EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

And just to complete the hat-trick: this wagon is also £18.00 from Wizard, so the buyer could have almost bought two new for the price of his second-hand D&S kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-amp-S-DS159-C-NER-8T-Open-Dia-C3-with-expanded-metal-frame-W-M-amp-Etched-Brass-Kit-/283866828657?nma=true&si=KKWNKfsvk3uRyOs%2FV9x2Xnktxsk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

D&S coach kits are bonkers prices - I think Paul Vigor put his finger on it as it is obvious that they are just being traded in circles unopened as a form of alternative currency!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Recently saw an old white metal D&S GWR outside frame brake van kit fetch £64. Another, incomplete, badly built and even worse painted, £42. (that one has a better chance of being sorted out and used rather than being stuck in a bank vault)

Even the more prosaic models are pushing £25, such as the old Ratio GWR Open C and the MAJ models L&Y LWB Open. I have a couple of these on the bench at present.

The big question is:

Do I build and run them?

Or surround them with razor wire, Dobermans, a minefield and a couple of Panzer divisions for good measure, just in case Miss Riding Hood and I decide to get married on Bali?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Recently saw an old white metal D&S GWR outside frame brake van kit fetch £64. Another, incomplete, badly built and even worse painted, £42. (that one has a better chance of being sorted out and used rather than being stuck in a bank vault)

Even the more prosaic models are pushing £25, such as the old Ratio GWR Open C and the MAJ models L&Y LWB Open. I have a couple of these on the bench at present.

The big question is:

Do I build and run them?

Or surround them with razor wire, Dobermans, a minefield and a couple of Panzer divisions for good measure, just in case Miss Riding Hood and I decide to get married on Bali?

I tried to bid on both those GWR early toads, dropped out when it just got silly. I guess the last dealer holding the item when the expected sale price is so huge that no one will bid, is the one who catches a cold? Why does that sound like some kind of dodgy financial scam!? Ebay seems to have introduced the concept that anyone and everyone can be a dealer and make money buying and selling. However, taking a fairly bulk standard wagon for example, the bid price plus 'economy' postage is likely to produce an invoice that will deter me from bidding. Pre-Lockdown, I preferred to take my chances buying at shows - at least one got to handle and examine closely what one planned to buy. Its so easy to miss things in photographs. Another thing: dealer's photos of items - items they expect us to pay big bucks for - can be diabolical.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Very true, the old "condition as per photos" get-out methods. I bought the wagons I mentioned at a model railway exhibition. The L&Y wagons were in the £2 box of general train set tat. Seller had a huge modern image layout and said they had come in a box of junk. A friend is a big LSWR/SR fan, he lives up north and picks a lot of models cheaply at exhibitions.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2020 at 17:16, J. S. Bach said:

Whatever this seller is drinking, I want to stay far, very far, away from it:

These retail for about $150.00 or less!

And the missing box

They were first listed at $11,000 then upped to $12,000! :huh:

Edit: These are US O scale 1/48.

Now the price has been upped to $17,000!!!!!!!

Edited by J. S. Bach

You've probably heard about secret messages being dropped into seemingly jibberish newspaper ads during world war two? Maybe this is the 21st century version? A coded message from "Them" to "They"?

Whatever it is, don't click on anything, there will probably be a black helicopter over your house in ten minutes! ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You've probably heard about secret messages being dropped into seemingly jibberish newspaper ads during world war two? Maybe this is the 21st century version? A coded message from "Them" to "They"?

Whatever it is, don't click on anything, there will probably be a black helicopter over your house in ten minutes! ;)

It is dark out now so I will not even see it. :jester:

• Funny 2

Bric a brac dealer. I had a look at his inventory just to see if there was a Victorian chamber pot, so I could say: "Here's another item he's selling that truly takes the p###".

I'll get me coat...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very true, the old "condition as per photos" get-out methods. I bought the wagons I mentioned at a model railway exhibition. The L&Y wagons were in the £2 box of general train set tat. Seller had a huge modern image layout and said they had come in a box of junk. A friend is a big LSWR/SR fan, he lives up north and picks a lot of models cheaply at exhibitions.

And don’t forget the biggy that has caught a lot of people out.......”you are buying a picture of the item” in really VERY small print buried in the description.......oh yes, some very dodgy traders out there......

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, RichardT said:

And just to complete the hat-trick: this wagon is also £18.00 from Wizard, so the buyer could have almost bought two new for the price of his second-hand D&S kit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-amp-S-DS159-C-NER-8T-Open-Dia-C3-with-expanded-metal-frame-W-M-amp-Etched-Brass-Kit-/283866828657?nma=true&si=KKWNKfsvk3uRyOs%2FV9x2Xnktxsk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

D&S coach kits are bonkers prices - I think Paul Vigor put his finger on it as it is obvious that they are just being traded in circles unopened as a form of alternative currency!

I'm convinced that there is a benevolent millionaire scooping up all the remaining unbuilt D&S kits......

• Like 2

Greetings from a guy who runs a similar thread about weird stuff on eBay rather than overpriced. Is it just me, or are all Hornby/Dapol L&Y Class 21 Pugs (RTR, not kit) prohibitively expensive online? 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

IF someone started churning out all of the old D&S, Coopercraft, Kirk, Geen et al kits again, half of the secondhand dealers would go bust.

Sadly, so would the reproducers of the kits.

Because people like me would have laughed themselves to death :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Greetings from a guy who runs a similar thread about weird stuff on eBay rather than overpriced. Is it just me, or are all Hornby/Dapol L&Y Class 21 Pugs prohibitively expensive online? 

I could be wrong, but possibly because tiny shunting layouts are in vogue currently.

I was looking at a motorised Airfix / kitmaster one on eBay and I'll bet that fetches a good price too.

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I could be wrong, but possibly because tiny shunting layouts are in vogue currently.

I guess, so they're being bought up by everyone who (like me) can't afford a Hornby Peckett. All I want is the damn gear from the drive axle so I can fix the Pugbash I already have! My larger locos can't fit into the sidings to get their own coaches, and it was my station pilot. 

19 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

I'm not sure what that means. 

Sorry, Car speak! OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Not able to get the bits you need from Hornby /Dapol or get their parts from someone else like Peters Spares?

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry, Car speak! OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. Not able to get the bits you need from Hornby /Dapol or get their parts from someone else like Peters Spares?

Ah, right. Not sure, as I'm not sure as to what the exact part number is.