EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Not ebay madness but courier madness - I'm expecting three boxes via DHL today.

The tracking shows:

Swindon to Heathrow

Heathrow to Stansted (so about 25 miles from me)

Stansted to Docklands (Assume this means London Docklands (so about 30 miles from me)

They are now on the way from Docklands to Ipswich which will apparently be the delivery depot - presumably it will go along the A12 to do so, so will pass within 200 yards of me then have to turn round and come back. Can't see me getting them today, especially as the A12 is ruined at the moment!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 16/06/2021 at 09:01, Blandford1969 said:

This feels a bit odd writing this here but it has been bothering my anxiety since reading the comments about HR further up the thread. 

I've worked in HR all my career and there is another side. I'll give you some examples that maybe you might just give a little bit more thought to a different view. 

In one company I worked in the Production Director was an unpleasant man. He had lights outside his office red, do no enter, green enter. If he did not like what you said he would bang his fists on his desk and shout at you. More to the point disagreeing with him only got one result. He and and MD said they wanted someone sacking. I pointed out the legal reasons why they could not and what they would need to do. Suffice to say shortly afterwards 'I did not fit in' . The one good thing there was with any disciplinary the Shop Stewart and I would have had a 'boiler room chat' discussed the merits and he would help me to keep the manager on the right lines and in fairness both agreed on where we thought it should end up. He wanted to see fair play too. 

In that same firm another Director did not think one of their managers was performing and again was making their live uncomfortable, whilst still being friends with them on Facebook. As all of this was behind doors I could not say anything to the person, which did not sit well with me and felt like being two faced. 

I moved to another company and things were good for quite a few years. Some places did what they wanted and then conveniently said 'HR had told them' even though they had never spoken to or emailed me! 

Things were fine till a new manager arrived who then did not like that I had supported an employee in a disciplinary who said they had depression. That resulted in a complaint and me being taken out of that job.  Now I just get micro managed at times. 

We are 'used' as excuses sometimes by managers who want an easy way out. I don't miss doing HR and the politics that goes with it and which can be exhausting. You are expected to do the company's bidding and just get on with it, all the time of course there is no one you can talk to. 

So please give some slack not all are bad.  All I know is whilst having written this has set my anxiety off in relation to some of the things in the past both near and far at least I have given a different side.

Now back to madness 

Having worked on both sides of the fence I have to say that people who dislike HR for spurious reasons (ie not because of the horrific experience with Royal Mail highlighted above, for example) tend to be either bullies or difficult employees.  Take the “werewolf” comment, so disrespectful and unprofessional it’s untrue, but no doubt the employee thought they were being “hilarious”…….

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Not ebay madness but courier madness - I'm expecting three boxes via DHL today.

The tracking shows:

Swindon to Heathrow

Heathrow to Stansted (so about 25 miles from me)

Stansted to Docklands (Assume this means London Docklands (so about 30 miles from me)

They are now on the way from Docklands to Ipswich which will apparently be the delivery depot - presumably it will go along the A12 to do so, so will pass within 200 yards of me then have to turn round and come back. Can't see me getting them today, especially as the A12 is ruined at the moment!

Shock horror no delivery today.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's because it's on it's way back to Swindon!

Mike.

Not far off - it went from Docklands to East Midlands!

It's now at Ipswich. Wonder where next... Hopefully me. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Oh heck, I was only joking!

Mike.

To bring the saga to a close, they were delivered about 2pm. Hallelujah! It was stuff for work and valued in the thousands so was rather nervous of them disappearing or getting damaged.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/06/2021 at 14:30, russell price said:

As the current high bidder, I have a KS 6300 minus its cylinders!! Good old GWR standardisation means that it this comes in at or less than my top bidi will be happy!! Maybe not quite madness as I’ll have another complete loco for next to nothing!! 

Well someone wanted them more than me!! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, Esmedune said:

Will you PLEASE get dressed before taking your item photos??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194205409654

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Reminds me of the bloke who was wanting to sell a highly polished electric kettle on ebay, and took a snap whilst naked.  The magnifying properties of the convex surface were not exactly flattering...

I'm not going to look for it, and I hope no-one else will either!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Esmedune said:

Will you PLEASE get dressed before taking your item photos??
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194205409654

Oh, I see now...:D

I was distracted by the two early 1958 Pullman Cars in the photos...Ruth and Anne.

Ruth has a grey painted roof.

Jane has lost two sets of wheels/ axles!

Condition “used”.  Not exactly the most detailed description, again! ;)

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

You see, to me that is obsolete inaccurate rubbish and would at best value it at a tenner for parts.  I will never understand collectors.

• Agree 5

Left over loco's from train sets, reboxed, hence the paper label on the end. Lovely looking thing though! (And will still run in another 40 years!)

• Like 3

Now that just proves that I’m tired! :o

Yes, the tender should be plain black, with a printed “gold” early type emblem!

So at least the tender top is wrong, and as the sound fitted tenders had a modified coal space under the coal load to clear the sound box, and the tender chassis was also modified, (the sound fitted tender top fixing screw goes in from under the chassis, the older tender top screw is down through the coal space.) it very likely is the whole tender is wrong.

The description mentions the lack of the sound box. 
The lack of underside photos of the loco and tender means that it is not possible to say if the tender chassis is the modified sound version...

So, quite possibly an inaccurate description.

Triang Hornby Princess Victoria track tested, pulling coaches, in good working order

With instructions date stamped 17.05.1974.

Original packaging, yellow plastic tray, box base, grey cardboard sleeve all in good condition.

Loco & Tender in gloss black finish with good crisp decals, see photos.

The Exhaust Steam Sound, (blue sticker on tray), has been removed from the tender.

Otherwise all original loco in near pristine condition.

It is a very good example of the earlier tender though.

The last R.50 black Princess models before the 1974 R.050 locos were made in 1962, with solid sintered iron driving wheels.

I have seen 1974 locos in Tri-ang  Hornby boxes.

In fact, we have one, and also I seem to recall that we have one in an early style Hornby Railways box.

Remember that older boxes continued to be used until they ran out.

Possibly some packers had newer boxes to hand?

The printed paper label was the type in use at the time...nothing wrong with that.

The black loco was the only one to appear as a solo release in the Hornby Railways catalogue. As well as in a set with red and cream Mk 1 coaches.

The green version, R,053, and the maroon version, R.258(?) were I believe only sold via Mail order catalogues.

This one has the right tender, and is in the early style Hornby Railways box.

4C99CFCE-172A-486D-B20A-41BAA271A060.jpeg.bc0c784c7e84ac09e770a285a4c203d0.jpeg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324256882329?

More information here.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=136

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added description...and info of another one
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

You see, to me that is obsolete inaccurate rubbish and would at best value it at a tenner for parts.  I will never understand collectors.

It's the same way with everything. There are people who hunt down and pay a fortune for 1960s and 70s Japanese motorcycle tyres for their vintage bikes. They usually turn up in the loft of old dealerships because they were taken off when the bikes were brand new and substituted for British, French or German tyres that weren't like glass.

The bike then becomes "factory mint", but it will be unrideable and it's your funeral if you do.

Literally.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2