Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts re 3D centres were directed at plastic insulated ones to enable a fairly quick/simple conversion using the chassis ‘as is’, just hanging them on the existing axles. Another thought that occurs is whether delrin bushes could be generated to replace the brass ones, thus enabling standard wheel use. But I think that perhaps there isn’t the room for even the smaller muffs to be used with them in the chassis from the looks of the photos.

Izzy

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, JohnBS said:

Jerry,

Spotted yesterday.

I’m not very good at engines that aren’t dark green. Perhaps it is a 2F with some old compartment stock? 

Warm wishes,

John

Morning John,

its definitely a Midland loco in that livery although the class designations on the coach doors has me baffled!

Jerry

• Funny 1

26 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Morning John,

its definitely a Midland loco in that livery although the class designations on the coach doors has me baffled!

Jerry

I think 25th class is a modern innovation for services which connect with Ryan Air.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnBS said:

Jerry,

Spotted yesterday.

I’m not very good at engines that aren’t dark green. Perhaps it is a 2F with some old compartment stock? 

Warm wishes,

John

B0164482-7FDA-4C19-B5A8-75DEB45D6814.jpeg

I would say it has origins in a Schenectady engine, as opposed to a Baldwin mogul.  The cars look to be old Midland Pullmans.

But I am due an eye test shortly. 

Tim 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, JohnBS said:

Spotted yesterday....

At least this one seen today is in black, but it's a pity they didn't manage to get it to sit level or hide that gear wheel in the centre! 

DSC_1117.JPG.80a1ec8a2f41153846b6278b2531b733.JPG

Built Vienna 1889,so definitely Pre-grouping.

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
B****y predictive text again!
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Look at that great big Phillips screw head in the middle of the gear!

Think that's to let you disconnect the con-rod to check the quartering!:D 

Jim 

• Funny 1

The person who rivetted the tanks must have been having a bad day too....

(it seems that this loco is a 2008 "rebuild" using a set of original frames and a new boiler/tanks so I'm guessing that the tanks are welded with fake rivet heads glued on).

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

At least this one seen today is in black, but it's a pity they didn't manage to get it to sit level or hide that gear wheel in the centre! 

Built Vienna 1889,so definitely Pre-grouping.

Jim 

The name and builders plates are on straight Jim so they've obviously forgotten to tighten up the rear body fixing screw - we've all done it! :drinks:

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, queensquare said:

The name and builders plates are on straight Jim so they've obviously forgotten to tighten up the rear body fixing screw - we've all done it! :drinks:

Jerry

There is a plate on the other side with a tick list for maintainance checks. I'll try and get a shout of that next time. 

I'll be having ein grosse bier with my dinner tonight!

Jim 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

The person who rivetted the tanks must have been having a bad day too....

(it seems that this loco is a 2008 "rebuild" using a set of original frames and a new boiler/tanks so I'm guessing that the tanks are welded with fake rivet heads glued on).

Andy

Maybe the new tanks were an etch with the sides half etched and the rivets unetched. It would have needed a h**l of a soldering iron to put it together, though! :jester:

Jim 

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

The bar is on the other side of the valley

zillertalbahn_bier.jpg

Us. Seen that when we've been here before. Never mind a really useful engine, that's what you call a really useful wagon! Every layout should have one (or more), preferably fully loaded. :D

One has to keep ones fluid levels up in this heat. 

Jim 

• Agree 1

Two memories stand out from my holiday in Jenbach (scarily it was something like 25 years ago!) - one was the almost nightly thunderstorms which broke the daytime heat (very impressive when the thunder echoes around the mountains) and the second was the invite to the grand opening of the new fire station in the town. I wasn't old enough to partake of the Schnapps, but I do still remember the grilled sausages and the oompah band! We enjoyed rides on both the Zillertalbahn and the Achenseebahn.

Looks like you're having a good holiday, Jim

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

On 22/07/2019 at 18:01, Caley Jim said:

There is a plate on the other side with a tick list for maintainance checks......

Here's the plate I mentioned 

DSC_1154.JPG.b219bfa14b614469ed75b50efd9f0ada.JPG

This one is on No 1. Theodor. 

DSC_1153.JPG.520cfc7a57ccde911daedefa37538642.JPG

They don't seem to have tightened up the screw on this one either. 

Jim 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, timatheronwood said:

The centre wheel has indications of a belt drive to the rear axle. 

Tim

Not sure if you were serious, but that looks like it's a band brake on the rack drive jackshaft. You can see an operating crank just above the middle of the rear section of the coupling rod. 

The shaft will drive the rack wheel visible under the centre of the loco - it's a rack-and-adhesion system and it's pictured on a section with no rack rail.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, chrisveitch said:

The shaft will drive the rack wheel visible under the centre of the loco - it's a rack-and-adhesion system and it's pictured on a section with no rack rail.

There is a reduction gearing between the drive shaft and the rack wheel shaft, which means that when running it looks and sounds as if it should be going much faster than it actually is.  The outside cranks on the rack wheel shaft then drive the coupled wheels via the coupling rods.

The last section of the line from Eben am Achensee to the pier at Seespitz is more or less level, so the rack stops at Eben.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

That blue engine on the left sticks out like a sore thumb!

It needs weathering ... :D

........although it is the only one with lamps:-)

The blue engine below does need weathering but it will be making its first public appearance since visiting the paint shop.

Jerry

20190905_201456.jpg.4fa898c3a3d15a212af8f0919f942580.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6