If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

New Member Just Joined

S&D Stephen

Hello,

My name is Stephen and I am a modeller interested in the Somerset and Dorset Line in both pre grouping and BR days. I also model the Southern Railway in both pre and post nationalisation periods. My cut off date is July 1967 for obvious reasons!

I have two questions the first is; I have two S&D Prussian Blue liveried locos and I need to know what would be the most appropriate coaches for them to haul. I have some old Mainline LMS coaches and I have spotted some full length Hornby LMS celestories but they look a bit toy like to be honest. Presumably pre the grouping the S&D had their own blue coaches and I have a rake of resprayed Tri-ang short GWR celestories in Blue that will have to fit the bill for now as I cannot seem to find any suitable RTR coaches at present.

My second question is; When will Bachmann make my dreams come true and produce the Fowler 7F 2-8-0 in Preserved Prussian Blue now that I believe they can use the correct Deeley tender as attached to the limited edition NRM Midland Compound. Yes I know it is wrong but it is a might have been, which looks so so pretty to my eyes.

Happy modelling everyone. Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen

Welcome aboard. You'll find all the info you ever needed on this site now - it really is a fablous resource.

I'd suggest that you put your question into one of the information needed sections of the site, as many of the people with the answers will read that - this area is a little restricted in its readership - but it is where we extend a welcoming virtual handshake to our newcomers.

Try here as a good starting point

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/25-modelling-questions-help-and-tips/

Regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to RMweb! I don't know how long you've been using the site, but I "lurked" for a couple of years before signing-up last November. It's a very addictive place, so I hope you've got a few hours to spare!

I can honestly say that I've learned a hell of a lot from the experts here - some of the best in the hobby.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Hi Stephen,

Welcome aboard! There's a fair number of Somerset and Dorset modellers here who will be happy to answer your questions. We do have a special section for the S&DJR called the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway Group. It would probably be best to pose your questions there rather than in the general questions, help and tips section (unless they are general questions, of course). You'll also need to be wary of some strange folk who think that S&D means an ancient coal railway somewhere up north and another lot who think S&DJR stands for Salisbury and Dorset Junction Railway. On the whole, though, they're friendly and harmless and we tolerate their misunderstanding :scratchhead:

Apart from the group here, this site is a useful reference for rolling stock and may give you some ideas about coaches. There is very little in the way of rtr to suit the earlier years, though almost anything could appear in the through trains from the north. For the later 1950s, the Hornby Maunsel set no 390 is one of the few that is speciic to the S&DJR. You may also find this thread interesting as it deals with post-nationalistation coaches.

You mentioned the grouping, but the S&DJR was not involved. It remained under separate joint control until 1930 when the LMS took over responsibility and everything changed to their livery. Previously, however, S&DJR goods engines had been mostly black since soon after WW1. One or two survived in blue, but definitely not the 7Fs. Whilst it may be pretty, I'm afraid I regard a blue 7F as an abomination :O

Nick

ps. on the other hand, one blue 3F did survive into LMS hands and the Jinties (Bagnalls) were blue when the LMS took over. Bachmann make both, so there are possibilities there.

Archived