Tucking Mill

queensquare

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to let anyone who was hoping to see TM at Swindon this weekend, sadly I've decided to withdraw it. On testing this evening I've had two more Cobalt point motors fail, making the horrible clicking noise. Im heartily sick of having to nurse these motors through everytime I take the layout out and have decided to take them all off and junk them - probably with a large hammer which will make me feel much better! I'm told the recent Cobalts are better than the early ones but I would never touch them again, they are junk.

I will be taking Foxcote instead which has a combination of wire in tube and Tortoises which I can rely on.

Jerry, just a little bit grumpy!!

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, I had the same problem with early Cobalts on Matford, They looked nice and compact when bought but didn't last long and were replaced by reliable Tortoises.

For Balcombe l've gone 'old school' and used wire in tube. This was after faultless operation on all of the Baron's creations!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jerry, I had the same problem with early Cobalts on Matford, They looked nice and compact when bought but didn't last long and were replaced by reliable Tortoises.

For Balcombe l've gone 'old school' and used wire in tube. This was after faultless operation on all of the Baron's creations!

Thanks John, not sure what to do yet. Tortoise would be my first choice but I'm not sure there is room, will have to see.

Jerry

I don't have room to change out for tortoise either, hence why I went for cobalt in the first place, but I have about 30% failures now after what has been almost no use because the layout has been stored for more than 5 years. A foolish purchase now I can look back with clarity. I reckon they've worked a day in their whole life ☹

• RMweb Gold

Just to let anyone who was hoping to see TM at Swindon this weekend, sadly I've decided to withdraw it. On testing this evening I've had two more Cobalt point motors fail, making the horrible clicking noise. Im heartily sick of having to nurse these motors through everytime I take the layout out and have decided to take them all off and junk them - probably with a large hammer which will make me feel much better! I'm told the recent Cobalts are better than the early ones but I would never touch them again, they are junk.

I will be taking Foxcote instead which has a combination of wire in tube and Tortoises which I can rely on.

Jerry, just a little bit grumpy!!

After helping you at Expo EM, my ears are now attuned to the Cobalt "tick".  It's surprising how often you can hear it at exhibitions.

Even if they have been improved, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. As you say, there are better solutions.

Marktick-remover_3199_800x700.jpg

Edited by 2mmMark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As an interesting connection with Jerry's modelling, a couple of geological maps by William Smith appeared on the Antiques Roadshow earlier this evening (of the Leicester area) and were given an estimated valuation of twenty to thirty-thousand pounds!

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As an interesting connection with Jerry's modelling, a couple of geological maps by William Smith appeared on the Antiques Roadshow earlier this evening (of the Leicester area) and were given an estimated valuation of twenty to thirty-thousand pounds!

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for the heads up Dave, he was a fascinating character. I shall try to find the episode on catch up.

One of his original maps is on display at the Royal Geological Society, normally behind curtains to stop it from fading. They will happily draw the curtain back for anyone interested and it really is a beautiful thing and a remarkable piece of work.

post-1074-0-35818300-1537132500_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 7

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

thanks for that  ( I think :unsure:)   bank is a lot lighter for this post   but they do look so good

Nick 

Hi Nick, Ive just reviewed them for BRM and they are stunning, in my opinion probably the best steam era coaches produced RTR to date. I'm really stretching credibility running them in to Bath on an excursion, a trip on the North Somerset light is pure fantasy land!

With the review done I will at some point invalidate the warranty by converting them to 2FS, repaint the roofs and apply some light weathering, particularly around the underframe which will lift some of the very fine detail that is lost in the flat black and shadow. I've already thrown the couplings away!

I really hope they do well for Farish which might encourage further adventures into pre-grouping.

Jerry

• Like 1

I can remember the real things, typically a pair of sets, with a C on the front, heading to Allhallows on a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday morning. Weren't in that livery, of course, but they did look nice in unlined red.

9 hours ago, bécasse said:

I can remember the real things, typically a pair of sets, with a C on the front, heading to Allhallows on a Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday morning. Weren't in that livery, of course, but they did look nice in unlined red.

If you will attend the diamond jubilee expo I hope that I can show the birdcage coaches in the setting you describe. A bit earlier perhaps... I'm building Allhallows as a DJLC entry.

Jan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jan W said:

If you will attend the diamond jubilee expo I hope that I can show the birdcage coaches in the setting you describe. A bit earlier perhaps... I'm building Allhallows as a DJLC entry.

Jan

I suspect a SECR set will run on Ripple

Nick

• RMweb Gold

On 16/04/2019 at 19:53, queensquare said:

A  pristine rake of coaches turned up at Tucking Mill today. Compared to the normal ancient, second hand stock, they offered the height of luxury!

jerry

20190416_183519.jpg.cb183de2fd7188ffd09c517d738176ad.jpg

When do the Tucking Mill platform extension works start then Jerry! 

I’d fully agree that the birdcages are probably the best N Gauge RTR coaching stock produced to date and my rule 1 green set will see far more use on Ropley than they should! 

9Q3A1654.jpg.ac6e0dcbe764deace4f8433bd262d070.jpg

Tom. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The loco for the return working of those lovely Birdcage coaches eventually turned up today, Farish's much anticipated C arrived and its a little corker.  The review should be in the September BRM followed a couple of months later by an article on converting it to 2FS and a few aesthetic tweaks to the body - though to be fair there is very limited scope for improvement. Who would have believed just a few years ago that we would have pre-group models of this quality RTR in 2mm/N. Happy days.

190856905_ChathamC.jpg.17ed3335bcf2fb9a24486f3cd748335c.jpg

Jerry

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, queensquare said:

The loco for the return working of those lovely Birdcage coaches eventually turned up today, Farish's much anticipated C arrived and its a little corker.  The review should be in the September BRM followed a couple of months later by an article on converting it to 2FS and a few aesthetic tweaks to the body - though to be fair there is very limited scope for improvement. Who would have believed just a few years ago that we would have pre-group models of this quality RTR in 2mm/N. Happy days.

190856905_ChathamC.jpg.17ed3335bcf2fb9a24486f3cd748335c.jpg

Jerry

I want ! 

on pre-order after Mrs B agreed how pretty it looks ( result )

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
update
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick word of caution for those looking to buy a C to convert to 2FS. I was in the process of doing the conversion for a future article when it became clear that Farish have altered the design and reverted back to a solid chassis with wiper pickups meaning that the Association bearings to allow our wheels to be dropped in wont work. The new Farish bearings are smaller and the chassis is, in any case, not set up for split axle. All in all, a bit of a pain in the bum for those wishing to convert it to 2FS - as you can see I was all ready to switch the wheels over when it dawned on me!

I should, however, emphasise that this is not a criticism of the model. It looks and runs beautifully in N gauge, it just means that for those of us who want to finescale it we will have to come up with a plan B. Hmmm...... any body got a set of Neil Balantine wheels in their gloat box....... 

135482862_C3.JPG.2996d41067113b11c4f3d8d5f534f462.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice Jerry. The Neil Ballantine wheels are not a solution for everyone. I doubt there are that many around by now.  I presume the other options are getting the wheels turned down or building a new  chassis.

Don

Edited by Donw