EBay madness

Marcyg

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If it wasn't for the lockdown, you could write the description up something like: Rare! Until the model railway exhibitions start up again and you'll find one in every £2 bin...

I have to admit that it is rare though. Rare to see anyone asking £25 for a bit of dog-eared old Superquick.

No bids! Now who would have thought.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Truly 'rare' this one....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-cardboard-paper-train-platform/324180218881?hash=item4b7aa59401:g:BFEAAOSw6FFevsMc

But a snip. At least that's what it needs, with a large pair of shears....

Tony

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If it wasn't for the lockdown, you could write the description up something like: Rare! Until the model railway exhibitions start up again and you'll find one in every £2 bin...

I have to admit that it is rare though. Rare to see anyone asking £25 for a bit of dog-eared old Superquick.

That's probably where it originated from and an opportunity was spotted!

Mike.

• Agree 1

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 15:37, micklner said:

If you actually wanted a kit of this!!,  politely described a "Hybrid" on here by people who know the kit , its still available less prehestoric Romford wheels for £100.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILLHOLME-MODELS-KIT-BUILT-HULL-BARNSLEY-RLY-LNER-BR-J28-CLASS-0-6-0-LOCO/293595560509?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The hammer finally fell at £451.00.

Holy pot metal Batman!

I bet the seller wishes that the pubs were open!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

These generally make around £500 at auction (boxed examples with paperwork).

So if I can manage to put it diplomatically without going off into some obscure piece of humour / scathing comment / outright stand up, point and laugh routine...

The price being asked is somewhat optimistic?

Damn it. I can't do it!

Is he hoping to reel in some schmuck of a collector with more money than sense who has got to have it no matter what the price thereby falsely inflating the perceived value ceiling of mass produced 1950s toys as a precursor to selling more of his stock at similarly inflated prices in a type of investment quality collectors item gold rush that we have seen so many times before as witnessed some years ago amongst the classic car fraternity...

(pause for breath)

That's better, I'm going for a lie down. Miss Riding Hood! Be a dear and fetch me my pills....

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

These generally make around £500 at auction (boxed examples with paperwork).

Auction ended, no bids!

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Is he hoping to reel in some schmuck of a collector with more money than sense who has got to have it no matter what the price thereby falsely inflating the perceived value ceiling of mass produced 1950s toys as a precursor to selling more of his stock at similarly inflated prices in a type of investment quality collectors item gold rush that we have seen so many times before as witnessed some years ago amongst the classic car fraternity..

I'm still convinced there's an eccentric millionaire somwhere who's bidding on all these RARE/L@@K (sorry, could'nt resist it!) models, some of dubious ancestry and scooping them all up, at all costs!

One quick though though. At those prices he wont be a millionaire for much longer.....

• Funny 4

No, I don't. Er indoors may have the holy hand grenade of Antioch though.

I realised that I was no longer in the kingdom of Arthur though when the cast iron sign at the end of the platform said: GWR. NONE SHALL PASS! (Penalty forty shillings or Frenchmen hurling insults at thee)

• Funny 5

57 minutes ago, rab said:

If you're going to be period correct I suppose. There were lots of dead Elms about at one time, like bleached bones they stood out. Many got blown down and cut up in the storms of the winter of 76-77.

• Informative/Useful 1