Weathering DVD with Tim Shackleton

Our weathering DVD "Right Track 11 - Weathering Techniques with Tim Shackleton" has come back from the duplicators early so we have been able to release it this week.

If you have seen it or would like more details. I would very much appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Walsh (Activity Media)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Phill. Tim does talk about cleaning the airbrush and frequently cleans it during the programme by washing it through. But he doesn't show dismantling and cleaning it.

I guess different airbrushes come apart in different ways and I hoped this would be covered in the instructions with each airbrush.

Do you think this is something I need to cover in detail ?unsure.gif

Cheers

Chris

Sorry Phill. Tim does talk about cleaning the airbrush and frequently cleans it during the programme by washing it through. But he doesn't show dismantling and cleaning it.? ? 

I guess different airbrushes come apart in different ways and I hoped this would be covered in the instructions with each airbrush.

Do you think this is something I need to cover in detail ?unsure.gif

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Perhaps it would have been helpful to people like myself who are reasonably experienced weatherer/model painters but who have not yet taken the airbrush plunge yet? ? ? :blush:. I have a dual action airbrush similar to Tims but it has remained unused in it's box for about the last four years . I have read many articles on here where new users have had some success with their ? initial ? efforts but have ended up with a clogged non working airbrush by not fully understanding the cleaning procedure, which is why my airbrush is still unused in it's box? ? :blush: ? . I do appreciate that all types could not be covered within the remit of this DVD , although a general run down of the procedure on Tim's airbrush would have been useful .

Cheers Phill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Perhaps it would have been helpful to people like myself who are reasonably experienced weatherer/model painters but who have not yet taken the airbrush plunge yet :blush:. I have a dual action airbrush similar to Tims but it has remained unused in it's box for about the last four years . I have read many articles on here where new users have had some success with their initial efforts but have ended up with a clogged non working airbrush by not fully understanding the cleaning procedure, which is why my airbrush is still unused in it's box :blush: . I do appreciate that all types could not be covered within the remit of this DVD , although a general run down of the procedure on Tim's airbrush would have been useful .

Cheers Phill

Hi Phill. I have used DA airbrush (Badger) quite a lot and at the end of a session I spray spirit or turps through it for quite a time.This seems to work quite well. On a course I attended it was recommended that you dismantle after this cleaning spray and leave parts in thinners; turps; W spirit (whatever) and clean (very, very carefully) the nozzle (if that is it's name). I usually do that if I am not using the machine again for a while. Also don't forget to clean the cup and cup tube if it is removable (as on my Badger).

CHRIS:

perhaps a little paper insert to the DVD box giving basic cleaning advice would be useful as that means you would not have to re do any part of the DVD. I suppose links could be given to an advice section on BRM website?

Sincerely, Ivor Painter

Hi Chris,

Perhaps it would have been helpful to people like myself who are reasonably experienced weatherer/model painters but who have not yet taken the airbrush plunge yet? ? ? :blush:. I have a dual action airbrush similar to Tims but it has remained unused in it's box for about the last four years . I have read many articles on here where new users have had some success with their ? initial ? efforts but have ended up with a clogged non working airbrush by not fully understanding the cleaning procedure, which is why my airbrush is still unused in it's box? ? :blush: ? . I do appreciate that all types could not be covered within the remit of this DVD , although a general run down of the procedure on Tim's airbrush would have been useful .

Cheers Phill

Hi Phil, Chris,

To address the potential problem of the needle/nozzle becoming clogged, the needle must be removed first, then do the following:

If you have been using a petroleum based paint, then simply place the airbrush in a can of petrol, or any thinner until you require to use it next time. It will be clean, guaranteed. It will require a blow through with air mind when you next come to use it, nothing more. I do this a lot and over 40 years have never experienced a problem doing so.

Another alternative is to place the airbrush in a jewelers ultrasonic cleaner with either thinners or petrol in it and let it run for a period of 10 minutes. Ensure you remove the needle first. Once done blow it through and let it air dry.

Btw, what airbrush do you have laying in the draw..?

HTH,

Cheers, Tony

After Phill's comments, I've had a word with Tim this morning and he recommends a good flushing through on a regular basis (which is what he does do several times on the DVD).

Normally, this should be all that is needed most of the time but, even with frequent flushing, there must be times when a complete strip down and clean become necessary and this is what we do not cover. It's a bit beyond the remit of the DVD and more about airbrush maintenance but I am hoping we can put something together to show on YouTube.

It could take a while to record and edit something but please be patient...

