EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Selling stuff on the 'Bay brings out the desire in the seller to get the best possible price for his thing he is selling. which we will call the 'item' for the purposes of this discussion.  In order to maximise the selling price, he/she attempts to create an impression for the buyer's 'information' of the quality and condition of the item, but is restrained by the trades descriptions legislation from being overly enthusiastic in his inventiveness, which we will call 'lying through his/her mendacious dishonest rotten false teeth' for the purposes of this discussion. 

So, he/she describes the item in terms that big up it's quality and condition, and tries to create an impression that he/she/the item's previous owner looked after it as if it was the formula for the cure for the common cold and written on micron thin porcelain. 

... so can I interest you in any of the unwanted stuff I've currently got on ebay?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... so can I interest you in any of the unwanted stuff I've currently got on ebay?

Is it all in perfect boxes?

Actually, depends on a) if they are things I want, b) if they are cheap, and c) most importantly, they are BIN; my life is too short for auctions which I do not stand any predictable chance of 'winning' anyway.

So, BIN or offer locos and rolling stock relevant to South Wales Valleys, specifically the Tondu Valleys, in the 1948-58 period, no goods stock with moulded handbrake levers, and I'm pretty well sorted for 4575s, 57xx/8750, 56xx, and mineral wagons.  Always room for Airfix B sets  and A30s as chassis, auto trailer buffer, or bogie donors, but they have to be cheap, body damage not a deal breaker.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, andytrains said:

With a description written by the Policeman off Allo Allo!

Scroll through the £ notes to the end... that is some way out looking Royal Mail van ... did it escape from Captain Scarlett 

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Scroll through the £ notes to the end... that is some way out looking Royal Mail van ... did it escape from Captain Scarlett 

I see what you mean, it looks like the mutant offspring of a London bus and a Transit....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 31/10/2021 at 19:45, MrWolf said:

Remember this? I bought it for the opening bid. I think that @ianmaccwould agree that an allegedly working 0-6-0 chassis for under a tenner is a result. A Tri-ang Jinty chassis fetches at least that.

I've got it for a bit of an experiment and in the interest of not contributing to landfill, I'll probably put the body back on eBay if only to give us all a cheap laugh! :sarcastichand:

Spoke too soon, I have been out in the yard in full view of the street working on a bike all day. I have received a message from eBay telling me that this has been delivered.

No, it hasn't.

If I start an item not received case, eBay have already told me that if I open an item not delivered case,, they will find in favour of the seller as they have "proof" that it was delivered. 

Instead, I have to go to Hermes and prove that I don't have it. 

How, if you can even get through to Hermes do you prove that you don't have something? 

What happens is they send you a GPS ping that shows their driver near your address. End of.

So, if you want to keep your money, or receive your goods, NEVER buy from anyone who uses eBay Pack link, it's a cover for Hermes. They even managed to lose a £400 motorcycle gearbox, which isn't exactly small or light.

Check the small print or email the seller asking them to send royal mail.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Spoke too soon, I have been out in the yard in full view of the street working on a bike all day. I have received a message from eBay telling me that this has been delivered.

No, it hasn't.

If I start an item not received case, eBay have already told me that if I open an item not delivered case,, they will find in favour of the seller as they have "proof" that it was delivered. 

How, if you can even get through to Hermes do you prove that you don't have something? 

What happens is they send you a GPS ping that shows their driver near your address. End of.

So, if you want to keep your money, or receive your goods, NEVER buy from anyone who uses eBay Pack link, it's a cover for Hermes. They even managed to lose a £400 motorcycle gearbox, which isn't exactly small or light.

I'm a amazed Hermes are still in business considering their reputation, but since most people choose the cheapest delivery they have no motivation to conduct their business properly.  Wasn't it them who were found to be selling undelivered parcels at auction, when the customers  of those parcels still had unresolved complaints of non-delivery of those same parcels?

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

I'm a amazed Hermes are still in business considering their reputation, but since most people choose the cheapest delivery they have no motivation to conduct their business properly.  Wasn't it them who were found to be selling undelivered parcels at auction, when the customers  of those parcels still had unresolved complaints of non-delivery of those same parcels?

It's more because eBay encourage sellers to use their  Pack link postal service, which in theory, is ideal for anyone who has a lot of parcels to ship out. Simply print out the address label and pay the fee. A great idea in fact.

Where it falls on it's ass is the courier service. 

I have to add that this seller got straight on to Hermes (unlike recipients, the sender can contact Hermes quite easily.) and gave them what for. 

They sent him a picture of the parcel being dropped behind the neighbors dustbin. Right under the drain pipe for the house roof.

So I've recovered it, a little wet but intact. I have thanked the seller and given him the heads up about the £400 gearbox that disappeared forever and the £130 mudguard that took a week to find.

So full marks to retrodesirables for being truly on the ball.

And a big; Stop eating crayons! to Hermes.

PS The loco does look as bad as I thought, but the chassis is absolutely fine.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It's more because eBay encourage sellers to use their  Pack link postal service, which in theory, is ideal for anyone who has a lot of parcels to ship out. Simply print out the address label and pay the fee. A great idea in fact.

Where it falls on it's ass is the courier service. 

I have to add that this seller got straight on to Hermes (unlike recipients, the sender can contact Hermes quite easily.) and gave them what for. 

They sent him a picture of the parcel being dropped behind the neighbors dustbin. Right under the drain pipe for the house roof.

So I've recovered it, a little wet but intact. I have thanked the seller and given him the heads up about the £400 gearbox that disappeared forever and the £130 mudguard that took a week to find.

