EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We have to be a little careful here, as discussed earlier, some people may have difficulties with writing.

Maybe he wrote "Experimental livery" when he actually meant: "EXCREMENTAL livery" ?

Ah, who cares, it's awful.

Perhaps someone will put in a bid, because they want the box?

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Not sure if this is ebay madness, or collector madness

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Very-Rare-Triang-Tri-ang-Hornby-CP-Rail-car/254625634755?hash=item3b48ded9c3:g:TdQAAOSwiX9e3TRX#viTabs_0

Over 500 quid for a Triang truck. Nope.

That price is bad enough, how about the postage - about £34.00! I dread to think what he is charging for international postage.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

Not sure if this is ebay madness, or collector madness

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Very-Rare-Triang-Tri-ang-Hornby-CP-Rail-car/254625634755?hash=item3b48ded9c3:g:TdQAAOSwiX9e3TRX#viTabs_0

Over 500 quid for a Triang truck. Nope.

Sorry folks, no time for a humorous / scathing comment.

I'm far too busy repainting old Triang bogie brick wagons into Canadian Pacific livery....

• Funny 9

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sorry folks, no time for a humorous / scathing comment.

I'm far too busy repainting old Triang bogie brick wagons into Canadian Pacific livery....

Just look at the delivery times-33 to 96 days:wacko:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I know Canada is a big place, but that's just silly.

Canada is a massive place, thank you very much ;)

It costs me about 10-12 quid a time for postage within Canada buying anything. The parcel rates are comparatively high. My guess is the amount stated is so high because it includes insurance etc, which on $900 would be a significant amount.

Our system is a little overwhelmed at the moment too - I've been waiting 25 days for a loco from Ontario. It was 6 weeks for an IKEA order. International mail is either "surprisingly fast" or "we thought it had got lost it took that long". I once got my birthday card (early March birthday) from a family member before I got the Christmas card. 3-4 weeks for a parcel from Canada to the UK is typical.

• Friendly/supportive 1

30 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Canada is a massive place, thank you very much ;)

I was supposed to go to Yellowknife once for work. Luckily it was summer, no chance in winter. I was damn disappointed when it didn't happen. Upon telling my friend who lives in Peterboro' about the trip, he just said: "Are you nuts?"

30 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

. 3-4 weeks for a parcel from Canada to the UK is typical.

That's probably our fault, if our paddle steamer mail ship makes it through the ice, historically, there's every chance that the Irish Mail train will crash.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BoD said:

That's either been in a damp garage for thirty years OR, it's an attempt at modelling the 125 involved in the Southall crash. Hard to say really.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, BoD said:

I was going to say he gives everything 4/5, but this is 5 (in his estimation, other opinions available)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-Dublo-Footbridge/114260036169?hash=item1a9a6dca49:g:UHMAAOSwzYVe54Mg

• RMweb Premium
On 11/06/2020 at 15:26, Prometheus said:

Not surprisingly, this has been up there for absolutely ages. And it's destined to remain there, too...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-GWR-00-Gauge-40-Passenger-Brake-to-Dia-K15-Kit-Built-rebuilt/254515720599?hash=item3b4251b197:g:D5kAAOSwWI1eSrpi

I particulalrly liked the:

'...I make no apology for the high price being sought for this particular model. It will seem totally unacceptable to the ‘bargain hunters’, who try it on to get models for ‘next to nothing’, but will make good sense to those who know the standards that I set and the quality of my work. As usual, this yet another ‘unique model’ that is unlikely to be repeated...'.

Best of luck, chum.

Tony

Painted sh1t brown too.  How appropriate.

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, rab said:

Perhaps his classification works the opposite way and mint is 1.

It's certainly far from mint/boxed which I would expect for top rated condition. When it comes to vintage cars and bikes, condition 5 is "Spare parts only" condition 1 is Mint / restored as original. This I would put at condition 3, daily driver!

• Informative/Useful 1

eBay madness? You want eBay madness?  How about ten minutes ago the version running on my iPad decided to declare itself "retired" and now I can't use eBay on this iPad, because I cannot update the iOS to a modern enough version to run the updated version of the eBay app?!  Clicking on your links to ridiculously overpriced items simply crashes the app!

Aaaaargh!