Cheers,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

After Phill's comments, I've had a word with Tim this morning and he recommends a good flushing through on a regular basis (which is what he does do several times on the DVD).

Normally, this should be all that is needed most of the time but, even with frequent flushing, there must be times when a complete strip down and clean become necessary and this is what we do not cover. It's a bit beyond the remit of the DVD and more about airbrush maintenance but I am hoping we can put something together to show on YouTube.

It could take a while to record and edit something but please be patient...

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, I agree totally that we all need a good flushing through regularly; I would be reluctant to use the liquids used for the air brush though. (Apologies PR36EGC):unsure:

Do warn however that someone using an Aztek or other plastic body brush doesn't attempt leaving it in anything too toxic! I have soaked the nozzles on mine in airbrush cleaner before now but only for a short time before washing with water.

If you do cover stripping down a Badger brush it probably will suffice for many makes however.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have found the DVD very useful and enjoyable.

Spotting what's going on reflected in the windows is an aside.

The problem is that the DVD was released in the winter, I'm itching to get outside to try out the techniques on chair/table but it's too cold/wet!

It's true that things were going on in the house as we were recording the programme.

Just now and then a lady drifts past the window in the background just to tantalise the viewer wink.gif .

Seriously, though, I am pleased you are enjoying the programme and find it useful. The promo clip is just a few minutes long out of a programme that runs for almost 4 hours.

It's always difficult to find a selection of elements to include in such a short clip. So I have shown the locos etc in their "out of the box" condition and then show them as completed by Tim - just to give an idea of what he achieves in the full programme.

I like these DVD's and find them very useful and informative and I will no doubt add this to my collection.

I must say though that watching the clip I felt a certain unease when the blue Deltic appeared on the turntable. I thought "No! he's not going to is he?" And then the next second look what he did :O. I would never have done that in a million years to such a beautiful model and one that was so limited to get hold of :icon_cry:. I came over all stressed and tight in the chest! If I buy the DVD I will have to fast forward that bit LOL.

John Geeee

• RMweb Premium

I like these DVD's and find them very useful and informative and I will no doubt add this to my collection.

I must say though that watching the clip I felt a certain unease when the blue Deltic appeared on the turntable. I thought "No! he's not going to is he?" And then the next second look what he did :O. I would never have done that in a million years to such a beautiful model and one that was so limited to get hold of :icon_cry:. I came over all stressed and tight in the chest! If I buy the DVD I will have to fast forward that bit LOL.

John Geeee

Was it really a Baccy one or was it an old Kitmaster thingy? Before watching this DVD, obtain strong paper bag. When the mentioned offending part appears, place bag over mouth and breathe in and out steadily until your stress attack is over. Just in case this is not working, get a cup of tea during this part and then continue watching!

Sincerely, P.A. Ramaedic

• RMweb Premium

It's true that things were going on in the house as we were recording the programme. Just now and then a lady drifts past the window in the background just to tantalise the viewer wink.gif .

Seriously, though, I am pleased you are enjoying the programme and find it useful. The promo clip is just a few minutes long out of a programme that runs for almost 4 hours.

It's always difficult to find a selection of elements to include in such a short clip. So I have shown the locos etc in their "out of the box" condition and then show them as completed by Tim - just to give an idea of what he achieves in the full programme.

Now, was this really a lady, OR was it a ghostly creature from the POLEDS world (Protection of Limited Edition Deltics Society) haunting the programme? :O

Sincerely, S. Pooky

Yes it was a Bachmann NRM version. What's the issue with weathering a limited edition model?, its no different to doing any model. He's done a few of them including the VIA Trains '10000' LMS Twins.

Well said that man :icon_thumbsup2: , nothing wrong at all with making a good model even more realistic in my book :icon_wink:

Phill

• 1 month later...

Got my copy of the dvd and enjoyed it to no end loads of info and as far as the cleaning bit goes , a good flush after every paint change and then when all is done with and painting is completed I usually tear mine down and clean it well ready for the next show :-)) I loved the jobs he did I do wish though that he had done a bit more on the wagon end of things , maybe the next one eh :-))

• RMweb Premium

Got my copy of the dvd and enjoyed it to no end loads of info and as far as the cleaning bit goes , a good flush after every paint change and then when all is done with and painting is completed I usually tear mine down and clean it well ready for the next show :-)) I loved the jobs he did I do wish though that he had done a bit more on the wagon end of things , maybe the next one eh :-))

Yup. Can't beat spraying neat thinners/spirit for a good while after paint & THEN strip it too!

A. Brush

Archived