, also available through Amazon, Worldofbooks own site and Abebooks (at really silly money). There is one other (new) on Amazon Marketplace at 71.99.

The person bidding for this one might be in for a tidy profit....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384211434534?epid=97725021&hash=item5974c93c26:g:l08AAOSwFPxgv3nz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that my ebay search didn't get that one.  I've noticed this before when looking for comparative prices for a listing.  Doing a search from my My ebay pages and via Google, for instance, may pull up some different items.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I just noticed your signature - Rich. Still got my modelling L plates

Gave me a proper laugh that, until I realised that mine should probably read - Steve. Failed the modelling theory test twice already

:lol:

I plan to change it when I actually finish something.

So probably not this year, and next year's  not looking good either.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, jonny777 said:

This is bit steep...

https://tinyurl.com/39at92xu

I would not have thought the book was that rare. 

Having put the title into Google, this seems to be the cheapest of Amazon's options. Waterstones list it at 23.99 but haven't actually got it. So, if someone really wants it, at the moment that seems to be what it will cost. Whether anyone does actually want it that badly, of course, remains to be seen. Me, I'd be waiting to see if it turns up in Waterstones again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I plan to change it when I actually finish something.

So probably not this year, and next year's  not looking good either.

See you at the World Procrastinating Championships!  I was hoping for a medal this year, but the event's been deferred until 2022.  They're always doing that.....

• Funny 4

47 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

See you at the World Procrastinating Championships!  I was hoping for a medal this year, but the event's been deferred until 2022.  They're always doing that.....

A little like the Agrophobics Association of America (AAA) Annual Convention ... every year they book a great venue, fantastic meal, superb after dinner speaker, and every year nobody turns up ...

Hat, coat, door* ....

Steve S

* Unless a member of thr AAA that is

(No offense intended towards anybody suffering with that condition)

• Funny 7

52 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

You never see anybody at the World Camouflage Championships, though ...

Hat, coat, door ...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Nail on the head there - had an assessment not that long ago and it came back that I procrastinate a lot. I thought I was just gibbering a bit but turns out there's a medical term for gibbering over something.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

15 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Nail on the head there - had an assessment not that long ago and it came back that I procrastinate a lot. I thought I was just gibbering a bit but turns out there's a medical term for gibbering over something.

I had an "annual review" with an HR representative at work a while back. After a long, boring and pointless (other than to justify HR's existence) discussion I was asked, "Do you think any differently about yourself from last year?" I attempted to inject some humour into the situation and replied, "Well, last year I thought I was quite indecisive ... but now? Well, I'm not so sure."

(It's an old joke, everybody's heard it.)*

She nodded, and wrote it down, and suggested I did some training. Sense of humour, much?!

HR staff - you can't train someone to do the job, they have to hatch, fully formed, from beneath rocks, under the cover of darkness...

HOURS OF FUN!

* I had her again the following year. She asked the same question. I said, "I used to think I was a werewolf, but I'm alright nowooooooooooooo!" Not a flicker. "You're not taking this seriously, are you?" she asked. "That was rhetorical, wasn't it?" I replied. She just made another note. I don't think she knew what 'rhetorical' meant...

** I once also overheard a colleague (my mentor, an ex policeman) speaking with her - "Why won't you teach maths in the room assigned to you?" "Would you teach a maths class underneath a car ramp?" "It's not up to me to make that kind of decision, why are you asking me?" "Why are you asking me if you can't make a decision about whether it is safe to teach in such an environment?" "Why do you answer all my questions with a question?!" "So you recognise that I've answered your questions, then? Good. We're done here."  ... He was a legend, my seng sei :lol:

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Yep, this kind of sums up my experience of HR departments, although one company I worked for briefly they were very good.  They actually asked the right questions at an exit interview (being invited to one was a first for me) and genuinely listened to the answers.

In general, they do seem to target recruitment for HR departments at people who can follow instructions to the letter but are probably unable to work out that the form they cannot understand how to fill in, is upside down.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I retired I was not contacted by HR until two weeks after.

The person asked me to come in for an Exit Interview.

I asked if I would get paid for it, to which the answer was no.

I told them, not much point then and put the phone down.

I found out later that my exit interview was done over the phone, two weeks after I retired.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

When I retired on medical grounds from my last job, Royal Mail HR bless 'em, representing my employer in such matters, had tried to sack me on poor attendance grounds despite my illness.  The union, UCW, successfully fought for me to be medically retired; my pension was at stake.  The union's national rep was on the way down from London on the train when they decided to grant me the medical retirement;  I was due in the office for the final interview with the union rep accompanying me at 11.30 in the morning, and had been told I would be clearing my locker.  At 11.00 am a mail van turned up outside the door with a note from HR telling me not to attend, as a decision had been taken to grant me the retirement and the pension. 

They deliberately took a negotiation that had been going on for 6 months as they worked through their discipline process of warnings, final warnings and so on all the way down to the wire despite my increasing problems with depression and anxiety which their actions were making worse.  I have nothing but contempt for these scum, who very nearly killed me out of spite and a refusal to countenance the idea that they might be wrong.  Royal Mail (In)Human Resources; actually, not fair to call them scum as that is an insult to scum.  Not incompetent as some of the above examples, or failing to understand a problem, these were mendacious and vicious, completely uncaring that their actions were causing needless harm and suffering while being fully aware of it.  Faceless beauracracy, but personal, bullying, and vindictive at the same time. 

Thank goodness for the union!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I don't know much about GWR engines, there's not that much missing is there?

In close relation to the above, isn't just as close to building any one of the other GWR locomotives as the one it purports to be, based on the knowledge that all GWR engines look the same?

Mike.

• Funny 6