EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Can't remember if these have been on here before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194231474568?hash=item2d39191988:g:XeAAAOSwPOtg5aB9

£80 for two steam loco bodies on obviously diesel chassis and possibly the two worst-painted models I have ever seen, anywhere.  Did they just dip them in the tin?

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

£80 for two steam loco bodies on obviously diesel chassis and possibly the two worst-painted models I have ever seen, anywhere.  Did they just dip them in the tin?

Looks more like they soaked the loco bodies in plastic solvent.

Not what I would have expected from Rails - and I can't help wondering why they bought them in the first place.  Perhaps somebody thought the mechs are OK

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Yep, they've been noticed before - at that price it's not surprising that they're still around, though with the current ebay 10% off offer they're a few quid cheaper...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Northmoor said:

That's not eBay madness - I think whoever prices up second hand items for RoS needs help (as in the bumps on their head feeling!)

To put it into context (but not eBay related), I purchased a brand new Oxford Rail Adams Radial tank loco* on Sunday from a Toy & Train Fair dealer for the same price that RoS are asking for one of those atrocities!!

Steve S

* I have no need of one, but how can one resist at that bargain price?!

• Like 3

On 15/08/2021 at 18:03, Esmedune said:

I often see this persons work for sale on eBay, and I often think they have anger management issues...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294320705564?hash=item4486e1901c:g:9QIAAOSwkFVhEUZx

It must have been a hot fire, as the Pullmans those Triang models were (vaguely) based on were all steel. 

On 15/08/2021 at 19:17, Northmoor said:

They're getting better over time, which you'd hope as they've been selling these sort of items for at least five years. 

They used to do scrap locos complete with nameplates, a tender-full of coal and some rusty paint wash thrown at them.  The diesels now have sections cut out and engines fitted, while the coal isn't removed from the tenders, at least they have been sheeted over to hide it.

Still expensive for what they are though and I think a scrap "Rocket" is stretching credibility.

ISTR they did a 'scrap yard condition' Caledonian single, a loco that went straight from service to a museum. I think i once saw a photo of the real one in LMS livery where it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a couple of days, which is probably the worst state it ever got into.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Are they cakes on wheels?

• Funny 4

3 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

It must have been a hot fire, as the Pullmans those Triang models were (vaguely) based on were all steel. 

ISTR they did a 'scrap yard condition' Caledonian single, a loco that went straight from service to a museum. I think i once saw a photo of the real one in LMS livery where it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a couple of days, which is probably the worst state it ever got into.  

The Caley Single would probably be the GBL, Great British Locomotives Collection, display model, inspired by the Tri-ang Railways model.

Many of these distressed models originate from GBL models…

A reasonably priced, originally, part work series of OO gauge locomotive models, all inspired by RTR models by various manufacturers.

This long thread covers the subject pretty well. With some examples of these models being used too.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2021 at 13:04, 47137 said:

Well I think, on this case "madness" has spilled over into "genius". The workmanship is just as neat inside as outside, the builder even painted the ballast weight. They have even added styrene pads to hold the body onto its new chassis, I would have never thought of this but now it looks so obvious. A lot of imagination and attention to detail here:

DSCF1798.jpg.e593d006e73c78cc2ad035b2bd9a4ace.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg.4115967dedf84cb47f6d3015dc373c6a.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg.cafdc38977a5ccc5da5a8eb50c3be737.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg.74e89b9a1c31d24db38e7535e74c74bf.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg.182c4bfc421ccb1e208d9245813a8573.jpg

I didn't expect to use this topic to find things to buy! I haven't tried running it yet, but if it is a bit flaky then the power plant is plentiful secondhand.

- Richard.

I really like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I really like that.

It had a run for an hour or so on a mate's roundy-roundy this afternoon. The performance is typical Lima and it looked really nice with a rake of Mk1's. The proportions are good. I want to upgrade it with a modern chassis (Hornby 73) and DCC, and will post it to your Pugbashes topic when it is ready.

- Richard.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Part of “The Gostude Collection at Rails”.

Cheers

Darius

To be fair to the Gosling, even he wouldn't be deluded enough to put these things up at such a price, or at all.  There seems no rationale at all to this listing, RoS are generally up to speed with things and it is the more amazing that they have polluted our eBay browsing experience with these, um, I actually don't really know how to describe them.  They are complete failures even as the crudest imaginable toy, and one would not be assured in an assumption that, having been made with such disregard to any standards of presentation at all, never mind plausibility as models, they would even run properly and be worth buying as power bogies.  No wonder they haven't sold!

I presume Rails bought them for a bet, which they lost...

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That depends - the bet could depend on the number of entries generated in RMWeb's 'Ebay Madness' thread.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

To be fair to the Gosling, even he wouldn't be deluded enough to put these things up at such a price, or at all.  There seems no rationale at all to this listing, RoS are generally up to speed with things and it is the more amazing that they have polluted our eBay browsing experience with these, um, I actually don't really know how to describe them.  They are complete failures even as the crudest imaginable toy, and one would not be assured in an assumption that, having been made with such disregard to any standards of presentation at all, never mind plausibility as models, they would even run properly and be worth buying as power bogies.  No wonder they haven't sold!

Surely it can't do their credibility any good...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

This is slightly different to the usual e-bay madness, 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333445126554

why put an item for sale and place a picture that shows all the article?

Interesting.  The seller has a great many obscure newspaper clippings, each one on offer for the bargain price of £5.  If you look at his high feedback rating, they do sell to happy buyers.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

On 12/08/2021 at 17:16, John M Upton said:

Agreed! Just stumbled upon this again whilst perusing eBay and I think it has a certain "Bulleidness" look to it. I've got three very nice Heljan class 33s which really do make my old Lima class 33 model* redundant, so maybe I'll take inspiration from this and have a go at turning it into a "Baby Bulleid"! It'll work out a lot cheaper than the £70 asked for here (especially if I keep the original Bo-Bo chassis!)

Steve S

* Checking my records, picked up off eBay for a hair-raising £23 plus p&p :lol:

• Like 2

Offered £1, as it is an un-prototypical pile.

Awaiting negative reply.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Agreed! Just stumbled upon this again whilst perusing eBay and I think it has a certain "Bulleidness" look to it. I've got three very nice Heljan class 33s which really do make my old Lima class 33 model* redundant, so maybe I'll take inspiration from this and have a go at turning it into a "Baby Bulleid"! It'll work out a lot cheaper than the £70 asked for here (especially if I keep the original Bo-Bo chassis!)

Steve S

* Checking my records, picked up off eBay for a hair-raising £23 plus p&p :lol:

1 hour ago, andytrains said:

Offered £1, as it is an un-prototypical pile.

Awaiting negative reply.

The whole point is that its a "whatif" bodged up out of bits, but its got potential, especially if it was in anything else than silver.  In BTC black, or tricked up in the liveries that 10000/1 appeared in after their stint in black, it would look interesting.  There would have to be a spot of research to see what numbering would be plausible.

I've got a retired Hornby class 33, something else to go on the perhaps list....

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, rab said:

Hmmm

Nigel Farash Domrey & Sons in the title.

Graham Farish n gauge Domrey & Son in the description.

Of course its Dombey and Son I've never read it, I wonder if Dombeys business was situated in Shoreditch?

Either the vendor can't read the wagon side, or hasn't heard of the book. Both perhaps?

• Like 2