EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

To misquote a Stock Aitken and Waterman song... He should be so lucky, lucky lucky lucky...

Maybe there's a reason his railway artefact valuer friend is now retired....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Very good, boxed condition.

Apart from the cabs being upturned a little and being very cracked.

The only thing possibly salvageable is the sound decoder but it alone is not worth the asking price.

Cheers

Darius

Who remembers the 2 x class 31's that some kids broke into in the 80's that where ticking over and let them run away down the siding....

They both ended up ontop of a roundabout on the North Circ' think it might have been near Watford...

Well they had cabs bent like that when the piled up...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"PETE WATERMAN HAND Signed Autograph 10 X 8 Photo Record Producer & Songwriter - £12.99 | PicClick UK" https://picclick.co.uk/PETE-WATERMAN-Hand-Signed-Autograph-10-X-8-124231809938.html

Well, that IS interesting....

Does Mr Waterman only sign things when drunk? Might explain "Mel and Kim" and "Sonia" amongst others ;)

• Funny 6

The madness with this one is that I have bought it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-Class-55-Deltic-Diesel-Locomotive-The-Black-Watch-Weathered-949-/284555270210?nma=true&si=%2FvspTMOpduihGinjwDW8NM3%2FnU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know weathering is a personal thing but this appears to have been camouflaged....
Still, the price was right for me to a) try and get that stuff off and b) improve my skills at a better finish. Plan c) (no relation to HM Government) will be a repaint if the 'camouflage' proves resistant.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

The madness with this one is that I have bought it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-Class-55-Deltic-Diesel-Locomotive-The-Black-Watch-Weathered-949-/284555270210?nma=true&si=%2FvspTMOpduihGinjwDW8NM3%2FnU0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know weathering is a personal thing but this appears to have been camouflaged....
Still, the price was right for me to a) try and get that stuff off and b) improve my skills at a better finish. Plan c) (no relation to HM Government) will be a repaint if the 'camouflage' proves resistant.

With respect, it looks like it did ten rounds with a muck spreader! :smoke:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

If the bottom listing is correct, in the respect that it is "Very Rare". How come there are four for sale?

Because Christmas is coming..... .....

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

With respect, it looks like it did ten rounds with a muck spreader! :smoke:

And lost each one on points.  You don't even see farm equipment looking like this, but at least somebody had a go, no serious unrepairable damage is done, and andyman got a bargain!  I just hope that whoever did was not put off adapting RTR models to his own purposes by this less than desirable outcome... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And lost each one on points.  You don't even see farm equipment looking like this, but at least somebody had a go, no serious unrepairable damage is done, and andyman got a bargain!  I just hope that whoever did was not put off adapting RTR models to his own purposes by this less than desirable outcome... 

Given its condition, 'The Black Watch' seems rather an appropriate name!? I fear its granny will be licking the corner of her hanky!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 13/12/2021 at 19:26, Darius43 said:

Very good, boxed condition.

Apart from the cabs being upturned a little and being very cracked.

The only thing possibly salvageable is the sound decoder but it alone is not worth the asking price.

Cheers

Darius

It doesn’t happen often, but this one finally made me see red.

You see, I’ve corresponded before with Rails of Sheffield pointing out when items have been incorrectly described, or perhaps when the photos simply don’t match (in any way) the descriptions. I’ve had polite thanks and occasionally explanations that a new member of staff has been doing the listings etc*

So tonight I’ve been a bit more forthright about how I feel and sent the following …

<Start copy>

Dear RAILS

You describe this item as “Good, boxed”

Assuming that the comma is there to make it clear that you are not describing the box as ‘good’, then that means you are describing the model as being in ‘good’ condition…

Looking at the photos, the damage to the plastic body shell around the cabs is consistent with ‘Mazak rot’, a well known and well documented fault with certain models, the Hornby Class 31 being relatively well known as suffering from this condition.

Therefore a more accurate description should read “for spares or repairs” as in actuality the chassis is probably fit only for the bin.

I would therefore say that your description is deliberately misleading to potential customers, particularly anyone new to the hobby who thinks they might be able to easily repair the ‘good’ model you are selling, the description backed up by your reputation both as a retailer and commissioner of models such as the excellent Terrier loco.

I have contacted you before on other occasions regarding somewhat erroneous listing descriptions and have had replies explaining that you have a new member of staff and that they have made a mistake. However, that has been given as an excuse too many times to ring true any more.

You are doing yourselves a disservice to the reputation of your business with listings such as this - misleading descriptions and price tags far exceeding the actual value of the items you are selling. This is not an isolated incident, which makes it appear to be your policy to list items in this fashion.

I have purchased items from you in the past both from eBay and from your shop in Sheffield - right now, I am putting aside funds to allow me to buy myself one of your exquisite Terrier locos, and contemplating duplicating my existing order for a Victory class 0-6-0 with the exclusive ROD livery version you are selling - so I am not here simply to moan that you are overpricing your eBay auctions.

Please - clean up your eBay act.

Steve S

<End copy>

Of course, I am assuming that it is Mazak rot that has caused the damage but it looks like it to me!

I don’t expect a reply, but if I do get one I will share it here.

I expect RAILS to charge a little more as a retailer - they have tax to pay on sales for example - but their eBay prices are often way more than an item is really worth, and their descriptions are often laughably incorrect. I’ve had good buys off them on eBay in the past, but now they seem to jack prices up and give far too much attention to the state of the bl@@dy packaging the models come in!

Rant over (honest!)

* Yes - that old chestnut!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Note added
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294626210168?hash=item4499173178:g:FRMAAOSwpgJhtH0b

Must admit I was, and remain, 'old school'! My vocal chuffing and whistling would have given late Percy Edwards a run for his money! :locomotive:

I do chuffing noises when operating the layout, and whistles and vacuum pumps as well.  In sync with the driving wheels.  The Squeeze has alway known that I am a bit strange, so takes this in her stride...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I do chuffing noises when operating the layout, and whistles and vacuum pumps as well.  In sync with the driving wheels.  The Squeeze has alway known that I am a bit strange, so takes this in her stride...

What you could do is record your sound effects and have them blown onto a sound decoder.... :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1