Tucking Mill

queensquare

Knowing Julia it will have been fitted with DCC couplings, lights, and separate handrails by 4pm.

Can't see any point rodding on that track though.... :tomato:

There already are "finescale Brio" couplings; there pictured on the older of the banners which accompany the PR stand, towards the bottom. Invented by one of the East Anglian Wheel Elves.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Extra isolating sections Jerry, I thought you were going DCC?

Bath will be DCC but the NSLR will remain analouge, at least for the moment - although having seen the latest CT chips there isn't much they won't fit. Locos like Bodmin remain a problem - that doesn't even have a boiler, just a saddle tank blu-tacked on to the motor, and of course it can't be popped up into the cab roof as it hasn't got one of those either! New locos like the Hudswell Clarke and Terrier have got room for a chip and I suspect that in the long run all will be chipped.

Jerry

That traction engine is superb! I think it would look good in a rich mid-green, or maybe maroon lined with yellow :-) The buildings, and the mill especially, are wonderfully evocative too.

I had been looking forward to seeing the layout at Warley, but unfortunately I've just realised I won't be able to go. Do you have any other bookings lined up?

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That traction engine is superb! I think it would look good in a rich mid-green, or maybe maroon lined with yellow :-) The buildings, and the mill especially, are wonderfully evocative too.

I had been looking forward to seeing the layout at Warley, but unfortunately I've just realised I won't be able to go. Do you have any other bookings lined up?

Justin

Thanks Justin, Kim has decided it will be a deep red so I will be digging out my pot of crimson lake this evening.

We are still exhibiting Highbury so Tucking Mill hasn't got a lot of dates yet although we are booked for Railex Aylesbury next year.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst most of the stock for Tucking Mill will be that which I use on Highbury, I still wanted a few new wagons - despite the fact I already have way too many!

The first three are from the etches offered by http://www.mathieson....com/Etches.php

They go together remarkably well considering they are reductions from 7mm. The ex Taff Vale brake has a 2mm Association 9' underframe and running boards etc from the kit.

The ex Barry opens are pretty much as the kit designer intended. All will be finished in NSLR livery.

Whilst on the site I noticed he has done some more liveries suitable for North Somerset and the S&D so another order for some of his lovely wagons will be winging its way to York soon.

post-1074-0-27618000-1348160269_thumb.jpg

The second picture shows three of six I made (ten actualy as I made four for John Greenwood) for the cut stone traffic which will be a feature of TC. Like on Highbury the loading facility will be off stage and there will be a rake of loaded and a rake of empties. They are simple scratchbuilds in plasticard with Association underframes.

post-1074-0-30821600-1348160295_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

What do you do for the rivets?

Ta,

Richard.

I was going to ask that too!! Originally it looked like he'd drilled holes and inserted plastic rod through (but I can't see them on the inside).

Its nothing as complex as that. The rivets are spots of paint applied with a sharpened cocktail stick. The paint is a fabric paint for putting on T-shirts. Its quite thick and sticky. PVA also works but its very difficult to judge how big the rivets are due to it being white on white.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great workmanship there Jerry. It quite a shock after looking at the first two pictures of the traction engine to see the actual size against the coin. I really like the wagons, fairly simple but so nicecly executed.

Don

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A quick update on Tucking Mill following frantic efforts to get it ready for Warley. The pictures were taken in the workshop shortly before it was packed away ready for its trip north hence the complete lack of any trains in the pictures although, for the North Somerset Light that's probably fairly prototypical!

Still lots of detailing and colour blending to go but its getting there.

post-1074-0-43425000-1355445080_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-84278800-1355445110_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-63568400-1355445142_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-10885000-1355445173_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-99933200-1355445211_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-47505900-1355445237_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks all.

Gordon, you are probably right, the MofT insisting on rubber tyres I think stems from the years after the first war when tarmacadam on roads became more common. Traction engines with the cast hatched tread tended to make a bit of a mess of it! The bottom line is the rubber tyres were an awful lot quicker to make!!

Don, the trees, backscene painting, coal stage, signal box, ballasting, ground cover.......are all new since Bedford. I was a busy boy!

Dave, sorry I missed you at Warley. Kim and I had the same problem trying to make it over to Charmouth!

Jerry