EBay madness

Marcyg

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

It might be a method ebay uses to track searches and work out what the user likes to search for and perhaps buy, circumventing cookies. 

I've taken to opening a private window in Firefox and examining such links from there.  If you want to share a link, you can then open a fresh ebay screen in a new tab in the private window, search for the title of the listing and open it, with a much shorter link, that can then be copied across to your main window and paste it into your RMweb post.  Closing the private window then disposes of any cookies, etc.

Paranoid?  Moi???  :jester:

I vow to make my links 85%, 75%, 50%, 25%,  a bit shorter 

NL

• Funny 8

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

R.480 is the code for a double length Super 4 straight, and thats what it says on the box end.  Where the "catenary" description comes from is anyones guess.  Maybe the seller is confused?

Or on something.....

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

I vow to make my links 85%, 75%, 50%, 25%,  a bit shorter 

NL

Most EBay links can be edited down to the ? as in this example…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144111965098?hash=item218dbe13aa:g:h90AAOSwxbBg7WJB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144111965098?

;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RFS said:

Saw this item  by chance on Ebay today.  Despite the glaring spelling error, 7 have been sold already!

You can't have pastries without a T(ea)

• Funny 6

Maybe it’s a deliberate mistake…

Some shops had notices outside with deliberate errors…

As a way of getting people to enter the premises to tell the shopkeeper of the error.

Also see at least one episode of Open All Hours…;)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Obviously got a job lot of photos to sell and minimising the work in selling them separately at a fiver a time by copying boilerplate from one listing to the next without checking very much

A job lot for which he paid about 50p each, I suspect. 

Not a bad mark-up. Harrods would be proud. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 16/07/2021 at 07:37, Hroth said:

Probably just someone flogging off a batch of manufacturing errors?

Being ebay, they'll get the price they want and no one (apart from us) will notice!

I note the photo has been updated already with a photo shopped word popped over the top!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

I note the photo has been updated already with a photo shopped word popped over the top!

If you look closely, you can still see parts of the old "P" to the left of the replacement. The rest of the notice is monospaced, the replacement word is kerned, and he could have done the replacement in the same typeface...

The Ghost "P"          1782699415_TheGhostP.jpg.60fc86fd1f54c34cce2a2a53e59f1396.jpg

The "A" from Bread 1510106854_Afrombread.jpg.624d9779d57fd9741014a071dc1c1290.jpg

The A from Pastries 1792276566_AfromPastries.jpg.d5a1195c12da395181cd7f6b268a5af2.jpg

A rubbish and inept job.

I rest my case, m'lud....

Edited by Hroth
Extras...
  • Like 5

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124816196311?hash=item1d0fa002d7:g:e3cAAOSw1A5g9H7y

Claimed to be Ratio EM track bases at '18.83mm' gauge

There is also this - Alan Gibson branded EM track bases - but described as C&L: Contents appear to include lots of small pieces.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124805284606?hash=item1d0ef982fe:g:vPIAAOSwpNtgaED2

Both listings look dodgy - but could these be genuine EM products, lost in the mists of time?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This guy has a lot of packed model railway items for sale. Vast majority of feedback good, no negatives. Clearing out a closed model shop or somebody's estate as they never got to do much modelling?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Has anyone else seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124816196311?hash=item1d0fa002d7:g:e3cAAOSw1A5g9H7y

Claimed to be Ratio EM track bases at '18.83mm' gauge

There is also this - Alan Gibson branded EM track bases - but described as C&L: Contents appear to include lots of small pieces.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124805284606?hash=item1d0ef982fe:g:vPIAAOSwpNtgaED2

Both listings look dodgy - but could these be genuine EM products, lost in the mists of time?

He's a  very competent EM modeller, who regularly contributes on here, and is a thoroughly good bloke.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Proper eBay madness (to me) again, courtesy of our old friend Go$tude …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-305637-WEATHERED-RE-PAINTED-RAKE-of-2-YEOMAN-PROCOR-HOPPER-PCA-WAGON-1nz-/333933848043?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Thing is, I can get a brand new super detailed (and I mean super, super detailed) Cavalex Models PGA hopper wagon for £32.50 BIN, so Go$tude’s Lima wagons (“professionally repainted”) work out at £32.25 each …

For an extra £0.25, I know which model I would be buying!!

Steve S

PS

In double checking, I discovered that he has not one but two auctions of a pair of Lima PGA hopper wagons!

Elsewhere, Lima PGA hoppers sell for (approx max) £15 a pop!

Do we admire Go$tude’s temerity?

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I think I admire his entertainment value.

I've just wasted half an hour looking at his online shop, and am struck by the inconsistency.  Some items seem almost reasonable, others a bit insane, and some of the descriptions are, um, interesting...  I have to respect his committment to the cause, whatever the cause is, his wallet presumably, though; listing that amount of stuff is a lot of work, especially as some of the madder attempts are probably never going to sell.  Or is it what he thinks is clever marketing; items at inflated prices to make other items at less inflated (but still inflated) prices look like bargains, come on suckers, take the bait...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The longer I leave this the more embarrassing it will become, but I did buy a Roco ferry wagon from him a couple of years ago. I paid him the £28 he wanted, most UK dealers would have asked barely half this but I had been looking for ages and never found one. It turned up in perfect condition, it was advertised as used but it looked like it had only been taken out of its box for photographs, never run on a layout.

So - I got my wagon, and a tidy example too, but this would be a bad habit to get into. It would spoil the hobby for me and I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe he is shrewd enough to know, a woman buys two things at half price because they are a bargain. A man buys one thing at double price because he wants it. And most of his model train buyers are men.

- Richard.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3