EBay madness

Marcyg

I see our friend Gostude is at it again, this time with a secondhand Silver Fox Bulleid 1-Co-Co-1 diesel running on a Mainline chassis for sale at £20 more than a brand new, guaranteed, high-spec Kernow special edition RTR that simply makes his auction item look like a "Railroad" model!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 96701 said:

I really don't care whether or not somebody outbids me. I stick in an offer as to how much  I'm prepared to pay for it including p&p. If somebody is prepared to pay more than me, then fair enough. It's not life or death is it?

what like this :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-limited-edition-class-47-406-Rail-Riders-InterCity-31-650P/174456044462?hash=item289e63fbae:g:~VsAAOSwiKpfcbtf

looks like a bit of shill bidding going on there!

2 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Crikey - bids going in seconds apart from the same bidder?! How does that even work?!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey - bids going in seconds apart from the same bidder?! How does that even work?!

if you turn on automatic bids, you can see that some bids are going in at 1 second apart....its likely the eBay auto bidder or an external auto bidder......but ive never seen that many bids that early in an model auction....its completely pointless....

my guess is....it was listed at 99p by mistake...by the time seller realised someone had bid....and the price couldn't be revised....

52 minutes ago, pheaton said:

if you turn on automatic bids, you can see that some bids are going in at 1 second apart....its likely the eBay auto bidder or an external auto bidder......but ive never seen that many bids that early in an model auction....its completely pointless....

my guess is....it was listed at 99p by mistake...by the time seller realised someone had bid....and the price couldn't be revised....

On the contrary, confident sellers of desireable items know that the 99p start price is the way to auction an item. It is a well known psychological technique that draws bidders in, just like real life auctions with no reserve and a low start.

I have lost count of the times I have won an item as the only bidder because the nervous seller starts it at what they actually want to sell it for, when an identical item started at 99p reaches a higher finishing price.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Model-Railway-Small-Joblot-Of-5-Pkts-of-Fuse-Wire-In-N-Or-Ho-Gauge-By/124364542377?hash=item1cf4b451a9:g:qUoAAOSw0GlfdwBZ&redirect=mobile

I can understand these perhaps being a collectors item,

by virtue of the name on the packs, but I'm struggling

to find the specific link to N and OO gauge???

Obvious innit?

Different sized wire for varying buffer beam pipework!

Mike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Graham-Farish-371-629-GWR-Railcar-20-and-21-in-GWR-chocolate-cream-wit/114439485576?redirect=mobile

Have Rocket Railways bern reading the comments on RMWeb

about their pricing, or am I missing something on this one.

A quick trawl through his now considerable listing shows fairly realistic prices (at least compared with what we've seen before).  Some individual wagons a bit optimistic as are the 2 Hornby Dublo 'Deltics'.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Model-Railway-Small-Joblot-Of-5-Pkts-of-Fuse-Wire-In-N-Or-Ho-Gauge-By/124364542377?hash=item1cf4b451a9:g:qUoAAOSw0GlfdwBZ&redirect=mobile

I can understand these perhaps being a collectors item,

by virtue of the name on the packs, but I'm struggling

to find the specific link to N and OO gauge???

Are they 'Rare'??

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Not so much fishy as blatant profiteering. 

Starting bid was £99, so yes - a bit of pushing it with the start price, but if others wish to bid up - so be it.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some people clearly have far too much disposable income!

I have to laugh at people who moan about how skint they are, then boast what they spent on a shirt.

I recently had someone tell me that I must be loaded because I bought another motorbike restoration project, until I told him it cost less than half what he claimed to have "blown through" whilst on holiday for two weeks last year.

I wouldn't do it, but if someone wants to splurge £200 on a model railway coach that may or may not be only valued at £40, then it's their choice.

• Agree 2

Just think how much model railway equipment is tied up by dealers and traded back and forth by dealers and wannabe dealers? It almost feels like a little victory to break the chain and 'rescue' something, to bring it back into the model-making light!?

There are Ebay dealers who would outbid Picasso for a bit of blank canvas!

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cheap at the minute, if past efforts are to go by it will finish nearer 4 figures.

Mike.

It will be interesting to see what they're "worth" in ten years time.

• Agree 3

On 28/09/2020 at 19:58, leopardml2341 said:

NOW relisted,

I used this link & be chance checked current sellers listings.

And gives an interesting reason to relist !

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

NOW relisted,

I used this link & be chance checked current sellers listings.

And gives an interesting reason to relist !

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

"Buyer did not wish to pay for it" 

There seems to be a lot of jokers who bid ridiculous amounts then back out. 

So why not offer it to the second top bidder?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2