EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, G-DIMB said:

Its been 24 hours and no eBay madness? How can this possibly be!

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Football?

Not here either, housebuying.

However, at present that may as well be "ebay madness" TOO!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

“Speedy”

The mystery is that people are bidding on this.

There is a charitable aspect as 50% of the “profits” over £50 will be donated to a charity of the winning bidder’s choice.

Does this mean that the seller will make a loss if it fetches less than £50?

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 1

12 hours ago, Darius43 said:

“Speedy”

There is a charitable aspect as 50% of the “profits” over £50 will be donated to a charity of the winning bidder’s choice.

Cheers

Darius

It would be marginally less horrible if it was in actual RTC livery! 

I love whimsy but would rather build it myself. Maybe I should if they fetch over £50!

Edited by ianmacc
  • Funny 4

15 hours ago, Darius43 said:

“Speedy”

Cheers

Darius

This seller is a regular on the facebook selling groups and so far i haven't seen it turn up there. Indeed its odd one this as what happens if it sells for £49? If hes happy to give 50% of £50 means he wants £25 for it himself so surely anything over £25 should be for charity? OR have i missed something......(which is completely possible).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

This seller is a regular on the facebook selling groups and so far i haven't seen it turn up there. Indeed its odd one this as what happens if it sells for £49? If hes happy to give 50% of £50 means he wants £25 for it himself so surely anything over £25 should be for charity? OR have i missed something......(which is completely possible).

My reading of the profit donation is that half of any excess over £50 would be donated, so that if it made £51, 50p would be donated to charity.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Darius43 said:

My reading of the profit donation is that half of any excess over £50 would be donated, so that if it made £51, 50p would be donated to charity.

Cheers

Darius

You see i told you i was missing something!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2021 at 11:29, topnoddy said:

My take on it all is if you are not the original owner of an item then it's second hand . How this seller can say it's"brand new" but then goes on to say it's been used is beyond me . I'm sure he's not the only one doing it , buyer beware and all that . I've seen plenty of wagons and coaches that are used  on there for sale at more than they can still be bought for new from a shop 

My dictionary app defines ‘brand new’ as ‘entirely new‘, ‘entirely’ being defined as ‘wholly, fully, completely or unreservedly’, or ‘solely or exclusively’.  So, an item that has been used cannot be described as brand new, but we are starting to wander into the grey and murky world of semantics, as we don’t know if ‘used’ in this instance is being incorrectly used as a term simply meaning secondhand, which happens a lot.  If I buy a ‘used’ item that is described by the vendor as being in ‘brand new’ condition (which is not quite the same as claiming it to be brand new or never used, merely that it is in a comparable condition) but that would have been better described as secondhand or pre-owned, it might still be entirely new in the sense of never having been used. 

I’ve seen plenty of ‘used’ items for sale on ‘Bay that are not only more expensive than can be obtained new in the shops, they are more expensive than the manufactures’ RRP, whilst being easily obtainable and not at all rare.  Caveat Emptor; perhaps paying over the odds in this way is best regarded as a tax on stupidity…

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I've done similar - when I sold a Heljan Cl15 I put in the listing that 10% after fees would go to the Class 15 preservation society. Which I did and sent the receipt to the winning bidder (not sure if they were particularly interested mind!).

I did mention to the society they should join the ebay charity thing then I can put them as a beneficiary officially.

A few times I've put 10% to the owners of Sir Nigel Gresley - and you get reduced fees as a result (this was pre-ditching paypal and it's done through paypal so not sure if there's a new arrangement).

• Informative/Useful 3

21 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

Let’s just hope it’s one of the non dried ones eh? Wonder if I’d get a discount for two… ? 

I came across a load of old humbrol paints recently. After my amazement that they were still usable I was amazed further by how easily they covered compared to the new product. And they smelt amazing !!   

like the smell of a warm triang or Hornby ringfield motor it took me straight back to childhood!! 

Edited by ianmacc
Added para
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

I came across a load of old humbrol paints recently. After my amazement that they were still usable I was amazed further by how easily they covered compared to the new product. And they smelt amazing !!  

Smelt, as in smell? Or smelt, as in charging in a blast furnace?? :dancer:

• Funny 4

1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Smelt, as in smell? Or smelt, as in charging in a blast furnace?? :dancer:

Never mind what I get up to in the privacy of my garage!! 

I just double checked and smelt is an acceptable past tense of smell. But the Americans prefer smelled.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The old Humbrol was decent stuff, full of gawd knows what in the nasty chemicals department but, alas legislation has stripped it of the very things that made it good paint.

The modern version is just awful.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, John M Upton said:

The old Humbrol was decent stuff, full of gawd knows what in the nasty chemicals department but, alas legislation has stripped it of the very things that made it good paint.

The modern version is just awful.

Perhaps 28 pounds is not so bad after all? Lol

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

This lot of old paint has been listed repeatedly for some time and with Royal Mail postage too which is a big no no... :nono:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124785538067?hash=item1d0dcc3413:g:L1UAAOSwPQZgpCMi

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Airfix paint originally came in jars. I have one. and some Humbrol of very early '60s vintage.  Should I order the classic car of my dreams yet?

I’ve got a few hundred old enamels here - I’m after a ‘66 Gretsch Viking or maybe a Rickenbacker 370/12 or maybe that trip to Guadeloupe I’ve been thinking about… now I finally can!

Presumably I’ll have to hire a fleet of tiny rare trained delivery voles to justify the postage 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2