EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, ba14eagle said:

Nothing a bit of t-cut couldn't rectify

I bought a Dapol brake van that had been resprayed recently. Half an hour in IPA and the home finish wiped straight off. Then took another 2 days to shift the factory finish so you could probably get away without having to respray this.

• Like 1

Hi All

Just seen this item whilst it may not seem overpriced at the moment a kit loco of an LSWR class 700 or black motor i would be amazed if it gets much more than the asking price.

Its been horrendously weathered and is on an old Triang Chassis.

To be fair to the seller the description does state this (Triang Chassis) but how much would a second hand Hornby black motor go for versus the effort required to make this nice model. If it were mine i would through away the loco chassis and start again as well as dunk the body shell into some paint stripper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Gauge-kit-built-Drummond-700-class-Heavily-Weathered-Triang-chassis/153457307237?hash=item23bac4ae65:g:DJcAAOSwv~tcudB4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Hi All

Just seen this item whilst it may not seem overpriced at the moment a kit loco of an LSWR class 700 or black motor i would be amazed if it gets much more than the asking price.

To be fair to the seller the description does state this (Triang Chassis) but how much would a second hand Hornby black motor go for versus the effort required to make this nice model. If it were mine i would through away the loco chassis and start again as well as dunk the body shell into some paint stripper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-Gauge-kit-built-Drummond-700-class-Heavily-Weathered-Triang-chassis/153457307237?hash=item23bac4ae65:g:DJcAAOSwv~tcudB4

Presumably an old Tri-ang 3F tender loco chassis?

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:32, Metr0Land said:

Definitely out of gauge, especially with the chimney mounted atop the steam chest instead of the smokebox. There are also some interesting (!) buses weathered in a style more befitting a WD or 9F in Barry scrapyard. If you see e "professionally weathered" Darth Vader or My little Pony for sale on eBay for about £60 starting bid, that will be me, taking the p#ss...

• Funny 5

10 hours ago, markneilp14 said:

Hi All

Good point, I picked up a white metal Dean goods with an elderly rtr chassis at a local model railway exhibition for £15, was shown it running too. Add to that a fiver to get in, another fiver for petrol in the bike and three quid for a pint on the way home. A good day out and I am still up a few quid. The loco is in the queue for surgery, though as it runs fine I will probably ignore its faults for a while!

Edited by MrWolf
Miss Riding Hood interrupted my literary flow with a cup of tea
  • Like 1

I was asked what I was sniggering about and have just been informed by Miss Riding Hood that any attempt to "Pro weather" HER My little pony and stick it on ebay for a laugh will result (in ascending order of pain) in her:

1: Chasing me round the garden with a sword.

2: Forcing me to wear a Harley Davidson T shirt.

3: Sticking First Great Western logos on all my nice green painted steam engines.

Sometimes she really knows how to just stick the knife in and then break it off...

• Funny 6

There is a seller on Australian eBay who has two listings,  both described as a Hornby Railroad R3086.  One listing is actually a Corgi collectable 120 scale Flying Scotsman.  The other listing is the static diecast models available in a magazine some years ago showing Flying Scotsman as an A3 loco.  Hornby R3086 is an A1 loco,  It did not appear that the seller's store normally sold model railway items so I politely messaged him advising that what he had was not a Hornby R3086 and was actually a Corgi 120 scale loco or a magazine give away depending on the listing viewed.  He had $120.00 start bid with no takers.  He made no acknowledgement of my message.  The auctions timed out so he relisted both items still calling them Hornby Railroad R3086,   with bidding starting at $89.00 each this time around.  Why did  I bother?  The penny may finally drop when he receives no bids on either item after relisting multiple times.  

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info
  • Funny 5

I model in gauge 3 and the larger the scale the large the cost but at £4500 this is delusional especially when the loco is in a terrible state. For the same money you can buy a RTR kingscale live steam gas fired Britannia.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-LOCOMOTIVE-STEAM-TANK-ENGINE-G3-2-5-GAUGE-ELECTRIC-3-RAIL-GERMAN/124085560704?hash=item1ce4136580:g:wkcAAOSwOuxc7RVp

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

French eBay can be quite interesting for eye-wateringly ridiculous prices. In many cases sellers calculate their prices using the assumption "old = expensive"

Here's an SNCF BB9200 from 1976-1981, worth about 10-15 quid but courageously listed with a BIN price tag of £50.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Toy-Jouef-Locomotive-BB9288-wagon-restaurant-ech-Ho/164036958221?hash=item26315d580d:g:n0cAAOSwJVBcXtjg

bb.jpg.00826974e8556dd5e80a717609411f31.jpg

Edited by jivebunny
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Oddly given so much has been written about him, including some notable alleged physical defects, I've never seen anyone mention a grossly oversized head before.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Oddly given so much has been written about him, including some notable alleged physical defects, I've never seen anyone mention a grossly oversized head before.

Or a half-mustache! :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 3

What I find inexplicable, is the price differences for common items. I would like to think it's just people not doing their homework rather than being blatant chancers.

Take something as simple as a plastic wagon kit. A basic box van, mass produced and not obsolete (those I know can attract some wild prices at times)

Private seller has this item up for sale, box opened but nothing missing for £12 plus £3.95 post.

Dealer / model railway shop has the same item, brand new and sealed for £8.50 plus £1.99 post.

There are literally dozens of such instances. If a private individual has the same thing starting at 99p on bids, I bid up to the cheapest BIN price less say, 50p inc post. If I don't win, is just hit the cheapest BIN.

I often wonder if any of the stuff that is dearer than new ever sells. These will be the people who complain about tight ass punters on eBay I suspect!

• Agree 2

I don't know what is worse, the fact it's a model of Hitler, or that he's been painted up as a footy thug in blue denims and a white Ben Sherman shirt, which I doubt the Austrian failed artist with a massive chip on his shoulder would have been seen dead wearing.

He also seems to be playing monorchid trouser tennis.  Eva must have had a headache.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, pH said:

Looking at just the starting bid, what would you think this was an auction for? The seller has 100% feedback on a reasonable number of items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-OF-FAKE-REPRO-NORTH-BRITISH-WORKS-PLATE-/133347724518

I do not think that he is really selling the photo; he is giving out information on how to identify the fake builder's plate. And he goes on to mention other fakes that are showing up in the market.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1