EBay madness

Marcyg

On 23/11/2021 at 17:39, MartynJPearson said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373799825095?hash=item570834aec7:g:Ba8AAOSwuW9hmnf6

Should have described it as rare, I doubt many people would try to sell it in that state!

This gets even sillier if that were possible once you leave the UK! Perhaps I will be able to afford such a treasure when I'm rich and famous!!!

Screenshot from 2021-11-24 17-53-22.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393701092924?hash=item5baa69ee3c%3Ag%3AXYYAAOSw2S1hkRLR&LH_BIN=1

In the words of the song by the Late Great Johnny Burnette

'' Dreamin', I'm only dreamin', til my dreams come true''

Oh no I've got another one of them ear worm doings now:lol:

Regards Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393701092924?hash=item5baa69ee3c%3Ag%3AXYYAAOSw2S1hkRLR&LH_BIN=1

In the words of the song by the Late Great Johnny Burnette

'' Dreamin', I'm only dreamin', til my dreams come true''

Oh no I've got another one of them ear worm doings now:lol:

Regards Rich

I like that in the description they are "thought to date from the middle of the twentieth century".

Like me, then!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I like that in the description they are "thought to date from the middle of the twentieth century".

Like me, then!

Same here :D

Seems to specialize in pens and pencils...

We had propelling pencils at school.... when thrown went far or are these different 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Wow, an opportunity to own, um, stuff for landfill?

There are also people who collect trains.... I am currently collecting £10.00 notes trying to get a full set of current one - any unwanted one please send to me to look after :D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I may be doing them a disservice, but my general impression is that collectors are not as a rule the sort of people who re-assemble things, and while these bogies may be of interest to those who 'restore' old tat and sell it to collectors, those people are sharp operators out to make a wee bobee, what the Irish call 'cute hoors', and aren't going to be interested at that price!

I date from the mid 20th century as well, and also collect banknotes.  I am more than happy to go swapsies for any £20 or higher denomination ones you have in note for note exchange for £10ers for yout collection...

• Funny 7

10 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Like me, then!

These are the BR BR1 type of bogie.

Quite a late issue going by the spring details.

Anyway, the Mk2b (Open Loop) couplings featured on these bogies were replaced by the Mk3 (Closed Loop)Tension Lock couplings from January 1959.

So these are probably late 1950s. ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

image.png.0974db31de138d3c5c6e4fd66bd2f541.png

I bought an Airfix autocoach in a joblot with a few wagons. At £10 including postage, it would probably be difficult to get one individually for the same money. It does have this unusual addition though. It's stuck on rather well and there are prominent glue marks both around here and where the previous owner has reattached the hand rails by the doors, so generous helpings were used. I think I'm probably better off leaving it as it is and saying that Oakhampstead wanted to run longer push-pull trains than the Swindon system allowed, and so experimentally rebuilt a few autocoaches with a different type of control system (no idea what) and gangways on one end, with some standard coaches converted to transmit the controls to the loco.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I may be doing them a disservice, but my general impression is that collectors are not as a rule the sort of people who re-assemble things, and while these bogies may be of interest to those who 'restore' old tat and sell it to collectors, those people are sharp operators out to make a wee bobee, what the Irish call 'cute hoors', and aren't going to be interested at that price!

I date from the mid 20th century as well, and also collect banknotes.  I am more than happy to go swapsies for any £20 or higher denomination ones you have in note for note exchange for £10ers for yout collection...

Are your £10ers 'Rare!' by any chance??

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

image.png.0974db31de138d3c5c6e4fd66bd2f541.png

I bought an Airfix autocoach in a joblot with a few wagons. At £10 including postage, it would probably be difficult to get one individually for the same money. It does have this unusual addition though. It's stuck on rather well and there are prominent glue marks both around here and where the previous owner has reattached the hand rails by the doors, so generous helpings were used. I think I'm probably better off leaving it as it is and saying that Oakhampstead wanted to run longer push-pull trains than the Swindon system allowed, and so experimentally rebuilt a few autocoaches with a different type of control system (no idea what) and gangways on one end, with some standard coaches converted to transmit the controls to the loco.

There were gangwayed auto coaches, designed to run in pairs, and used on the Plymouth Area suburban main line autos, four 70' trailers with a 54xx in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Dart Valley Railway converted at least one auto coach in the 1980's to corridor connection and used as an observation coach taking out the panelling behind the drivers end to open this up

Now since been rebuilt back to normal function.... in fact the SDR where the first preserved line to run auto trains again in the late 90's with 1420 ... think the coach No was 232 or 238

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Here’s some Hatton’s madness I suppose (probably worse price on eBay though):image.png.f92c112065792b032ab0a6c87fab4389.png

Oh and let’s not forget our other 150 fiend: image.png.7590bb88a0c1beae0b760f045ae34ef4.png

Both laughably high prices that only the serious modeller will pay. And then we wonder why our hobby is dying out... 

It’s our fault for asking for every rivet perfect... :diablo_mini:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hatton's seem to have lost the plot entirely with their 'pre-owned bargains', charging very little less than the new item's RRP and often more than it can be had discounted if you look around.  They seem to pay more attention to the condition of the box than the model, and not infrequently these overpriced 'bargains' have missing buffers, couplings, or other minor damage which seems not to be reflected in the pricing, sometimes being listed next to an undamaged identical item at the same price.

Another wierdness is the appearance of several identical items at the same price, each apparently the only one in stock.  It is something that I am sure would generate more income than it does for Hats if they could be bothered to get to grips with it, but they use the excuse that the guy dealing with this stuff is a trainee.  Well, he's been a trainee for some time now and in any case that's not an excuse, just an admission that you are not training or supervising him properly.

Like I've said before, Hats and Gostude need their own threads, if only as a spectator sport!

• Like 1
  • Agree 11