EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

But in the spirit of the TV series "Mythbusters" ; would it work?

As a non structural engineer I'd say not,  the forces are not working in the planes they are intended to. 

I would imagine that it would be trying to pull itself apart or straight due to the imbalances.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

But in the spirit of the TV series "Mythbusters" ; would it work?

On a model railway - yes - as the overturning forces are quite small compared to the material strength.  The bridge and its supports would still need to be pinned/screwed down to prevent overturning due to teh out of balance forces.  It would then be in good company along with bridges with inadequate or wrongly positioned piers, four-track tunnel portals and tunnels with 2 scale feet of earth above and a cathedral on top...

In real life - possibly - but it would need to be massively overdesigned and require a significant holding down structure to counter the out of balance forces - probably tension piles in the foundations.   This would be massively uneconomic for a truss bridge but has been done with cable-stayed bridges such as the "blinking eye" in Gateshead.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As eBay is now so 'mad' that it is almost a Hatter, is there another selling/buying site (apart from on RMW) that actually has a 'wide audience'? I ask as when I  look on EB these days it is so full of sh##e I get bored after about two minutes. I shall soon be selling a load of 4mm stuff too and I really don't know if I will have the will to live long enough to put things up on EB.

Thanks.

P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

As eBay is now so 'mad' that it is almost a Hatter, is there another selling/buying site (apart from on RMW) that actually has a 'wide audience'? I ask as when I  look on EB these days it is so full of sh##e I get bored after about two minutes. I shall soon be selling a load of 4mm stuff too and I really don't know if I will have the will to live long enough to put things up on EB.

Thanks.

P

I would argue the worst aspect of ebay is that prices are generally inflated - even pristine second hand goods ads in your local newsagent window would have been about half new price - these days it's somewhere up as high as 80 - 90% as standard, which is good if you are selling.

That's got to be down to the massive audience and you may not get that anywhere else.

It's like anything in life, learning to get the best out of something is usually effort well spent (not meant to be patronising, I meant I put effort into best time to sell, wording clearly, right postage method, selling buy it now at the right price to attract interest etc etc).

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2020 at 00:22, 'CHARD said:

Wot no head code ? But is very good condition of course.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There are other on-line auction sites and sites such as Facebook have on-line sales.

I was going to ask if these other sites give the same level of protection to buyer and seller but even on eBay that seems to be gradually being eroded.

Edited by rab
Correcting typo caused by SWMBO talking to me while I was typing
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I find e bay good. Buy the item either with BIN or auction. Click on a few buttons and Pay pal payment made and item sent to my address that is already in the system.

Compared with the faffing around with addresses, payment methods, seller not knowing the postage etc. when buying on Facebook or forums (including this one) E Bay is a godsend.

No disrespect to recent sellers that I have purchased from but EBay is so much easier.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Agree 3

Has anyone ever seen some of the utterly mad bids and thought it smells more like money laundering than idiots with too much money?

'cause some of these items and the end sale prices are just... wot.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AlexHolt said:

Whilst looking for a Lima Class 37 I came across these. Described as 'very good condition' but are non runners that have had the bodyshells badly cut up. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-OO-GAUGE-205285-RAILFREIGHT-DISTRIBUTION-GREY-CLASS-37-Co-Co-37-673-VGC/274212586356

Looks like he used pruning shears to cut up the body shells.  I dread to think what his “other projects” look like.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, AlexHolt said:

Whilst looking for a Lima Class 37 I came across these. Described as 'very good condition' but are non runners that have had the bodyshells badly cut up. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMA-OO-GAUGE-205285-RAILFREIGHT-DISTRIBUTION-GREY-CLASS-37-Co-Co-37-673-VGC/274212586356

In scrap condition would look great in a siding one has been weathered they are not 100% finished I haven’t got time as I have other projects to do

Translation:

I've made a mess of this. Maybe I can dump it on someone too dumb to notice how bad it is? There's always some mug on eBay...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/02/2020 at 20:22, AlexHolt said:

Highly amusing, the power unit in 37673 is bigger than the loco!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I know its not ebay but is in fact the 2nd hand area of Hattons on line sales. This just goes to prove how deluded people are who put stuff up for sale on line.

It looks awful crude and is in no way worth the asking price of £300

I wish Hattons would realise that they are deluding themselves sometimes

https://www.hattons.co.uk/502015/kitbuilt_kb811_po_class_n2_0_6_2t_1884_in_lner_black_pre_owned_kit_built_intermittent_runner/stockdetail.aspx

Mark

On 01/02/2020 at 21:22, AlexHolt said:

It looks there is a zero (or two) too many in the price.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

I know its not ebay but is in fact the 2nd hand area of Hattons on line sales. This just goes to prove how deluded people are who put stuff up for sale on line.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/502015/kitbuilt_kb811_po_class_n2_0_6_2t_1884_in_lner_black_pre_owned_kit_built_intermittent_runner/stockdetail.aspx

Mark

One of the photos shows a ‘Recyclable’ label.

Is that a suggestion I wonder.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Mark

Looks like it’s been squashed.  Perhaps someone sat on it.

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 1