Tucking Mill

queensquare

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Ted helping me put the locos through their paces. Hopefully his enthusiasm for Granddad's trains will remain as he grows up.

With eyes full of interest and wonder, I bet he could spend ages talking through all the bits with you. Maybe worth exhibiting at pre-school rather than some shows when you see the grumpy Saturday-morning faces? ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2019 at 08:43, queensquare said:

Many thanks to Tom E for helping me out over the weekend, particularly as I shot off to my nieces wedding on the Saturday where I took full advantage of the free bar and didnt return till mid-morning on the Sunday!

A pleasure as always Jerry! 

You surely can't get many better settings than STEAM for a model railway show! 

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On Friday, September 06, 2019 at 10:37, queensquare said:

My last picture before loading up for Swindon, Ted helping me put the locos through their paces. Hopefully his enthusiasm for Granddad's trains will remain as he grows up.

Jerry

IMG-20190905-WA0005.jpg.8b10413469a7aa35d879409bde9cbd8a.jpg 

May I say that's a lovely image, Jerry. 

It's probably already there, but a copy in a nice frame, taking pride of place in the railway room springs to mind. 

Rob. 

IMG-20190905-WA0005.jpg.8b10413469a7aa35d879409bde9cbd8a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As advised elsewhere, I have sent the remaining original Cobalts back and paid the difference to upgrade to the Analog IP version. I dealt with a very pleasant and efficient girl on the phone and the new motors should be with me on Friday. I'm at Missenden this weekend but hope to get them fitted next week. I will report on how I get on but, to be fair to DCC concepts, the upgraded replacements already fitted haven't skipped a beat so far.

Jerry

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Its quite an improvement.  Did you have to remove much from the backs of the splashers and what dia meter rims did your friend use ?  And if I might ask, does it run as smoothly post conversion ? I wondered about replacing the rims just wasn't sure if I could get it to run as well as it did in n gauge form.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, SandHutton said:

Its quite an improvement.  Did you have to remove much from the backs of the splashers and what dia meter rims did your friend use ?  And if I might ask, does it run as smoothly post conversion ? I wondered about replacing the rims just wasn't sure if I could get it to run as well as it did in n gauge form.

It runs as well as ever. The wheels are a little larger at 10mm, now, instead of the original 9.6mm. The body ride height has been reduced a little to compensate for the slightly larger wheels, which tucks the wheels up into the splashers more and also brings the loco and tender footplate in line. The distance over wheel faces is usually about the same in 2mm and N despite the BtoB being greater due to much narrower wheels.

Jerry

It is very nice Jerry. I'm old enough to remember them shunting Hither Green Sidings before the diesel shunters arrived as well as having seen them on both freight and passenger workings - indeed, I have travelled behind one a couple of times.

One minor point, I haven't checked (folly!) but I have a sneaking suspicion that the steam reverser cylinders should be lined (not, of course, that I ever saw them in any SECR livery let alone the pre-Great War one).

• Informative/Useful 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I think its fair to say that 2020 has been a bit rubbish, here's hoping that 2021 is a lot better and that, at some time, we will be allowed out to play again.

As last year, we’ve not sent cards but donated to the Forever Friends charity at the RUH hospital in Bath. When our youngest grandson was so keen to see us all that he arrived a month early they looked after both him and us fantastically. He’s a thriving, bouncy one year old now.... :D

Merry Christmas to one and all

Jerry and Kim

IMG_1491_(2).png.fc517535adbc45e42f0bfa30b88d3683.png

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 1 month later...

Hi .Jerry, Ive been watching your (TV Chanels for a while now) Highbury ,Foxcote,Bath Queenssquare now Tucking Mill,Whats next?

Ithink your shed has been out grown and you need a new one if you plan a new project. I am green with envy  Iwish I could produce  Locos   and buildings to your standard. Keep up the good work and I hope to see you in the near future when the shows start again in the Sussex area amazing work thanks Jerry .Ray

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the middle of this collection of photos from Combe Down there is a steam lorry for Fuller's Earth deliveries at Tucking Mill. It is one of those chance discoveries, while looking for something else. https://www.combedown.org/combe-down-development-timeline/combe-down-monkton-combe-prior-park-photos/entertainments-and-events/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

In the middle of this collection of photos from Combe Down there is a steam lorry for Fuller's Earth deliveries at Tucking Mill. It is one of those chance discoveries, while looking for something else. https://www.combedown.org/combe-down-development-timeline/combe-down-monkton-combe-prior-park-photos/entertainments-and-events/

Hi Phil, many thanks for the link. The picture features in a couple of books and is in fact taken in the Midland goods yard at Bath, the end of the Goods offices is on the extreme left and I'm pretty sure it's the roof of the Midland coal stage on the right, the wagon load of pit props is interesting. 

That said it's a wonderful picture, I'd love to model one of these steam lorries at some point, it would look good on TM or my Bath layout.

A quick look round the rest of the site reveals more gems, including a couple of the canal, Mill and Tucking Mill House (one time home of William Smith) which are new to me.

Jerry 

Edited by queensquare

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a long hiatus, (its been over a year since posting on this thread) the world does seems to be slowly creeping back toward normality. TM is booked to go down to the SWAG members day on 24th April and  I have just filled out the forms for Warley and volunteered Tom E to help out for the weekend.

To celebrate all this activity I am putting together all the bits needed for a new (sic) loco for the NSLR, an ex SECR O class. The Colonel had one on the EKR so why not hauling coal in North Somerset. Having a dedicated tender loco with all those wheels picking up will also be very useful for exhibitions.

The target is to have her finished in time for Warley in November although I am hopeful of being able to show some progress by the SWAG Taunton event. As ever, we shall see!

Jerry

952849293_SECRO2001(2).jpg.a6fe4202fbde7c81856a8658a3c8cb33.jpg

20190306_115918(0).jpg.89df7dd71e857d6bd67ce0bdbd8eb141.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Have fun forming that cabsides/roof wrap-over for the Stirling cab!

Jim (from experience with the one on CR 426!)

Jim

Thanks Jim - it was that distinctive cab which made me opt for the O. The other option was an LNWR Cauliflower, the Colenal had  something similar on the S&M.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Jim - it was that distinctive cab which made me opt for the O. The other option was an LNWR Cauliflower, the Colenal had  something similar on the S&M.

Jerry

third attempt to reply

have tried this twice issue is fitting a motor in the tender used a hacked Bob Jones chassis worked ok but then it all went pear shaped

I used a jig 3d cut to form the cab

will watch with interest and hopefully steal some ideas

Nick B

EKLR nut

Edited by nick_bastable
extra info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

third attempt to reply

have tried this twice issue is fitting a motor in the tender used a hacked Bob Jones chassis worked ok but then it all went pear shaped

I used a jig 3d cut to form the cab

will watch with interest and hopefully steal some ideas

Nick B

EKLR nut

I will report the build on here. The idea at the moment is to use the loco frames on the etch with one of the new association gearboxes. Not measured the tender but doesnt look any smaller than the Kirtley so a 7mm coreless should fit.

Jerry

• Agree 1