EBay madness

Marcyg

A dealer who likes to fill a great chunk of the item description with self praise and quotes just about every piece of positive feedback he ever got.

Two things:

Everyone writes something nice, it is mandatory to get through the feedback system on eBay.

That still doesn't justify the price.

Sorry folks, not feeling the love atm.

There isn't half some overpriced junk on ebay lately!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's only overpriced if it doesn't sell....

True, I should probably have just said: "There isn't half some junk on eBay" but then I would expect someone to dust off the "One man's junk..." chestnut.

I recall thinking that the van looked a bit empty before setting off to an autojumble and filling it up with odds and ends from my scrap pile. No prizes for guessing what sold first for way more than it would have made over the weighbridge!

• Like 1

Ebay can be odd like that. Demand for certain items seems to ebb and flow and some stuff is unsellable. I had 3 attempts at selling an original, NOS ignition unit for a post 1968 Triumph Bonneville. I was asking for a starting bid of £15, just to get rid. Other people were asking £90 buy it now. Unfortunately, it may be original, but they weren't the most reliable thing and everyone fits a modern electronic unit. Ding. No sale. Just because it was old and unobtainable, didn't stop it being junk.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MartinWales said:

If there's one thing I absolutely hate it's.......L@@K!

Amen to that.

In fact, whenever I see superlatives used in the title I immediately think that the vendor is using diversionary language.

The vintage vehicle trade is rife with it and my other pet hate £POA

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Amen to that.

In fact, whenever I see superlatives used in the title I immediately think that the vendor is using diversionary language.

The vintage vehicle trade is rife with it and my other pet hate £POA

Any time I see £POA I quickly move on the next thing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2020 at 20:14, rab said:

It’s “ex-shop display”. Back in my day “ex-display” meant “cheaper” (possibility of fading, handling damage etc.). Really can’t see how it can be called “mint”!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RichardT said:

It’s “ex-shop display”. Back in my day “ex-display” meant “cheaper” (possibility of fading, handling damage etc.). Really can’t see how it can be called “mint”!

Exactly, it's just like buying a new car that's an "ex demonstrator" it's got 500 miles on the odometer and dozens of Joe's have kicked the tyres. Hence, it's up to a grand under book price.

POA is short for Price Only After We've Felt Your Wallet....

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, RichardT said:

Kind of 'shop soiled' then?