So full marks to retrodesirables for being truly on the ball.

And a big; Stop eating crayons! to Hermes.

PS The loco does look as bad as I thought, but the chassis is absolutely fine.

I’m glad that the seller was also very honourable and I think that based on (1) the cheap price and (2) their conduct they should be stripped of their negative status in this thread !

• Like 4

Indeed, he even said that if it had gone missing he would refund regardless of eBay.

He always used to use the post office, but found that when items went missing, the insurance wasn't worth a light.

What seems to be the real problem is that couriers sub out to a man and van (or car) to make the final delivery. They have X number of parcels to deliver in a day. It would appear that anything that they cannot deliver today becomes added to the next days quota.

Fine if you get a conscientious driver on a simple route it seems.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's an enigma.

Title describes it as a Dapol Class B Esso Tanker wagon kit.  

What I see in the photo is a cut and shut body from a Dapol Kitmaster wagon, mounted on a vintage diecast Triang frame with pre-1958 couplings.

Scroll down and brand is shown as Triang.

Scroll down further to description and it says:- "Wrenn Railways OO Gauge W5039 Turquoise Tank Wagon 3300 Esso."

So is it Dapol or Triang or Wrenn? 

Can it be called a kit when it is already built?   "Kit built" might be a better description.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265110285012?hash=item3db9cdead4:g:794AAOSwwk5gZ6WK

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Here's an enigma.

Title describes it as a Dapol Class B Esso Tanker wagon kit.  

What I see in the photo is a cut and shut body from a Dapol Kitmaster wagon, mounted on a vintage diecast Triang frame with pre-1958 couplings.

Scroll down and brand is shown as Triang.

Scroll down further to description and it says:- "Wrenn Railways OO Gauge W5039 Turquoise Tank Wagon 3300 Esso."

So is it Dapol or Triang or Wrenn? 

Can it be called a kit when it is already built?   "Kit built" might be a better description.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265110285012?hash=item3db9cdead4:g:794AAOSwwk5gZ6WK

It looks 100 percent triang from the images…

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

That is unmistakeably a Triang chassis with the old mark 2 couplings and open ended axleboxes - dreadful things, but I suppose it was state of the art 70 years ago.

The body does look like an afterthought, with transfers clearly from an Airfix/Dapol kit.  A Dapol or Wrenn tank would have had to be cut and shut to fit that chassis, but if that's the case here it has been done remarkably well.  I am wondering whether it is from some other tank wagon, maybe from a later Triang plastic chassis or perhaps even an HO continental model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That is unmistakeably a Triang chassis with the old mark 2 couplings and open ended axleboxes - dreadful things, but I suppose it was state of the art 70 years ago.

The body does look like an afterthought, with transfers clearly from an Airfix/Dapol kit.  A Dapol or Wrenn tank would have had to be cut and shut to fit that chassis, but if that's the case here it has been done remarkably well.  I am wondering whether it is from some other tank wagon, maybe from a later Triang plastic chassis or perhaps even an HO continental model.

Early Triang tanks were made up from 3 sections, that'a all Triang except the transfers.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No, it hasn't.

I recently had an issue with a Hermes (non) delivered parcel from a Mike Ashley owned business (the worst possible combination those two) paid for through Ebay. After raising a case and then sending a couple of factual, firm yet polite emails, Hermes admitted it was 'delivered in a non compliant manner,' and I was issued with a refund. I was quite shocked. So, don't give up yet.

I suspect they photo every parcel they leave. Mine was only £30 however. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I recently had a parcel "delivered" - oh no it wasn't.  The tracking photo showed a white front door - mine's blue....

The seller chased up Hermes - who admitted it was delivered to an address 2.7Km away.  The seller sent a replacement - and that was stuffed between the wheelie bin, the front hedge and a rose bush - with no card thru' the door either.

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Early Triang tanks were made up from 3 sections, that'a all Triang except the transfers.

Yes, made from Cellulose Acetate plastic.

It looks like the original black fuel oil tank wagon.

The first issues of the Tri-ang tank wagons used transfers, which don’t stay on the CA plastic very well.

So, not a bad idea to use the transfers from an Airfix (probably) kit…

Later issues were heat printed.

The Polystyrene plastic tank wagons have the tank as a one piece tube, with one end, with the other end and the filler cap as separate mouldings, clipped into place.

This is a pre 1959 version…

8903B751-B784-4357-893B-4B17471D0F4F.jpeg.23ab911249d9dc53bc469fed0e26f853.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I recently had a parcel "delivered" - oh no it wasn't.  The tracking photo showed a white front door - mine's blue....

The seller chased up Hermes - who admitted it was delivered to an address 2.7Km away.  The seller sent a replacement - and that was stuffed between the wheelie bin, the front hedge and a rose bush - with no card thru' the door either.

My heart always sinks when it transpires that a seller has selected Herpes as their courier of choice. Bridgend, in this part of the world, appears to be the weakest link?

Christmas 2020, I was supposed to receive a plastic, garden greenhouse as an Xmas gift. Sent via Herpes, it was tracked to the Bridgend Hub - where it disappeared in a puff of smoke!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Friendly/supportive 5

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've got some aluminium French Francs dating from the second world war.

And they're worth......

**** all... :sarcastichand:

Snap!

I've a couple of kilos of obsolete currency from all over the world, from China to Chile, no idea how I've accumulated the stuff at all... :scratchhead:

I suppose I could use it as ballast in rolling stock...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2