The irony is that (a) I won THIS iPad in an ebay auction a few years ago (b) it was for a silly low price compared to similar items selling at the time despite (c) having twice the memory of those items and (d) when it rolled up, it turned out to be a more modern version than the one I had purchased *and* has the facility to add a SIM card despite me buying it as "wireless only"!  (Being honest, I contacted the seller to say I thought I'd been sent the wrong model but his response was he had listed it incorrectly and I had purchased it in good faith, so no worries!)

From here on in, it seems I shall have to browse eBay on my mobile, and squint at photos on a tiny screen!

• Friendly/supportive 5

4 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

eBay madness? You want eBay madness?  How about ten minutes ago the version running on my iPad decided to declare itself "retired" and now I can't use eBay on this iPad, because I cannot update the iOS to a modern enough version to run the updated version of the eBay app?!  Clicking on your links to ridiculously overpriced items simply crashes the app!

Aaaaargh!

The irony is that (a) I won THIS iPad in an ebay auction a few years ago (b) it was for a silly low price compared to similar items selling at the time despite (c) having twice the memory of those items and (d) when it rolled up, it turned out to be a more modern version than the one I had purchased *and* has the facility to add a SIM card despite me buying it as "wireless only"!  (Being honest, I contacted the seller to say I thought I'd been sent the wrong model but his response was he had listed it incorrectly and I had purchased it in good faith, so no worries!)

From here on in, it seems I shall have to browse eBay on my mobile, and squint at photos on a tiny screen!

Join the club, I do everything on a military surplus Nokia 735. Windows no longer supported. It works just fine for what I need for work and putting daft posts on here. It's only a matter of time before it becomes useless.

Planned obsolescence. Pet hate number 884B, section 2 , paragraph 6...

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Join the club, I do everything on a military surplus Nokia 735. Windows no longer supported. It works just fine for what I need for work and putting daft posts on here. It's only a matter of time before it becomes useless.

Planned obsolescence. Pet hate number 884B, section 2 , paragraph 6...

Sorry.  I went into rant mode before ... eBay dying on my iMac and the prospect of putting eye drops in the dog's eyes every two hours through the night!  Now I can't search for bargains between doses without peering at a small screen!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Sorry.  I went into rant mode before ... eBay dying on my iMac and the prospect of putting eye drops in the dog's eyes every two hours through the night!  Now I can't search for bargains between doses without peering at a small screen!

Just think of the money you can save by keeping away from ebay!

Don't worry about the rant we all do it at times.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Yep, day in, day out we get fed all that fluffiness about "being in touch with our emotions" and "sharing our feelings", but just try venting a little steam and you feel obligated to issue a preemptive apology just in case someone gets all offended and has a meltdown.

No worries SteveyDee, we're all grown ups here, such things are sent to try us.

Remember the first law of the cosmos:

Thou shalt not win.

If any viewers feel that you have been affected by any of Mr. Wolf's cynicism, there is website that you can visit.

www-tena-lady.com

Peace. Out.

Edited by MrWolf
Too much emotion
  • Funny 6

Guest Half-full
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Aaaaargh!

One word for you Steve...  Android!

(Ducks for cover)

51 minutes ago, Half-full said:

(Ducks for cover)

And because of all your help and advice about Blue Pullmans, I shall let that slide! :D

For my sins, I am locked into the Apple platform because I am a simple musician who needs computers etc I'm using for music activities to simply work, all the time, rock solid, especially during performance!  I've experienced PCs crash, lock up, and on one occasion actually burn so the stability of the hardware is a big factor in my choice of OS!!  Bearing in mind I run Macs from 1996, 2002, 2007 & 2011, plus an iBook from 2011 and a 4th generation iPad from 2012 and am used to things just working with minimal input from me, the eBay app dying came as a shock!

I would save money without easy eBay access, but I have my eyes on multiple Blue Pullman related auctions, and already missed out on Southern Pride restaurant coach window inlays due to medicating the dog taking just a bit longer than planned for, so would rather not miss out again! :lol:

Steve S

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Aaaaargh!

If it is the eBay app that is the issue why can you not just browse and use eBay in the normal iPad browser, as you would in a computer/android etc?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Half-full said:

Doesn't always help.

My Asus Android Tablet (4.2.2 Jelly Bean) won't run the current eBay app and is increasingly displaying website security errors because the built in browser can't cope and Chrome can't be updated any more.

it's never been offered incremental OS updates to download automatically and I'm slightly nervous about doing a manual update in case something goes wrong. Isn't technology great?

Steven B.